D3 vs. NAIA

Started by Ralph Turner, August 28, 2005, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Jack Parkman on July 23, 2015, 09:30:41 PM
Quote from: smedindy on July 23, 2015, 01:50:44 PM
Quote from: SJSUPhil on July 21, 2015, 04:29:44 PM
With all the power that the NCAA has, I'm pleasantly surprised that the NAIA is still around.

Some schools would rather not have to deal with rules or standards, I guess!

National Association of Ineligible Athletes

An unfair over-generalization.  I have little doubt that D3 schools on overall average are academically superior to NAIA schools, many schools are not NCAA because they simply cannot afford the minimum teams rules of the NCAA.  I believe NCAA D3 requires 6 sports per gender (5 for truly small enrollment schools);  there are schools that can barely afford 3-4 sports teams.  While such cash-strapped schools will probably, on average, also be unable to hire stellar faculty, let's not go victim-blaming for poverty: some, I'm sure, are excellent educational institutions, with at least some excellent students.

BoBo

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 22, 2015, 03:55:22 PM
Preseason #18 UW-Oshkosh will face an NAIA team, Robert Morris-Chicago, on September 5. In spite of being based in Chicago's Loop, the Eagles play off -campus in northwest suburban Arlington Heights. RMUC went 8-3 last season; the Eagles lost a narrow 27-19 decision to UWO in Oshkosh in the season opener for both teams.

Robert Morris is #20 in the NAIA early poll from April.

Are you sure about that winning team? 

I remember watching that game last year and could swear it was 24-3 RM leading at the half. Then, the Titans closed to within 5 at 24-19 at the end of the third. They were unable to continue the rally and ended up on the losing end of a 27-19 score. I could be wrong, but I think I'm right. You might want to make a correction to your winner in that game.  ;)
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BoBo on July 24, 2015, 07:59:23 AM
Preseason #18 UW-Oshkosh will face an NAIA team, Robert Morris-Chicago, on September 5. In spite of being based in Chicago's Loop, the Eagles play off -campus in northwest suburban Arlington Heights. RMUC went 8-3 last season; the Eagles lost a narrow 27-19 decision to UWO in Oshkosh in the season opener for both teams.

I remember watching that game last year and could swear it was 24-3 RM leading at the half. Then, the Titans closed to within 5 at 24-19 at the end of the third. They were unable to continue the rally and ended up on the losing end of a 27-19 score. I could be wrong, but I think I'm right. You might want to make a correction to your winner in that game.  ;)

Not sure what your post is getting at, BoBo, but I believe you and Gregory both said UWO lost that game.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 23, 2015, 11:09:34 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on July 23, 2015, 09:30:41 PM
Quote from: smedindy on July 23, 2015, 01:50:44 PM
Quote from: SJSUPhil on July 21, 2015, 04:29:44 PM
With all the power that the NCAA has, I'm pleasantly surprised that the NAIA is still around.

Some schools would rather not have to deal with rules or standards, I guess!

National Association of Ineligible Athletes

An unfair over-generalization.  I have little doubt that D3 schools on overall average are academically superior to NAIA schools, many schools are not NCAA because they simply cannot afford the minimum teams rules of the NCAA.  I believe NCAA D3 requires 6 sports per gender (5 for truly small enrollment schools);  there are schools that can barely afford 3-4 sports teams.  While such cash-strapped schools will probably, on average, also be unable to hire stellar faculty, let's not go victim-blaming for poverty: some, I'm sure, are excellent educational institutions, with at least some excellent students.

Just a joke, that is all.  I've been around both NAIA and D3 and both have plenty of great schools.  NAIA seems to have a higher number of "bounce-back" guys on their rosters.

BoBo

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 24, 2015, 10:36:32 AM

Not sure what your post is getting at, BoBo, but I believe you and Gregory both said UWO lost that game.

What am I getting at?  Seriously, dude, Mr. Coleman? That's a head scratcher.

Mr. Gregory said:
Quotethe Eagles lost a narrow 27-19 decision to UWO in Oshkosh in the season opener for both teams.
= Oshkosh wins, Eagles [Robert Morris] loses

BoBo: 
QuoteThey [UWO] were unable to continue the rally and ended up on the losing end of a 27-19 score.
= Robert Morris wins, They [UWO] loses.

The correct score was Robert Morris in a narrow VICTORY 27-19 over UWO at Oshkosh. And when you think about it, it wasn't really that narrow, they led the entire game.
BX from d3Football.com: http://www.d3football.com/seasons/2014/boxscores/20140906_vd39.xml shows it went exactly the way I described it!!

That's about as clear as day...do you still believe we both said Oshkosh lost? AND, you're the professional journalist. Wow is all I can say.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

bulk19

Hey BoBo -
How you doing on the UWL QB stat correction that you said you'd get back to us on?
;D

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BoBo on July 24, 2015, 09:10:28 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 24, 2015, 10:36:32 AM

What am I getting at?  Seriously, dude, Mr. Coleman? That's a head scratcher.

Mr. Gregory said:
Quotethe Eagles lost a narrow 27-19 decision to UWO in Oshkosh in the season opener for both teams.
= Oshkosh wins, Eagles [Robert Morris] loses

BoBo: 
QuoteThey [UWO] were unable to continue the rally and ended up on the losing end of a 27-19 score.
= Robert Morris wins, They [UWO] loses.

The correct score was Robert Morris in a narrow VICTORY 27-19 over UWO at Oshkosh. And when you think about it, it wasn't really that narrow, they led the entire game.
BX from d3Football.com: http://www.d3football.com/seasons/2014/boxscores/20140906_vd39.xml shows it went exactly the way I described it!!

That's about as clear as day...do you still believe we both said Oshkosh lost? AND, you're the professional journalist. Wow is all I can say.

Yep, you're right, I misread. But thanks for the point-by-point rebuttal on a one-point post. Good job!
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

Seems like both D3 and NAIA fans are eye balling next week's game between UWW#1 and Morningside#2. I found this NAIA message board where they started a Morningside vs. Whitewater thread way back on the 9th, and the game isn't until the 24th.

I'll be interested to read NAIA fan's analysis about these two heavy weights squaring off.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 18, 2015, 01:27:46 PM
Seems like both D3 and NAIA fans are eye balling next week's game between UWW#1 and Morningside#2. I found this NAIA message board where they started a Morningside vs. Whitewater thread way back on the 9th, and the game isn't until the 24th.

I'll be interested to read NAIA fan's analysis about these two heavy weights squaring off.
D3fans must give a tip of the hat to Pat Coleman who created the conference and general topic discipline on these message boards. The VSN/NAIA and D2 message boards are unbridled chaos and make no sense to the occasional reader.

02 Warhawk

After being dormant most of the week, it looks like the NAIA board is starting to buzz about the game.

As one NAIA fan posted:

QuoteMorningside is definitely a Top 10 team in NAIA, maybe even Top 5, but this year they've gone 3-0 agianst teams with a combined record of 1-7.  They continue to put up XBox numbers every year because they don't play anyone with the possible exception of Northwestern.

My concern is they will be touted on the ESPN broadcast as the "#1 team in NAIA", because that's where the coaches' poll has put them.  If UW-W smokes them, that makes NAIA look like D-IV football when our "#1 team" can't compete with a D-III team, despite the countless examples of NAIA schools competitng with and/or beating other D-II teams.

For the exposure, marketing, and potential recruiting advantages it may provide the NAIA, I hope M'Side wins big... but I'm not holding my breath.  UW-W by 13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02 Warhawk

The D3 world is standing a little taller today.

02 Warhawk

In the post game interview I heard Pat mention that Morningside (I assume all NAIA football programs) has 24 scholarship players on their roster. Now are we talking full rides? Or just partial scholarships?

Teamski

I would love to see this sort of match-up more often.  It certainly shows that the NAIA is not a joke when it comes to quality teams at the top of the rankings.  Morningside was no pushover and if they hadn't had the turnovers early who knows what would have happened (although I think UWW would have simply continued to control the ball with Ratliffe running the way he was).  I really enjoyed the game and was rooting for the Warhawks big time.  Good stuff!

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

jknezek

Yeah. I really want to see this game in better conditions. Both teams had what I consider weather related miscues and I think a good day for football would have made both teams even more explosive. Morningside had the chops, UWW just had a bit more on the night to my distinct pleasure. It will be interesting to see where Morningside finishes this year. Is this really the best of the NAIA or once again a top 5 team that doesn't get over the hump? Given Morningside gave UWW almost everything they could handle, even a slightly better team would be hard for anyone in DIII to top...

Marian beat Morningside pretty handily last year before Southern Oregon handled Marian pretty well in the finals. Last year isn't this year, and you have to respect that Morningside was/is #1 according to the NAIA coaches poll, but it will be interesting to see if they come good in the NAIA championships.

Heck of a good game. Good for UWW, good for DIII, good entertainment for fans (other than the weather). Congratulations UWW. You did DIII proud and look, once again, like an unstoppable force. Is there an immoveable object somewhere in DIII up to the challenge?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 25, 2015, 08:53:08 AM
In the post game interview I heard Pat mention that Morningside (I assume all NAIA football programs) has 24 scholarship players on their roster. Now are we talking full rides? Or just partial scholarships?

The NAIA limit is 24 scholarships. While it's certainly possible there might be one or two guys who get a full ride out of it, generally the convention is to split those up and award a bunch of partial scholarships.