MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by N, March 01, 2005, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Hoosiersfan2323 on March 03, 2018, 11:36:34 AM
Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on March 02, 2018, 10:17:46 PM
Aurora stuns #4 Washington-St. Louis 82-80 in the first round! The Bears hit a 3 to tie the game with 1.6 seconds left, but with no timeouts remaining, Marcus Myers shook free in the frontcourt, they found him, and the NACC Player of the Year buried the dagger at the buzzer.

The Spartans advance to play Nebraska Wesleyan in the second round tomorrow night.

What an insane finish. Still trying to figure out how Wash U let Myers get that open.

Two things:

* The Bears started retreating after Matt Nester hit his trey, but four of them stopped at the top of the key and retraced their steps back towards the inbounder, Max Vickers. That's because three of the Spartans made no effort whatsoever to come up the floor. Now, 1.6 seconds isn't enough time to take a close-in inbounds pass and dribble your way forward to any kind of a decent shot, but it's hard to blame the Bears defenders in this situation. From the moment you first pick up a basketball as a kid, you're trained to stay close to the player you're defending, and that's what the Bears were doing.

* Marcus Myers was the only Spartan to come up the floor, and he was very canny about the way that he did it. Watch the clip again. He watches Nester's shot go in, turns with no urgency whatsoever, and starts walking up the floor. He gave off the vibe that he had conceded that the game was destined to go into overtime. Then, just after PBP announcer Jay Murry (who did a great job of calling this endgame craziness, by the way) made his comment that "a prayer was answered", Myers breaks into a sprint towards the left elbow at the other end of the floor. The one Bear who had gone down the floor at first, Jake Knupp, never got close enough to Myers to challenge the Aurora star's shot.

That was not only a clever deke by Myers, it was an amazing shot as well -- off-balance, shooter drifting to his left, not squared up, from twenty feet out. But I wonder if the entire play -- including the rest of the Spartans hanging back in the backcourt, with Myers slowly leaking out into the forecourt -- was drawn up by AU head coach Lance Robinson. If so, then good on ya, Lance. If not, then that was a great improvisation all around by the Spartans.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Had to be improvised. I mean, the Aurora player who first gets the ball after the Wash U 3 pointer nearly calls a timeout (at least it looks like it, a la Chris Webber).
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

I don't think that that indicates improvisation at all. In fact, I think it probably indicates the opposite. The player in question (#20, Ty Carlson) caught the ball as it came down through the cylinder and nearly pulled a Chris Webber, as you mentioned. But watch Matt Dunn (#3). At the 0:11 mark of the clip he turns his head back to the AU bench and immediately points at Vickers as Vickers is stepping across the endline. Dunn is standing so close to Carlson that he probably yelled "Inbound!" or something to that effect as well. It's obvious that Dunn had gotten a signal from either Lance Robinson or one of his assistants and was telling Carlson to play through the situation by giving the ball to Vickers to be inbounded.

In fact, that head turn by Dunn and his immediate gesture thereafter to point at Vickers makes it even more likely that the final play was called by the AU bench. I'm not going to bet all of the corn in Manito on it -- but I'll bet at least a silo's worth. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Stoppable

Sadly, Saturday was a different story, as Aurora was defeated by Nebraska Wesleyan 82-61 in the second round.

In other NACC news, Mark Boyle has hung up his clipboard after 30 years at the helm at Marian. Boyle finishes his coaching tenure, which predates the Sabres' entry into Division III, with a 390-423 (.480) record, 5 conference regular season titles, and a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances in 2001 and 2014.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

Greek Tragedy

So with the addition of Illinois Tech and the NACC going to 12 teams, are they planning on going to two divisions?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 08, 2018, 01:24:05 PM
So with the addition of Illinois Tech and the NACC going to 12 teams, are they planning on going to two divisions?

They haven't for soccer, although it's much easier to do in sports with more games.  I've heard rumors of divisions, but likely more wishful thinking than reality.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

I was reminded Benedictine leaves next year, so they probably wouldn't do it for a year.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Stoppable

Based on the schedules that I've seen put out, it does not appear that they're going back to two divisions next year, but are keeping a 20 game conference schedule (meaning each team will have two teams that they only play once).

NCAA Appearances

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on July 12, 2018, 08:38:09 PM
Based on the schedules that I've seen put out, it does not appear that they're going back to two divisions next year, but are keeping a 20 game conference schedule (meaning each team will have two teams that they only play once).

Yeah. I saw Lakeland's schedule posted and had 20 conference games.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Just Bill

If they had 12 men's teams and 12 women's teams they'd probably play divisions, but that 13th women's program throws a wrench in scheduling, coordinating doubleheaders, etc.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Ryan Stoppable

It would have worked even better now, with Illinois Tech and without Maranatha, the (men's) teams split 6-6 along state lines. But they probably figured it wouldn't pay to rework the schedule for just one year before Benedictine leaves.

And 13 teams seems like a pain to schedule no matter how you do it.

NCAA Appearances

Just Bill

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on July 16, 2018, 05:22:20 PM
It would have worked even better now, with Illinois Tech and without Maranatha, the (men's) teams split 6-6 along state lines. But they probably figured it wouldn't pay to rework the schedule for just one year before Benedictine leaves.

And 13 teams seems like a pain to schedule no matter how you do it.
It doesn't matter because the men's and women's schedules need to work in conjunction to accommodate doubleheaders, and the women's side will always have one more team. So if you try divisions either the men's side or the women's side is always unbalanced.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.