Thoughts - Importance of D3 sports

Started by hplc2222, January 06, 2014, 01:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hplc2222

Hi, I am new to D3 Hoops boards and I hope to get some thoughts down.

The question " why are D3 sports important?" I feel is a great question to ask and examine.

We live in a society where sports fans and non-sports fans, are inundated with Pro sports and Division 1 sports on television and the Internet. A lot of money is paid and circulated around and around for this purpose and affect. Most people do not think about D3 sports at all.

So why is D3 important?

First off, it is important for the Student Athlete. The athlete from Highschool who still wants to play sports in college and get a quality education. Physical fitness makes for a healthy mind and healthy body. Whether it be basketabll, cross country, soccer, etc,.... D3 sports provide a way for these athletes that do not go to D1 schools  to continue to compete and have "wellness".

It is for the student athlete.

Second, D3 sports, maybe especialy basketball, provides a way for kids that might not have gone to college, an incentive to try, to suceed , to excel, to get accepted to a college, with help from their highschool coach, and the college, to find ways to get acdemic scholarships, financial aid, and low intrest loans, to go to college.

Third, D3 sports provides recognition for colleges. Colleges want new students to apply to go to their school. Even if you are not an athlete in highschool, you might have friends in sports that apply to a D3 school and tell you, and you may look at the school to see if it meats your own academic ambitions.

Fourth, D3 sports provide a way to feel prideful about the school you go to based on athletics as a side bar to academics, which may even take a further back seat than D3 sports in recognition.

Fifth, like in any college, D3 sports provides a way for students that are not athletes, to obtain experience in areas of sports and communications, and event managment. Reporting on events, taping events, setting up events, managing events, radio and video braodcasts both in front of the mic and behind it, along with health education, tutoring,  and even physical therapy, are some of the ways D3 sports at a college benefit the entire student body.

Also, though uncommon, players in D3 sports go on to play in Pro sports. The linebacker from the Saints, Sam Mills was a D3 player. The Colts have a linebacker or saftey right now that went to Mary Hardon Baylor.

And believe it or not, many D3 colleges are just as good or better in academics than D1 or D2  colleges. But like anything else, it is all about the dedication of the student to learn.

I attended and graduated from a D3 college. Richard Stockton. Although back then is was called Stockton State College. Although I was not involved with sports, I had friends that played and I enjoyed the atmosphere of culture D3 sports provided on the campus.

Homecoming week is always an invitation to come back and remember your college days.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Ralph Turner

Welcome to the boards.  You appear to be the typical cogent, insightful fan who has contributed to the success of these websites for more than 15 years.  Thanks for the post.

+1!   :)

SJSUPhil

I agree with Ralph, your comment was very insightful. :)