Best DIII Stadiums

Started by hazzben, July 19, 2013, 02:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazzben

Ok, so 'stadium' might be a stretch, but I'm wondering who people would include on a list of best DIII game facilities. So I'm not talking weight rooms or locker rooms anything like that. Just strictly Press Box, stands, field, scoreboard, etc. The stuff that is utilized for the 60 minutes of action on Saturday.

Since most DIII fans don't get to see many games outside of their conference/region, it'd be fun to hear what's out there.

NCF

LaCrosse-was there for the D3 track nationals. It is better than some of the low D1's I've seen. Very impressive!
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Pat Coleman

I can concur on the new UW-L stadium. St. John's needs to be on any list of facilities. Looks like Mary Hardin-Baylor will be the top stadium when it opens this fall.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

These would be a few schools I'd put on my list, either from firsthand experience or word of mouth.

Gustavus Adolphus:             
Love the bern, the sunken field and the look of the home stands and press box.

Saint Johns University:       
It's the Natural Bowl, what's not to love about Clemen's Stadium? It was a great place to play, and although not a part of the technical criteria, when it's got 10,000+ fans for a big game, it's a great atmosphere.

Univ. of Mary Hardin-Baylor:
The new gold standard in DIII. It's a setup most FCS and DII schools would drool over. Inaugural year in 2013.

Whitworth College:               
A dark horse, not well known outside the Northwest Conference. What's sets it apart are the pines overlooking the field and the field itself. Real grass, like playing on a fairway.

Linfield College:                   
The CatDome baby! It's the closest we've got to a dome, and you still get to see the game played in the elements while you stay dry.

UW Whitewater:                   
The Perk. Size, Aesthetics, Sheer Intimidation. What's not to love?

That's just enough to get us started, but what else is out there? Throw a pic up if you've got one.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 19, 2013, 02:40:59 PM
I can concur on the new UW-L stadium. St. John's needs to be on any list of facilities. Looks like Mary Hardin-Baylor will be the top stadium when it opens this fall.

Pep was going to mention St. Johns although Pep has never experienced a game in Collegeville, MN with the Johnnies.

Of course, being a homer and having not been to ALL the D3 stadiums, Pep is pretty partial to AU's Merrill Field:

Incidentally, the young lad pictured was the "Voice of the Saxons," announcing most sporting events at Merrill Field aside from football. Having graduated, he's moved along....but no doubt remains fond of his time with the mic at Merrill Field.

As for the "stadium" itself, the press box is too small with the newly installed homeside grandstand. The bleachers on the visiting side, built into the hill, give visitors a splendid view of the field so long as they're not lined up with a light post. A newly constructed "Connors Pavilion" at the south end of the field offers a place to "warm up" in inclement weather and venue for hosting alumni gatherings and the like. It also serves as a "clubhouse" type setting for parents to watch games during colder weather.

But the greatest attribute at Merrill Field is the atmosphere come game time. It's a fun place to catch a game. Pep is hoping attendance will soar this season with the enrollment of some Hornell High grads who have been followed to the Carrier Dome the past three or four years by the city of Hornell...winning three of the last four state titles.

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

hazzben

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 19, 2013, 02:40:59 PM

I'd heard they were redoing it, and having coached there in 2006, I could only say that it was about time. Cool to hear that they're going all out on the new version.

hickory_cornhusker

Pat, this kind of has to do with this topic. d2football.com has pictures of each stadium on their website. I don't know if website limitations on d3football.com would prevent this but the concern of it taking along time to gather could be mitigated by a lot of people on these boards would look for pictures for it. Would be kind of nice to see for Division III as well.

Pat Coleman

It is something we have been considering -- we haven't had the time to do it but we agree that it should be done.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AO

The new Mary Hardin-Baylor stadium looks amazing.  Great idea to integrate so closely with the student union.

I like the St. John's history/big crowds and the view from Luther's Carlson stadium, but any stadium with a track can't really be rated that highly if your criteria is strictly Press Box, stands, field, scoreboard. 

RPI's stadium deserves a spot on the top 10 list somewhere.

Minnesota-Morris is surprisingly nice considering the state of the program.

Eau-Claire has a very unique setting.

Stout before the switch to Field Turf:

wally_wabash

Quote from: hazzben on July 19, 2013, 02:21:17 PM
Ok, so 'stadium' might be a stretch, but I'm wondering who people would include on a list of best DIII game facilities. So I'm not talking weight rooms or locker rooms anything like that. Just strictly Press Box, stands, field, scoreboard, etc. The stuff that is utilized for the 60 minutes of action on Saturday.

Since most DIII fans don't get to see many games outside of their conference/region, it'd be fun to hear what's out there.

Off the top of my head of places that I've been to...

- Obviously, I'm partial to Little Giant Stadium, in particular since the install of the new playing surface and scoreboard in 2010.  It's a beautiful place to see a game, particularly from the home grandstand and the campus backdrop.  Everything above x10 for a Monon Bell game when we get the extra bleachers and about 11,000 people in there and the nonstop ringing of the Monon Bell (eminating from the home sideline, of course). 

- Probably my second favorite place to see a game is actually at Denison.  Their redone facility down in the deep bowl there on campus is really tremendous.  And if you catch it when the leaves are turning- wow.  It is postcard material. 

- Case Western has a unique urban setting.  Not a fan of single-sided bleachers, but having the opposite side of the field closed in with nice looking dormitories is pretty cool.  Still the only D-III field I've been to that has it's own parking garage. 

- Mount Union has a nice facility.  I've been lucky enough to see two spirited playoff games between the Raiders and my Little Giants.  It was interesting to see how the area around the stadium has grown and improved in the 10 years between games there.  Great facility to see a game and a legendary team. 

- Ditto Perkins Stadium in Whitewater, although I could do without the driving snow/sleet storm the next time I end up there for a game.   And the 40-point beatemdown.   :)

I'll give Honorable Mention to Papp Stadium in Wooster because it's generally a spirited place to see a game and they have great dogs for your snacking pleasure.  Can't include them with the best of the best because of the one-sided stands thing and because their new rug is lined for so many different sports that the thing looks like a craps table. 

Selby Field at Ohio Wesleyan is also a really nice place to see a game, but they fall short of my top 5 there because it's just too big.  You could get a top-15 sized D-III crowd in there and the place would still be half empty (or half full, depending on your world view).  Otherwise, really cool, rustic, throwback kind of stadium. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ADL70

CMU also has integrated stands/garage.

Echo Denison mention.

http://www.denisonbigred.com/facilities/images/deeds.jpg?max_height=300&max_width=870
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 19, 2013, 02:58:23 PM
It is something we have been considering -- we haven't had the time to do it but we agree that it should be done.

I'm sure this is something that the fans of D3football can help do. I already see some photos being posted above.

doolittledog

This is a great thread, and I'm sure a surprise to many people that have no idea how nice D3 facilities can be.

Here are a few pics of Dubuque...

pg04

I think Cortland's is one of the best in the Eastern Region:

http://www2.cortland.edu/community/stadium/index.dot

RPI's new one as well (although I've only seen pictures of this):

http://rpiathletics.com/sports/2010/5/21/GEN_0521100834.aspx?id=2768

Ithaca's has one of the better views that I've been to. 

hazzben

That is a beautiful setup doolittledog...I'd heard a lot about the facilities upgrades across the board at UD, but that exceeds what I expected. Love the look and feel of the press box with the brick. Very Nice.

Here's another one I just heard about but haven't seen in person.

Cortland State:

Makes sense that the NYJ, for all their disfunction, would still make sure to use top notch facilities for training camp.

EDIT: pg04 beat me to the Cortland listing.

If this thread gains real traction I might have to make a bucket list of best stadiums and see if I can't take in a few rivalry games at the different locales.