FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoBo

Oh goody, we're firmly into the long summer stretch, where any college football news seems like an oasis in the desert. But there is one glimmer of hope that football will come again soon... the preview magazines are out!!

Just wondering, what do the men and women who work for outfits like Lindy's do the other 11 months of the year?
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

emma17

Quote from: BoBo on June 08, 2016, 02:19:35 AM
Oh goody, we're firmly into the long summer stretch, where any college football news seems like an oasis in the desert. But there is one glimmer of hope that football will come again soon... the preview magazines are out!!

Just wondering, what do the men and women who work for outfits like Lindy's do the other 11 months of the year?

Scouting, watching tape, visiting schools and interviewing players and coaches of course.
I wonder if/how many pre-season AA's were beaten out for the starting spot?

palum

Former UWP defensive end Andrew Robinson is on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers roster in the CFL

http://www.bluebombers.com/players/andrew-robinson/

Their last preseason game is tonight so I don't know if he is on the team or if they still have cuts to make?

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: palum on June 08, 2016, 02:45:12 PM
Former UWP defensive end Andrew Robinson is on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers roster in the CFL

http://www.bluebombers.com/players/andrew-robinson/

Their last preseason game is tonight so I don't know if he is on the team or if they still have cuts to make?

Way cool, I hope he makes it.   That dude was a freakin' beast. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

retagent

Didn't he play the psycho killer in the original Dirty Harry?

AndOne

I apologize if this has previously been reported.
Today, the Chicago Bears announced they have waived QB Matt Blanchard and signed Dalyn Williams who played at national powerhouse ;) Dartmouth. In 2015 Williams passed for 2,592 yards and 17 TDs with 5 INTs.
I've always thought Blanchard was at least as good as any 3rd team QB who was signed/retained over him, and could due a nice job if given the opportunity.

BoBo

Quote from: emma17 on June 08, 2016, 10:34:04 AM
Quote from: BoBo on June 08, 2016, 02:19:35 AM

Scouting, watching tape, visiting schools and interviewing players and coaches of course.
I wonder if/how many pre-season AA's were beaten out for the starting spot?

emma, really?

That comment proves you've lost your edge this offseason...you did give me a laughable moment, however!!  Since it's almost summer, maybe your head is buried in the sand or maybe worse - you actually believe what you wrote.  I don't know, but if you actually think these publications scout, watch tape, visit schools, interview players and coaches to make these pre-season lists (or even do one of them), you're acting very nieve. Staff at publications like Lindy's wouldn't know how to find 75% of the D3 schools across the country, or waste their time and little money they have scouting or watching tape etc. Hell, they probably don't even know where the University of Chicago is!! Lindy's knows as much about D3 football as I do about quantum physics. Again, laughable comment emma.

My theory is that in some window-less cubical at the office, an intern cuts and pastes from a list like D3Football.com's 2015 AA team. If you compare them side by side, that's all they did to assemble this pre-season team. I hope they gave D3football.com credit for stealing their work - I would never buy it so I don't know.  They deleted all the senior players from the '15 AA team, then cut and pasted the underclassmen according to their position. The entire first team offense and all but 2 LB'ers and the kicker on the first team defense comes off in the exactly position. Only one player who should have been on this list (if you agree with this method), but was left off is 3rd team D3 kick returner De'Eric Bell, Jr., Guilford. He should be the 2nd team Lindy's pre-season KR. Come on Lindy's, give the kid his due!!  I'm sure if you are patient and wait for d3football.com to make their pre-season team, it will be virtually identical because they assemble their team exactly the same as this crap list.

BTW, Lindy's 2nd team's had to dig into the well of D3 football's All-region teams, as will D3football.com when they do theirs too, to fill the holes, for lack of underclassmen on the AA list.  But the pattern they used is very clear. It's not even very clever.  They've cherry picked a few names from the various regions and SHAZAM...we got ourselves a list!!  An basically, didn't cost them a dime, and without actually doing anything much. Heck, it took me only about 15 minutes to do it, probably took that little, motivated intern less time.

Yeah, I know emma is only trolling with this one and I took the bait, but why not.  But, one question for you - how do we answer your question above?
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

jknezek

Quote from: AndOne on June 10, 2016, 12:10:05 AM
Today, the Chicago Bears announced they have waived QB Matt Blanchard and signed Dalyn Williams who played at national powerhouse ;) Dartmouth. In 2015 Williams passed for 2,592 yards and 17 TDs with 5 INTs.
I've always thought Blanchard was at least as good as any 3rd team QB who was signed/retained over him, and could due a nice job if given the opportunity.

Dalyn Williams... 21 years old
Matt Blanchard... 27 years old

You pretty much know, at this point, where Blanchard falls. And compared to all those kids who don't make the NFL, you know... pretty much all of them, Blanchard is really, really damn good. But if you are an NFL team you know what you have with him. Might as well try someone else and see if there more of an upside that hasn't been developed in Blanchard across multiple season and multiple teams. Neither one is likely to see the field, so you don't give up much.

emma17

Quote from: jknezek on June 10, 2016, 09:00:09 AM
Quote from: AndOne on June 10, 2016, 12:10:05 AM

Dalyn Williams... 21 years old
Matt Blanchard... 27 years old

You pretty much know, at this point, where Blanchard falls. And compared to all those kids who don't make the NFL, you know... pretty much all of them, Blanchard is really, really damn good. But if you are an NFL team you know what you have with him. Might as well try someone else and see if there more of an upside that hasn't been developed in Blanchard across multiple season and multiple teams. Neither one is likely to see the field, so you don't give up much.

Matt made a heck of a run at it. Unfortunately I think JK is right. 27 v 21 is hard to argue.

emma17

Bobo
Technically I wasn't trolling, I was being facetious. You're probably right in that you spent more time on the project.

As for pre-season AA's that actually get beat out and end up not starting- I have to believe it's happened. I can envision scenarios like a transfer coming in, or a player takes the off season off and digresses.
I don't consider injury or grades in this question, just performance.

wally_wabash

Quote from: emma17 on June 10, 2016, 10:39:44 AM
Bobo
Technically I wasn't trolling, I was being facetious. You're probably right in that you spent more time on the project.

As for pre-season AA's that actually get beat out and end up not starting- I have to believe it's happened. I can envision scenarios like a transfer coming in, or a player takes the off season off and digresses.

There may be others if people wanted to dig, but the one I know of is Germany Woods, Mount Union (2013 maybe?).  Woods transferred from Heidelberg to Mount Union after an All-American season, sat out a year (silly OAC transfer rules), was a preseason AA the year he was eligible to play again and then basically never played a meaningful down at RB at UMU.  Really one of the strangest careers we've seen in D3. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

cubs

Bachar goes in the 5th round to the Padres....  Here is his summary:

The kicker and punter on Wisconsin-Whitewater football squads that won NCAA Division III national titles in 2013 and 2014 and reached the semifinals in 2015, Bachar didn't join the baseball team until last spring. He pitched a six-hit shutout in the NCAA D-III regional playoffs and ranked as the top prospect in the collegiate Northwoods League during the summer, then encored this spring by pitching the Warhawks to the D-III College World Series. He's the Badger State's best college prospect since Jordan Zimmermann came out of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in 2007 and Whitewater's best since Bob Wickman in 1990. Bachar has made a lot of progress in little more than a year since he returned to the mound, showing the potential to have four solid pitches. He usually operates at 89-93 mph with a fastball that can touch 95. He has good feel for spin, with both his curveball and slider featuring power and depth, and also has some aptitude for changing speeds. Bachar throws quality strikes with all of his offerings, so there are no issues with him remaining a starter at the next level. His strong build should provide him with the needed durability. There's not much projection remaining in his physically mature frame, though his stuff could get a tick better once he dedicates himself fully to baseball.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

retagent

emma17

Quote from: wally_wabash on June 10, 2016, 11:01:05 AM
Quote from: emma17 on June 10, 2016, 10:39:44 AM
Bobo

There may be others if people wanted to dig, but the one I know of is Germany Woods, Mount Union (2013 maybe?).  Woods transferred from Heidelberg to Mount Union after an All-American season, sat out a year (silly OAC transfer rules), was a preseason AA the year he was eligible to play again and then basically never played a meaningful down at RB at UMU.  Really one of the strangest careers we've seen in D3.

I forgot about him- great example. I felt bad for the kid. Didn't his replacement at H Berg come in and have a great season too? 
To me, the subject of preseason AA's is similar to offering high school juniors scholarships. I'm amazed by athletes that don't need a senior year of development to be considered one of the best in the country at their position.

badgerwarhawk

Am I the only one who took BoBo's comment in more of a sarcastic tone rather than thinking he was actually serious when he said that they scout, watch tape etc. etc.?  I never thought for a second that he was serious.    Nobody aside from the people on this site put that much effort into D3, nobody. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."