MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

I assume that you were grateful to have your dad all these years. I lost my Dad in October 1990.

Field of Dreams always gets me...

"You wanna have a catch?"

Every time that we visited in his last 2 years of life, I would intentionally make sure that we "had a catch" in the driveway of his house.

This is my father's favorite benediction. I share them with you and your family.

"May the Peace that passes all understanding keep and fill your heart, now and forevermore."

Mr. Ypsi

Thanks, Ralph.

Dad was 93, so it wasn't a total shock, but he seemed to be so well right until the end.  In helping mom straighten out things, we discovered he was (sometimes) not as well as we thought - overdue unpaid bills, unfiled taxes (which he thought he had taken to the preparer), expired license tabs on his car, etc.  My faith in humanity is restored by the reactions of everyone I dealt with: ALL late fees were waived, my daughter-in-law received license tabs (she bought his car) in 5 minutes from the DMV (DMV! :o), I found his tax materials in the back seat of his car on the 16th and the preparer did it all on time, even the most bizarre of all: 6 days before his death he took a cash advance for $60 from his credit card at a bank where he had $43,000 in his checking account - they retroactively called it a checking account withdrawal and waived the transaction fee!  If you can get through the machines and bureaucracy, people themselves are still people.  And are mostly good.

As soon as a place opens up, mom will be moving into the place they had already selected to move when the time came.  Alas, she will move alone, but it is not a spur-of-the-moment choice.  I have high hopes that she will enjoy her stay.  There is no way she would move in with any of us 'kids' - that is just not her style.

rob

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 21, 2012, 11:59:03 PM
Thanks, Ralph.

Dad was 93, so it wasn't a total shock, but he seemed to be so well right until the end.  In helping mom straighten out things, we discovered he was (sometimes) not as well as we thought - overdue unpaid bills, unfiled taxes (which he thought he had taken to the preparer), expired license tabs on his car, etc.  My faith in humanity is restored by the reactions of everyone I dealt with: ALL late fees were waived, my daughter-in-law received license tabs (she bought his car) in 5 minutes from the DMV (DMV! :o), I found his tax materials in the back seat of his car on the 16th and the preparer did it all on time, even the most bizarre of all: 6 days before his death he took a cash advance for $60 from his credit card at a bank where he had $43,000 in his checking account - they retroactively called it a checking account withdrawal and waived the transaction fee!  If you can get through the machines and bureaucracy, people themselves are still people.  And are mostly good.

As soon as a place opens up, mom will be moving into the place they had already selected to move when the time came.  Alas, she will move alone, but it is not a spur-of-the-moment choice.  I have high hopes that she will enjoy her stay.  There is no way she would move in with any of us 'kids' - that is just not her style.
Sorry for your loss.

Ralph Turner

Mr. Ypsi

OK, time to open a can of worms: Roger Clemens.

(I really wish the US would adopt the Scottish style of 'guilty' or 'not proven'.  It might cut down on the number of people who think Clemens has been 'vindicated', 'exonerated' or 'proven innocent'.  NO.  He has been not proven guilty - but I believe he is factually guilty.  Given the proceedings, I believe the jury reached the right verdict, and I salute that as a matter of governmental law he is therefore 'innocent until proven guilty', but that doesn't affect what I believe are the facts.)

I'm torn on this one - I believe Clemens (and Bonds) deserved the HoF for what they already did before they juiced, but I would hate to see them be first-ballot HoFers.

Thoughts?

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 21, 2012, 12:33:44 AM
OK, time to open a can of worms: Roger Clemens.

(I really wish the US would adopt the Scottish style of 'guilty' or 'not proven'.  It might cut down on the number of people who think Clemens has been 'vindicated', 'exonerated' or 'proven innocent'.  NO.  He has been not proven guilty - but I believe he is factually guilty.  Given the proceedings, I believe the jury reached the right verdict, and I salute that as a matter of governmental law he is therefore 'innocent until proven guilty', but that doesn't affect what I believe are the facts.)

I'm torn on this one - I believe Clemens (and Bonds) deserved the HoF for what they already did before they juiced, but I would hate to see them be first-ballot HoFers.

Thoughts?
Pete Rose's actions never impacted the outcome of a game. Bonds, Clemens and others of the STERIOD ERA did. So did they impact their games like the Black Sox did...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498
All some day should be in the HOF but may not make it due to the actions and decisions they made off the field.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Gray Fox

I don't know where to post this, but this seems good enough.

Marvin Rotblatt (born October 18, 1927, in Chicago, Illinois), nicknamed "Rotty", is a former left-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball for the Chicago White Sox in the 1948, 1950 and 1951 seasons. His ERAs in 1948 (7.85) and 1950 (6.23) were the highest in the majors. He failed to get a base hit in fifteen career at-bats.

In 1964, students at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota named an intramural slow-pitch softball league after Rotblatt. Although traditional intramural softball is still played at Carleton, the name Rotblatt now refers to an annual beer softball game that is played with one inning for every year of the school's nearly century-and-a-half existence.

Fierce When Roused

Mr. Ypsi

Aaaargh!  One year after going 49 of 49 in save situations, Jose Valverde has become a total waste of carbon molecules!  After blowing game four of the ALDS series to force Detroit to waste Verlander in that series (Justin had a complete-game shutout in one of the most dominating games ever), he has now blown a 4-0 ninth inning lead against the damn Yankees.  Valverde's nickname is Papa Grande, which may mean 'Big Daddy' in Spanglish, but means 'Big Potato' in real Spanish.  We've already gone thru 'baked' and 'mashed' and 'smashed' potato for his shortcomings; any suggestions for how we really feel?! ::)

Mr. Ypsi

Tigers win it in the 12th. ;D  All is forgiven - forget the last post.  (Though I will still have a heart attack if Valverde pitches again. :P)

Mr. Ypsi

Tigers win again - Valverde did NOT pitch!  In 7 postseason games, starters have yielded 5 earned runs in 48 innings; Valverde has yielded 7 in 2.1 innings. :P

Tigers take both games in Gotham; this series is NOT returning to New York. ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Buh, bye, Yankees.  Sorry 'bout the broom marks! 8-)

Bishopleftiesdad

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 19, 2012, 12:15:41 AM
;D  Mischievious political question on a baseball board for my friend Mr Ypsi.

Mr Applegate approaches you beneath the streetlamp. He lights the cigarette with snap of his fingers and then  offers you your choice.

An Obama victory in the election OR

A World Series Championship for your Tigers.  (Kind of a once in a generation thing.)

;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 19, 2012, 11:34:15 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 19, 2012, 12:15:41 AM
;D  Mischievious political question on a baseball board for my friend Mr Ypsi.

Mr Applegate approaches you beneath the streetlamp. He lights the cigarette with snap of his fingers and then  offers you your choice.

An Obama victory in the election OR

A World Series Championship for your Tigers.  (Kind of a once in a generation thing.)

;)

Unless the opponents make a deal with the devil, we don't need Mr. Applegate for BOTH to happen! 8-)

RogK

The following occurred to me in regard to the 2-3-2 home game format used in MLB. In the current NL series, SF is considered to have the home field advantage, since they would host games 1, 2, 6 and 7.
Among the possible scenarios in this series : if it was a 4-game sweep, neither team would have had a home field advantage; if StL wins in 5, they will have had the home field advantage (3 of the 5). If StL wins in 6 games, neither team will have had a home field advantage. And only if it goes 7 games, does SF enjoy the home field advantage. I realize this is not a profound revelation, but it's something to think about for a few seconds.
No, I don't suggest a 2-2-1-1-1 format.