FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: HansenRatings on September 26, 2016, 03:46:44 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on September 26, 2016, 03:15:36 PM
We thought 8-2 Platteville should have gone in last year.  The West region committee disagreed and planted them behind Whitworth for reasons that remain unclear to me.

I think it should be understood that Regional Rankings are suggestions for the Selection Committee. They reserve the right to disagree with how the regional committee ranks their teams, and select a lower ranked team before a higher ranked team for Pool C consideration. I think this gets lost a lot in the discussion.

From the official NCAA Pre-Championship Manual (emphasis mine):

All teams shall be selected by the Division III Football Committee, assisted by regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

So last season, it's not as if the National Committee was looking at the Regional Rankings, and thinking to themselves, "Oh shucks, we have Whitworth and Platteville here. We really wish we could put UWP in, but those regional rankings won't let us do that... Oh well, Whitworth it is!"

I've always understood the process to be that the national committee is only allowed to choose from the highest ranked at-large team from each region at any one time.  So Platteville and Whitworth are never compared directly to one another once the rankings are set.  Certainly, the national committee has the authority to change the rankings sets that are submitted to them by the regional committees, but those teams must be ranked such that only the top ranked non-qualifying team from each region is available for selection at any one time. 

So while the national committee had the opportunity to re-rank Whitworth and UWP, they didn't do it, and as such UW-P almost certainly never got a chance to be selected last year. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

retagent

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 26, 2016, 02:41:07 PM
Quote from: jamtoTommie on September 26, 2016, 01:55:05 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 26, 2016, 01:42:20 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 26, 2016, 11:38:15 AM
Quote from: emma17 on September 26, 2016, 10:52:09 AM

I really don't understand the definition of trolling. I assumed it was dropping in on a board and making a statement (that you may or may not believe and may not have any intention to support) designed to rile up the regulars.
Nothing in this post seems to do that.

See AppletonRocks as an example.

I was told there are people on this board who think I am a Mount Union fan and only trying to troll you guys when I post but that really isn't the case. We need a strong Whitewater to balance Mount Union and I am all for it. (And then I'd love to see a strong UMHB and a strong Linfield to provide even more balance.)

We know the truth now, Pat - you are a St Thomas and MIAC-hater and you exist solely to troll the Tommies and the Johnnies. I get it now.

;D ;)

I think the Johnnies think I'm a Tommie fan. The Tommies might think I'm a Linfield fan? Not sure. :) If everyone feels that way, perhaps I'm playing the neutral card well, then.

Judging by the pictures posted after the Johnnie/Tommie game, I doubt that there are any Tommies who think you're a Johnnie fan.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: retagent on September 26, 2016, 04:10:50 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 26, 2016, 02:41:07 PM
Quote from: jamtoTommie on September 26, 2016, 01:55:05 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 26, 2016, 01:42:20 PM

I really don't understand the definition of trolling. I assumed it was dropping in on a board and making a statement (that you may or may not believe and may not have any intention to support) designed to rile up the regulars.

I was told there are people on this board who think I am a Mount Union fan and only trying to troll you guys when I post but that really isn't the case. We need a strong Whitewater to balance Mount Union and I am all for it. (And then I'd love to see a strong UMHB and a strong Linfield to provide even more balance.)

We know the truth now, Pat - you are a St Thomas and MIAC-hater and you exist solely to troll the Tommies and the Johnnies. I get it now.

;D ;)

I think the Johnnies think I'm a Tommie fan. The Tommies might think I'm a Linfield fan? Not sure. :) If everyone feels that way, perhaps I'm playing the neutral card well, then.

Judging by the pictures posted after the Johnnie/Tommie game, I doubt that there are any Tommies who think you're a Johnnie fan.

Well, I didn't say there would be, so I think we're good there. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HansenRatings

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 26, 2016, 04:09:12 PM
I've always understood the process to be that the national committee is only allowed to choose from the highest ranked at-large team from each region at any one time.  So Platteville and Whitworth are never compared directly to one another once the rankings are set.  Certainly, the national committee has the authority to change the rankings sets that are submitted to them by the regional committees, but those teams must be ranked such that only the top ranked non-qualifying team from each region is available for selection at any one time. 

So while the national committee had the opportunity to re-rank Whitworth and UWP, they didn't do it, and as such UW-P almost certainly never got a chance to be selected last year. 

Right... Your wording before ("planted") made me think you thought is was set in stone.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

emma17

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 26, 2016, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 25, 2016, 06:28:21 PM
Although I'm sure some will think I'm trolling -- you sound fairly pessimistic about the chances of multiple teams getting in and I think the 13-5 mark in D-III non-conference games will help quite a bit. (In fact, considering two of those losses are to St. Thomas, that's a really good number.) Admittedly, the top teams have all played non-Division III teams but it's hard to get teams to line up to play Whitewater, Oshkosh and Platteville. Gotta take what you can get. As long as nobody in that group of three loses to anyone outside the group the rest of the way, there should be no problem getting two teams in. (And possible that UWSP could take the place of someone in the group if it wins enough of those games.)

At this point in the season it looks like there are 3 teams definitately worthy of the playoffs and 2 that have a chance to prove their place in the near future.

If the conference results play out as anticipated, UWSP could end up with 3 losses-to 3 teams in the top 10 in the country. Those 3 losses will in all likelihood preclude them from playoff participation, while 9-1 and 8-2 teams will Pez dispenser their way in.

It's probably still too early to say with any certainty which teams are "worthy of the playoffs" and which teams aren't.  Most teams are only 1/3 of the way through their schedules.  I think it's fair to see a few more weeks, particularly the next few weeks in the WIAC, before we decide who is worthy.   

RE: UW-SP losing three games and being de facto disqualified- yes, that's how that works.  And it's fine to be all "aww shucks, that's a tough break for the Pointers", but the reality is that if you've had three chances to beat tournament teams and lost all three, there's not really any good reason why you should be invited to the tournament.  Reference 2015 North Central...not invited, and that was perfectly fine.  There just isn't enough elective space in the field to seriously consider teams that carry three losses. 

We thought 8-2 Platteville should have gone in last year.  The West region committee disagreed and planted them behind Whitworth for reasons that remain unclear to me.  Good 8-2 vs. sort of unknown 9-1 is always the hardest call to make in these at-large selections, or really in the regional rankings prior to selections.  The rankings are really where the rubber meets the road, tbh.

Right.  We've been down this conversation road for at least two straight years.  As you know, I have a different opinion about who should get into Pool C.  Since all applicants for Pool C failed during the regular season, I'd like to pick the teams that failed the least in proving they can compete with the best of the best, which likely means they have a greater likelihood of an upset.  Last year UWSP lost to UWW, UWP and UWO by a combined 22 points.  If they repeat something close to that, I'd much rather have them (or any team like them) in Pool C over a 9-1 or 8-2 team that got smoked by the best team they played.  Heck, I struggled with UWP being considered last year because of their horrible loss to UWO.  But I'd still take them over Whitworth.   

DBQ1965

After the AQs, I think Pool B team selections are somewhat subjective, but nothing like Pool C selections.  Of course, this opinion comes from one whose IIAC selections will never be more than one until the IIAC qualifier has some deep runs in the playoffs several years in a row.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

emma17

Quote from: DBQ1965 on September 26, 2016, 05:58:10 PM
After the AQs, I think Pool B team selections are somewhat subjective, but nothing like Pool C selections.  Of course, this opinion comes from one whose IIAC selections will never be more than one until the IIAC qualifier has some deep runs in the playoffs several years in a row.

There are those that believe deep playoff runs should have nothing to do with Pool C selections- since they happened in previous years.
I'm not one of those, but I think there are quite a few that are.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 26, 2016, 02:24:00 PM
Quote from: AppletonRocks on September 26, 2016, 02:17:44 PM

Says the Whitewater fan....maybe even grad, whose skin I have clearly gotten under.  Not a substantive feat.  ;)

Not at all. But thanks for coming back to prove my point though.  ;D

Repetition is highly effective when interacting with those with lower or dulled cognitive skills.  :-* 
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

bleedpurple

Quote from: AppletonRocks on September 27, 2016, 07:38:06 AM

Says the Whitewater fan....maybe even grad, whose skin I have clearly gotten under.  Not a substantive feat.  ;)

Repetition is highly effective when interacting with those with lower or dulled cognitive skills.  :-*

Could you type that again, maybe a little more slowly this time?

emma17

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 27, 2016, 08:44:31 AM

Kind of like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvmtbZzA40

badgerwarhawk

All of the money you spent on that private education and all you learned was to be a  
"Just think twice is my only advice."

wartknight

Quote from: emma17 on September 27, 2016, 10:57:39 AM

Kind of like this:
+k
post of the day!
Classic!!
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden

AppletonRocks

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on September 27, 2016, 11:24:12 AM

All of the money you spent on that private education and all you learned was to be a

Sorry, I went to the school of hard knocks, no private schools here !! Not fortunate like Russ Feingold or Hillary Clinton !!
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: AppletonRocks on September 27, 2016, 02:43:14 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on September 27, 2016, 11:24:12 AM

Sorry, I went to the school of hard knocks, no private schools here !! Not fortunate like Russ Feingold or Hillary Clinton !!

I see so you worked on it all by yourself.  Quite the accomplishment. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

cubs

Quote from: emma17 on September 27, 2016, 10:57:39 AM

Kind of like this:
Some of your best work yet Emma!!!!  Hilarious!!!  ;D +K!!!
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion