MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Matt Letourneau on February 22, 2009, 09:40:13 PM
Okay, look...

For whatever reason, Banzhaf and Catholic have taken a lot of crap here.  I still think he's the player of the year.  Obviously I'm biased, but that doesn't make me wrong.  From an intangible standpoint, he was the anchor on a very young team that really turned it around this year. 

I think the crap is directly related to the amount of your Banzhaf cheerleading, it can be a bit excessive at times. First with Rookie of the Year and now with Player of the Year.

I checked the conference webpage and Weds 25 FEB Catholic at Scranton 7:30pm at the Long Center.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

TheGrove

Joel Patch was Landmark Player of the Week again.  Of course, Banzhaf has four POWs to Patch's three, so that must make him POY.  ;D

(Matt - not giving Banzhaf crap, I have respect for the kid - just some friendly joshing for you.)

Matt Letourneau

I understand!  Patch is a great player and he sounds like a great kid.  We're fortunate to have two players like that in this league.

NEPA--just one final push.  I wanted to get the stats out there.  With this league being spread out so much geographically, we just don't get to see the players/teams that aren't in our area very much, and its very easy to miss who is doing what.   I made my case, I'm done.

Should be some good games this week.   I feel terrible I can't see the Cardinals play Wed. 

tpm4286

Maybe if I donate a ton of money to the Blue & Gold society at Goucher College and place a stipulation on the cash that the only way you will receive this generous donation to the athletic department is if you fire Trevino, does anyone think that will work?

I have a solution to the POY award. Give the award to both banzhaf and patch just like Kobe and shaq shared the MVP of the all star game I don't see anything wrong with co-POY awards if both candidates are worthy. What do you think matt?

NEPAFAN

Matt,

Scranton-Catholic will be on www.scranton.edu/WUSR

Here are some notes:

Cardinal Update (Team): Catholic University enters the Landmark Conference tournamenthaving lost three of their last five games, but did win their most recent outing, a 73-48 victo-ry over Goucher College last Saturday evening at the DeFour Center in Washington,D.C...four of the Cardinals' eight losses this year, however, have been by seven points-or-fewer...on the offensive end, the Cardinals have shot 50 percent-or-better from the field ninetimes, posting a 9-0 record in those games, and 8-3 when shooting at least 40 percent fromthe 3-point arc... defensively, Catholic has held 11 opponents under 65 points and has held13 opponents to less than 45 percent shooting from the field...the Cardinals currently lead theLandmark Conference in rebounding margin (+4.9), are second in scoring offense (73.2),scoring defense (65.3), scoring margin (+7.9), and field goal percentage (.461), and third infree throw percentage (.700) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.337)...the Cardinalsare also a combined 7-6 on the road and in games played on a neutral site...in this week'sNCAA team statistics, Catholic is 47th in free throw percentage (.700), 63rd in scoring margin(+7.9), 72nd in fewest turnovers per game (13.6), and 73rd in scoring defense (65.3 points pergame allowed) and win-loss percentage (.653).

Cardinal Update (Individual): All eyes are likely to be on Cardinal sophomore forwardJason Banzhaf, the 2008 Landmark Conference Rookie of the Year and prime candidate forthis season's player of the year award...Banzhaf has led Catholic in scoring in each of the last16 games and in 23 of 25 games...Banzhaf leads the Landmark Conference in scoring (21.2),is second in rebounding (7.6) and field goal percentage (.598), fourth in 3-point field goal per-centage (.424), fifth in free throw percentage (.802) and minutes played (32.52), and seventhin steals (1.28)...after Banzhaf, its a scoring-by-committee mentality, as seven other playersaverage five-or-more points: sophomore guard RJ Dixon (9.0), sophomore forward SpencerReed (8.0), senior guard Evin Yarbrough (6.5), senior guard Nick Olivero (6.1), junior for-ward Matt Fazzini (5.9), sophomore guard Brian Baker (5.8), and Clark Hindelang(5.5)...in this week's NCAA statistical rankings, Banzhaf is 21st in scoring (21.2) and 24th infield goal percentage, while senior guard Sean Stolzenthaler is 12th in assist-to-turnoverratio (2.58).

Royal Update (Team notes): The defending Landmark Conference champion Royals arein the midst of a season-long five-game winning streak....Scranton is one win shy of postingat least 20 victories for the fourth time in Carl Danzig's eighth season as head coach and forthe 19th time in school history...in their last six games, the Royals are shooting 51.6 percentfrom the field (215 of 407), 44.7 percent from beyond the 3-point arc (67 of 150), and 75.6percent from the free throw line (127 of 168)...during this same span defensively, the Royalsare allowing 65.5 points while holding the opposition to 41.5 shooting from the field (188-453), including 38.5 (55 of 143) from the 3-point arc...in its last four games, Scranton has hadat least four players score in double figures; for the season, the Royals have had at least fourplayers score in double figures in a game 12 times; Scranton is 10-2 when four players scorein double figures...Scranton has yet to allow an opponent to shoot 50 percent-or-higher fromthe field this season...the Royals are 45-21 in (68.2 percent) in Landmark/Middle AtlanticConference tournament games, including a 6-3 mark under Danzig...Scranton is fourth in 3-point field goal percentage (.420), fifth in blocks (5.6), 16th in free throw percentage (.761),35th in field goal percentage defense (.402), 42nd in 3-point field goals made per game (8.2),43rd in field goal percentage (.478), 44th in scoring margin (+9.2) and win-loss percentage(.760), 63rd in scoring defense (64.7 points per game allowed), and 70th in assist-to-turnoverratio (1.04).

Royal Notes (Individual): Senior guard Ryan FitzPatrick is now nine points shy ofbecoming the 36th player in Royals' history to score 1000 career points...in his last threegames, FitzPatrick is averaging 16.3 points while shooting 73.9 percent (17 of 23) from thefield, including 61.1 percent from the 3-point arc (11 of 18)...FitzPatrick leads the LandmarkConference and is third in the latest NCAA statistics in 3-point field goal percentage accuracy(.532)...senior forward Paul Biagioli is averaging 17.5 points in his last nine games, raising hisscoring average from 10.5 to 13.0 points per game...during this stretch, Biagioli is shooting 60percent (60 of 100) from the field...junior guard Dan O'Connell eclipsed his previous career-high of 11 points in the Royals' 66-64 victory over USMMA by knocking down four of sixshots from the field en route to 12 points in 21 minutes of action in last Saturday's win overMoravian...sophomore guard Luke Hawk has scored in double figures in six of his lastseven games and is averaging 11.7 points while shooting 44.4 percent from the field duringthis span...senior forward Paul Hawk has blocked at least one shot in every game this seasonand his team and Landmark Conference-leading 62 blocks is currently the sixth-highest sin-gle-season total in Scranton history; he is currently fifth in NCAA III in blocks (3.0 pergame)...reserve senior forward Eli Londo has shot 50 percent-or-higher from the field in 16of 25 games this year; in his last eight games, he is shooting 66.7 percent from the floor (24of 36) while averaging 7.4 points...sophomore guard Zach Ashworth has made 21 consecu-tive free throws and 27 of his last 29 attempts (93.1 percent); he has also scored in doublefigures in each of his last seven games and in 20 of 25 games this year.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

TheGrove

Joel Patch is a finalist for the Jostens Trophy!!!

(but Banzhaf isn't - now shouldn't that put Patch ahead of Banzhaf for Landmark POY, if he's a finalist for national POY?  ;D )

BCannon

Jostens Trophy isn't for National POY. It's for a combination of academics and athletics I believe.

TheGrove

"The Rotary Club of Salem, Va., annually honors the most outstanding Division III men's and women's basketball players of the year with the Jostens Trophy. The award takes into account three vital parts: basketball ability, academic prowess and community service."

BCannon

Quote from: TheGrove on February 24, 2009, 03:06:39 PM
"The Rotary Club of Salem, Va., annually honors the most outstanding Division III men's and women's basketball players of the year with the Jostens Trophy. The award takes into account three vital parts: basketball ability, academic prowess and community service."

it is not national player of the year and is not strictly basketball related hence why he is on the list

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

bballfan10... I actually thought TheGrove was being sarcastic!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BCannon

no don't think he was. look at his response to what I posted. it seems to me he thinks the Jostens is for the National POY. if he was then my apologies, but why wouldn't he just say he was being sarcastic then after my response?

Matt Letourneau

FWIW, I read it the same way as bballfan10.  Who knows...in any case, I think the people who are actually voting on conference POY know that it doesn't matter. 

And to that end, tpm, if an equal number of coaches vote for both of them, then they should tie.  But honestly, I think the most deserving player should win...whichever one the coaches think that is.  I certainly think that any kind of coordinated vote fixing by the coaches to ensure a certain result would be inappropriate.

Pat Coleman

As a voter, I can tell you those two vital parts are definitely considered.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

TheGrove

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on February 24, 2009, 07:20:49 PM
bballfan10... I actually thought TheGrove was being sarcastic!

You're on the money, d-mac. Just indulging in some gentle joshing again, but bballfan10 had to go pee in the Wheaties for some reason...

BCannon

while you may have been joshing about the patch v banzhaf thing, you still thought it was the national poy award and you can pretend like you didn't now of course, but you wouldnt have responded with ur post explaining what the jostens trophy was and bolding the most outstanding players part. i was simply educating your feeble SU mind.