BB: General NY Region Talk

Started by Bob Maxwell, October 18, 2007, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will represent the New York Region in the Division III Baseball World Series?

SUNY Cortland
7 (43.8%)
Ithaca
0 (0%)
Stevens
1 (6.3%)
Rochester
2 (12.5%)
Non-Region Team
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

NYBB

Yeah well, there aren't that many southern teams in D3 compared to D1,D2, JUCO & NAIA so the northeast schools don't have THAT much to worry about.  Texas-Tyler is very good, yes, but paired up against a local JUCO in West Texas or an NAIA in Oklahoma, they're not great shakes

Bob Maxwell

NY region teams are opening up this weekend... Cortland.  And the following week St John Fisher makes a southern swing and followed by New Paltz that next weekend...

Does anyone know if there is an audio or live stats link for any of these games?

pudge27

Cortland's website says that their first audio webcast is the 3/29 DH vs. Brockport.  You might be able to get it from somewhere else.  Didn't see anything on the NC Wes website.  NCW looks like their off to a solid start.  Should be interesting to see how Cortland does or if they remember what grass looks like.

Bob Maxwell

Thanks...  for the information and the chuckle about remembering grass.

MMTPdthree

Who's comming out of Skyline and Eliete 8 (should be 9)?

shoeless

Best offense or Best Defense debate

When your best pitchers are on the mound, do you think they would prefer the BEST defense the coach can put on the field behind them?  Should it just be the middle infielders?  or would they prefer their best offense?

Do you think it affects pitchers confidence.

AlleyCat

Who are the best pitchers and positional players in New York this year?

AlleyCat

Quote from: AlleyCat on March 25, 2008, 02:02:41 PM
Who are the best pitchers and positional players in New York this year?

Well no one replied so here goes.

Pitchers
Veenma - Rochester
Reilly - Skidmore
Sottung - Ithaca
Zongol - RPI
Tone - Cortland
Hooper - Cortland
Klein - RPI
Fishback - Rochester
Ackerman - Oneonta
Wolfe - Ithaca

Position Players
Gardner - Cortland
Mamigonian - RPI
Raux - Ithaca
Zaccardo - Cortland
Devine - RPI
Ferri - Skidmore
Maxwell - Brockport
Devito - Cortland
Meyers - Oneonta
Reardon - RPI

John McGraw

Here's the first regional rankings.

http://ncaa.com/rankings/default.aspx?id=212508

1. Cortland State
2. Ithaca
3. RPI
4. Rochester
5. St. John Fisher
6. St. Joseph's (LI)

Also, Manhattanville is ranked in the Mid-Atlantic region. So, in theory, they may not be shipped to the Falcon Park regional.

NYBB

Does anyone know if St. Joe's Brooklyn is going to join a conference next year?  They are official D3 this year.

Big Louie

Why is St John Fisher regionally ranked at #5....they have a sub-par region record and havent really beat anyone worthy other than taking 1 out of 4 from Ithaca

Any thoughts on what the updated regional rankings will look like when they come out thursday?

Bob Maxwell

I would like to see Brockport sneak into the top 5... wins over Ithaca this week and St. John Fisher earlier in the year coupled with them winning 15 of the last 18 games and 7 straight to reach the conference tournament.  Yes, they do have some bad losses earlier in the year but they are on a roll now...

just my two cents...
;)

John McGraw

I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak into the regional rankings this week. Though, St. John Fisher didn't really play itself out of the rankings either with a four-game beatdown of Utica and a loss to top-ranked Cortland.

That being said, I think it's a toss-up between Brockport and Fisher even though Brockport has two wins over the Cardinals. In all reality, I don't think either gets into the NCAA tournament, but that's just me being cynical in thinking that New York will get a six-team region with one out of region team coming in from New England and five representing NY - Cortland, Ithaca, Rochester, St. Joseph's and Cazenovia (though Keystone from NE PA could win the NEAC too).

If Rochester sweeps SJF, it'll solidify its hold on a NCAA bid, win or lose the conference tournament. Fisher still needs to play local-rival RIT as well, so they have tough games ahead.

scuba16

What has this world come to if Cazenovia makes the NCAA.
2 years ago IC beat them 35-1 and 33-2.
I also think RPI gets in some way, some how!

A great 8 team all NY, NY Regional would be:
Cortland
Brockport
IC
SJF
RPI
U of R
Skyline winner
NEAC winner

2 Suny's
2 E-8's
2 LL
1 Skyline
1 NEAC

What a blood and guts, heart and soul tournament that would be!
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

Big Louie

Scuba i couldn't agree more...that would be some regional to see