MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: judgetrainer on December 08, 2017, 10:36:48 AM
Grinnell with an ineligible player last year and now the SNC women this year. What the heck?

Apples and oranges, honestly. Ironic, maybe... but I don't think there is anything going on more than separate incidents.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AppletonRocks

No confirmation out of DePere that either apples or oranges were part of whatever incident occurred there.   ::)
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: AppletonRocks on December 12, 2017, 03:31:14 PM
No confirmation out of DePere that either apples or oranges were part of whatever incident occurred there.   ::)

There was confirmation it was alcohol... a lot of it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gbpuckfan

21 minutes ago - BY SNC SID

St. Norbert men's basketball is pleased to announce the arrival of transfer Drew Yetka, a 6-6 freshman guard from Oak Creek (Bemidji State). He is eligible immediately and has 3 1/2 years of eligibility remaining.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

judgetrainer

I do not mean to cast aspersions but...Transfer after one semester of school? The longer I watch D3 sports the more I wonder if students are not focusing on the academic side enough when choosing where to attend college.

And, yes, I know I sound like the neighborhood crank yelling for the kids to stay off my lawn.

sncdangler

Quote from: judgetrainer on December 21, 2017, 01:45:35 PM
I do not mean to cast aspersions but...Transfer after one semester of school? The longer I watch D3 sports the more I wonder if students are not focusing on the academic side enough when choosing where to attend college.

And, yes, I know I sound like the neighborhood crank yelling for the kids to stay off my lawn.

I would guess if you're transferring from Bemidji State to St. Norbert you are indeed more focused on the academic component than being on scholarship somewhere. Generally speaking, many would probably keep the scholarship instead of fixing something that may not be a good fit. Hats off to this young man for being proactive about his future.

Just Bill

Must be something funny going on at Bemidji State. They lost two freshmen at semester...

The Division III Edgewood College men's basketball team has now snagged about half of last year's Janesville Craig boys hoops graduates. Jake Negus ranks third for the Eagles, scoring 9.4 points per game while starting eight of the team's nine games. He's also averaging two assists in about 25 minutes per outing. Fellow 2017 Craig grad Nick Lynch is also on the Edgewood roster, and classmate Adam Anhold announced recently on Twitter that he will transfer from Division II Bemidji State in Minnesota at the semester break to rejoin Negus and Lynch at Edgewood. The Eagles are currently 3-6.

https://www.gazettextra.com/sports/college/jensen-gets-the-call-when-uw-whitewater-goes-big/article_c87b0e45-66f7-504f-9180-298879f38ade.html
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Maybe the transfers to St. Norbs and Edgewood are just cases (basketball wise) of kids finally arriving at what probably should have been their destinations directly out of high school. Perhaps they were among an almost unbelievably large group of high school school players who basically consider themselves failures from a basketball standpoint if they aren't able to garner an athletic scholarship. We see this constantly. Kids who could be very good, sometimes very, very good D3 players hold out for any possible scholarship. Kids will even accept a ride to schools located in towns where there isn't much to do but to try to keep from freezing to death in order to say they got a scholarship. Like that automatically makes them a good player. Sure, sometimes family finances play a role and I can understand that. But if this is not a consideration, then it often just becomes a matter of pride and/or an overestimation of their abilities. Fortunately some kids realize a scholarship doesn't always mean nirvana, and they adjust according and end up at a D3 where they probably should have gone originally.

gbpuckfan

UWW built a big lead. Snc had a 20-1 run to get back within 4 but UWW wins.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

AndOne

As is usually the case, whenever the Norberts play a good team outside their conference, they lose.
Unlike last year, they better hope they win the conference tournament this season. Otherwise, they might find themselves doing a repeat of last year, sitting at home with only their "sparkling" record as consolation while they watch the big dance rather than participating in it.

sncdangler

Quote from: AndOne on December 31, 2017, 05:40:30 PM
As is usually the case, whenever the Norberts play a good team outside their conference, they lose.
Unlike last year, they better hope they win the conference tournament this season. Otherwise, they might find themselves doing a repeat of last year, sitting at home with only their "sparkling" record as consolation while they watch the big dance rather than participating in it.

Oh, you mean like the 2016 NCAA pod that North Central was in that St. Norbert hosted? The pod where St. Norbert won two games and North Central won zero? Like that time?

St. Norbert, or any other MWC school, knows the story. Win the AQ or stay home. That's just how it is. Not any big news.

AndOne

Yes, snc. The pod that SNC hosted because of their sparkling regular season record that was, as usual, achieved largely through playing the vast majority of their games against an exceptionally weak conference schedule. The same type of schedule so weak that again, because it was mostly built against a very weak conference schedule, found the Norberts staying home last year after failing to win the one game they needed to go to the dance.

SNC would have never hosted the pod you referenced if they played in a stronger conference where they wouldn't continually be able to pound weak teams. Sure, they did win their first two games that year including beating a team by 2 points that had beat NCC by 2-not exactly what you could call dominating. And remember, those 2 pod wins you refer to were achieved at home. What happened in their next game where they had to travel and face a good team vs staying at home and playing before a large supportive crowd?

I'm not saying SNC isn't and/or hasn't been a good team. But the sterling records they've posted the last several years would never have been attained if they were in a decent conference like the WIAC, the CCIW, or even the IIAC. And, if you think otherwise, you're merely deluding yourself.

Gregory Sager

Sorry, Mark, but he's got you there. Nothing you said changes the fact that SNC won two games in the tourney that year and NCC didn't win any.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sncdangler

Quote from: AndOne on January 01, 2018, 04:47:19 PM
Yes, snc. The pod that SNC hosted because of their sparkling regular season record that was, as usual, achieved largely through playing the vast majority of their games against an exceptionally weak conference schedule. The same type of schedule so weak that again, because it was mostly built against a very weak conference schedule, found the Norberts staying home last year after failing to win the one game they needed to go to the dance.

SNC would have never hosted the pod you referenced if they played in a stronger conference where they wouldn't continually be able to pound weak teams. Sure, they did win their first two games that year including beating a team by 2 points that had beat NCC by 2-not exactly what you could call dominating. And remember, those 2 pod wins you refer to were achieved at home. What happened in their next game where they had to travel and face a good team vs staying at home and playing before a large supportive crowd?

I'm not saying SNC isn't and/or hasn't been a good team. But the sterling records they've posted the last several years would never have been attained if they were in a decent conference like the WIAC, the CCIW, or even the IIAC. And, if you think otherwise, you're merely deluding yourself.

Who in here has said St. Norbert would go 23-4 every year playing in the WIAC or CCIW? Who in here has said St. Norbert should have gotten an NCAA berth last year after losing to Lake Forest in the MWC Tournament? I don't think anyone is making that argument, not even me, so you are arguing with yourself.

If memory serves, St. Norbert was the top seed in that 2016 regional. St. Norbert went 3-0 that year against Carroll, a team that won 20 games and was regionally ranked by the committee. So, the committee thought St. Norbert had done enough to merit hosting that year. Just because you don't think they should host because the league is so bad doesn't mean they shouldn't host when they do what they need to do according to the criteria the NCAA sets forth.

And now you're discounting wins over NCAA-caliber teams at home? Which is it? You said "as usually the case whenever Norberts plays a good team outside their conference, they lose." By your initial argument they should have gotten bounced out in the first round again because "usually" they lose. You didn't say home or away made any difference.

St. Norbert at least tries to schedule a good non-conference schedule, which if you are in a "weak" conference is what you need to do. How many other schools in Division III scheduled four games against WIAC schools this year? (Northwestern, another school from a "weak" conference, played three - and they are no easy out in the NCAA Tournament usually.) SNC went 2-2 against the WIAC this year, losing a three-point game to Oshkosh and then had one horrendous half against Whitewater. Oshkosh got into the tournament last year at 17-10. If SNC went 19-8 playing in the WIAC or CCIW, I'd take their chances at getting an NCAA nod.