New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 22, 2016, 04:47:43 PM
My apologies if that was the intended suggestion.  When blooter442 wrote that he is "trying to figure out how Babson is ahead of Tufts in the RRs" combined with throwing out RvR's (that don't yet exist), I took as (1) a question about how the committee arrived at the relative ranking of the two teams, and (2) potentially less than a full understanding of the criteria being used by the committee. I would probably also opine that Tufts is better than Babson at the moment, and if I had understood that to be the ascertain I wouldn't have had anything to interject here.

Understood.  We know and respect you. 

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 22, 2016, 04:47:43 PM
My apologies if that was the intended suggestion.  When blooter442 wrote that he is "trying to figure out how Babson is ahead of Tufts in the RRs" combined with throwing out RvR's (that don't yet exist), I took as (1) a question about how the committee arrived at the relative ranking of the two teams, and (2) potentially less than a full understanding of the criteria being used by the committee. I would probably also opine that Tufts is better than Babson at the moment, and if I had understood that to be the ascertain I wouldn't have had anything to interject here.

FW you are definitely correct that I wanted to know and did not understand the process fully, but as 1970s NESCAC Player stated ultimately my comment was a tongue-in-cheek reference to how I would have done things if I had control of the rules/process. Regardless, I do appreciate the explanation! It certainly clears up my confusion.

blooter442

On the subject of Babson, for what it's worth, they won again today against WPI, 2–0. They have not lost since September 18, which is impressive, and may well be in for a shout for a Pool C should they failed to win the NEWMAC. That said, I do think that Tufts would be chosen over them in a "one bid left" situation, especially with RvR coming into play for this week's (and subsequent) RRs, as while Babson beat a ranked opponent today Tufts did too and is 4–0 RvR.

Off Pitch

Projected week 2 "REAL" rankings for New England. (spreadsheet updated using SOS numbers from first data sheet)

1.  Amherst
2.  Mass-Boston
3.  Tufts
4.  Rhode Island
5.  Williams
6.  Babson
7.  Brandeis
8.  Clark
9.  Middlebury
10.  Conn
11.  Coast Guard
12.  WPI

next 3:  Bowdoin, Gordon, Endicott

Springfield (14-1-1) does not appear in the top 15 due to sub .500 SOS.  If their SOS was .510, the spreadsheet would have them in position #10.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Off Pitch on October 23, 2016, 03:17:53 PM
Projected week 2 "REAL" rankings for New England. (spreadsheet updated using SOS numbers from first data sheet)

1.  Amherst
2.  Mass-Boston
3.  Tufts
4.  Rhode Island
5.  Williams
6.  Babson
7.  Brandeis
8.  Clark
9.  Middlebury
10.  Conn
11.  Coast Guard
12.  WPI

Springfield (14-1-1) does not appear in the top 15 due to sub .500 SOS.  If their SOS was .510, the spreadsheet would have them in position #10.

Mr.Right's Projected Week 2 New England Rankings:

1. Amherst
2. UMASS Boston
3. Tufts
4. Babson
5. Rhode Island College
6. Middlebury
7. Williams
8. Brandeis
9. Clark
10. Conn
11. Bowdoin
12. Endicott

No way Midd drops from #4 to #9 because of 1 unranked loss. Unranked losses do not matter as much as ranked ones. Williams will not jump a spot because of a 1-1-0 record for the week plus a horrific RvR. Brandeis better hope Wash U stays ranked because after losing today I do not see a legit win on Wash U's resume. Babson with a high SOS will keep moving up. Bowdoin will not drop off the rankings because they of a draw with a ranked team. Coast Guard for me should never be there and they will drop off along with WPI. Endicott sneaks on after a big win over Wentworth and a pretty good SOS.

NEsoccerfan20

Looking forward to the Endicott v Gordon game on Tuesday... As a close follower of the CCC I have to say these two are still the favorites... Gordon's loss to Wentworth last week was mind boggling to me but Wentworth pressed smartly and scored two set piece goals... Endicott then goes on to beat Wentworth 2-0 with their defense looking rock solid and very athletic... The leopards wanted no part of the game... Im giving Gordon the slight edge Tuesday because of offensive talent but the Gulls back line and keeper definitely have a chance to shut them down... This game is big for playoff seeding as EC needs a result to clinch the one seed...
Thoughts on the CCC?

blooter442

Quote from: NEsoccerfan20 on October 23, 2016, 07:08:39 PM
Looking forward to the Endicott v Gordon game on Tuesday... As a close follower of the CCC I have to say these two are still the favorites... Gordon's loss to Wentworth last week was mind boggling to me but Wentworth pressed smartly and scored two set piece goals... Endicott then goes on to beat Wentworth 2-0 with their defense looking rock solid and very athletic... The leopards wanted no part of the game... Im giving Gordon the slight edge Tuesday because of offensive talent but the Gulls back line and keeper definitely have a chance to shut them down... This game is big for playoff seeding as EC needs a result to clinch the one seed...
Thoughts on the CCC?

Should be exciting. I personally thought Gordon would roll this year, as they brought back 80% of their goals and Spoonhour, who is a good GK. I know Wentworth had a good year last year but didn't think they would be challenging for the CCC, but they are impressive and have some good pace. Endicott though was perhaps underrated going into this year and has done reasonably well.

Based on sheer experience and overall talent, I'd give Gordon a slight edge as favorites for the CCC. That said, they have two teams right on their heels ready to punish them if they slip up.

oldonionbag

Unrelated to the conversation above (sorry Bloots), but take a look at the ball put into the box at the minute mark by UMass Boston.  An absolutely beautiful ball and passage of play all around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pg_pMN2TA

Mr.Right

Also, in the highlights notice how HARD it is to take Williamson off the ball...He is a beast just not totally fit IMO but UMASS Boston is going to get a good pod on the 1st Weekend of the NCAA's. The question is will they host? Because they do not technically have a home field. They better pray whoever is hosting will be on turf as I feel UMASS Boston is a total turf team.

NEsoccerfan20

With the second week of NCAA rankings looming, who do we think has a shot in the NE region for an at-large? Assuming the likes of Amherst, Umass Boston, Babson win their conference. How many teams from this region will be selected, 4/5? Any teams under the radar that could sneak into the tournament that aren't necessarily talked about enough?

PaulNewman

Quote from: NEsoccerfan20 on October 26, 2016, 01:34:41 PM
With the second week of NCAA rankings looming, who do we think has a shot in the NE region for an at-large? Assuming the likes of Amherst, Umass Boston, Babson win their conference. How many teams from this region will be selected, 4/5? Any teams under the radar that could sneak into the tournament that aren't necessarily talked about enough?

I think the one that sticks out right now is RIC because of the decent to good SoS..  And will be interesting to see what happens with Springfield.

Off Pitch

Quote from: Off Pitch on October 23, 2016, 03:17:53 PM

Projected                   Actual 10/26    SOS
1.  Amherst                1.  Amherst               .565
2.  Mass-Boston          2.  Tufts                     .604
3.  Tufts                      3.  Mass-Boston         .537
4.  Rhode Island         4.  Clark                    .541
5.  Williams                 5.  Middlebury           .566
6.  Babson                  6.  Rhode Island        .579
7.  Brandeis                7.  Babson                 .614
8.  Clark                     8.  Brandeis               .637
9.  Middlebury            9.  Williams               .595
10.  Conn                  10.  Conn                   .558
11.  Coast Guard       11.  Coast Guard       .547
12.  WPI                    12.  WPI                     .574

Observations:
-  Bowdoin dropped out of the rankings after ties with ranked Williams and ranked Conn
-  Clark remains ranked ahead of Babson and Brandeis despite losing to both
-  Williams beats Hamilton but loses to #2 Tufts and drops 3 spots - below Babson who they beat head to head
-  Middlebury beats Colby-Sawyer and loses to unranked Bates and drops only 1 spot

Clark and Middlebury appear to be ranked too highly.  Of course Midd followed their loss to Bates with a loss to Williams, so they will drop.   Clark is 4-3 in their last 7 games during which time they have not beaten anyone with a winning record.

Mr.Right

Well Midd only dropped to #5 because of the unranked loss to Bates. After the ranked loss to Williams and if they lose again to Williams on Saturday they are "cooked"...In fact the loser of the Williams v Midd game on Saturday will be definitely OUT. Williams still has work to do as I think they must get to the Nescac Final to get a Pool C. Midd might have a slight chance if they draw Williams and lose in PK's but I really doubt it.

Clark is a total mystery. They lose to Babson and Brandeis but with WPI and Coast Guard still MYSTERIOUSLY ranked Clark's RvR looks good. Their SOS does not and if I were them I would make sure to beat Springfield which also at 14-1-1 will really boost Clark's SOS and OWP.

Brandeis gets a well deserved #8 ranking and their season has PLENTY OF LIFE LEFT...They really need 2 wins v Emory and UR this weekend. That is a HUGE ASK but doable. Even 1-0-1 against them really helps their already impressive SOS and OWP and RvR. I really think they are on the bubble but control their own destiny.  Ah if only they could have held onto that 1-0 lead at Chicago with 15 minutes left 2 weeks ago....They would be a lock

The LEC is getting 2 teams into the dance IMO. UMASS Boston's SOS and RvR is weak but even if they lose in their conference tournament they are IN. RIC, I think needs to win that #2 v #3 game and get into the LEC Finals to get a bid but they should be all set.

Both Amherst and Tufts are locks in Nescac. Williams and Midd are on the bubble and Conn would need to get to the Nescac Final to get on the bubble. You have to figure Bowdoin will once again be ranked next Wednesday with that big Win v Tufts yesterday but somehow they will have to win at Tufts on the turf Saturday or their season is over. To bad because they are playing VERY WELL IMO right now.

maineman

Is Glaser going to be available for Midd against Williams in the playoff game?

Mr.Right

Quote from: maineman on October 27, 2016, 11:12:45 AM
Is Glaser going to be available for Midd against Williams in the playoff game?

That is the BIG QUESTION MARK......It could be his final game and he is a decently tough kid so I would imagine he will want to play even if he is 85%....