MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Letourneau

Well actually I said the opposite...Landmark will be better than CAC, in my humble opinion.

Yes, it will be great if Hood wins a few games too.  But all I'm saying is that THIS year, Catholic played a CAC schedule and in fact took some hits, so if they have a nice tournament run, its still a good thing for the CAC.

After we're officially gone, I certainly wouldn't expect anybody else from the CAC to care how we do.

And for the record, Catholic leaving the CAC was not about "thinking they were better" than the CAC.  It was a desire to be in a more geographically diverse conference that has more schools like them in it.   As has been said, I don't think this was a basketball decision as much as a big picture athletics decision.  There comes a point when a $30,000 a year school trying to attract a lacrosse player just can't compete with a $14,000 a year school in the same league.

Basketball is different because of the tradition and history--if you come play at Catholic, you can pretty much take it to the bank that your season is not ending in February.

Salem, VA

thats all politically crap...York competes in almost all sports with catholic and it fact does better in a lot of sports.  Its catholic trying to "think" there above everyone else.  And please the CAC will be much better as a whole then the Landmark in every sport.

Cardinal guy

Quote from: Salem, VA on February 26, 2007, 02:09:39 PM
thats all politically crap...York competes in almost all sports with catholic and it fact does better in a lot of sports.  Its catholic trying to "think" there above everyone else.  And please the CAC will be much better as a whole then the Landmark in every sport.

Yeah. Like-minded institutions, where the students know how to spell "they're" and "than."

And institutions where they can understand a simple debate -- we are saying in fact that Catholic can't compete for student-athletes with low-cost institutions and state schools. So, duh, if York does better in a lot of sports that actually proves our argument, not yours.

We'll take the CAC in women's basketball, in volleyball, and I think in men's basketball too. And that's just off the top of my head.

Matt Letourneau

And York is one of the least expensive private schools in the entire country.  You just proved my point!

I just looked it up...tuition is $11,160 dollars at York.  At Catholic, its $27,700.  Total cost of York is just over $20k a year with room and board.  At Catholic, its over $40k.   Catholic and Goucher alone in the league are in that stratosphere cost-wise.  If you think that has no impact on attracting students, you're crazy.

You can call that "political crap," but I call it reality.  

Salem, VA

point well taken...i agree with you in some aspects

but dont tell me the Landmark is better then CAC  it just is not.  York against other Landmark schools are better as a whole in most sports.

Matt Letourneau

I didn't tell you that.  I just said that in a few years time, I wouldn't be surprised if Landmark passed the CAC.   And I was talking about basketball. 

Already, I think most neutral observers would agree that the Catholic-Scranton combo is better than the top two teams in the CAC just in terms of program (and recent) history.  The concern about Landmark will be what the bottom of the league looks like, but that concern always has been present in the CAC.  I mean, will the worst team in Landmark really be worse than Gallaudet was this year?  Some of the Landmark schools have actually shown some real improvement this year, and I expect that to continue.

Frankly, I think there is a real opportunity for a school like York or Hood to just totally dominate the CAC.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Salem, VA on February 26, 2007, 02:27:28 PM
point well taken...i agree with you in some aspects

but dont tell me the Landmark is better then CAC  it just is not.  York against other Landmark schools are better as a whole in most sports.

Wow you should form a group with Colonel John and Warren Thompson.

York is one school in the CAC; they may be better than some Landmark schools in some sports. But I don't think you want to break down York vs. all Landmark schools in all sports.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Salem, VA

i agree with you maybe in due time...York has already started to dominate many sports in CAC's are mostly top 2 or 3 in most!!

njlincolnlion

Permit me to enter into CAC/Landmark discussion, but I think Salisbury has won the last couple of CAC all sports championships  :) .
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

TheGrove

Quote from: Cardinal guy on February 26, 2007, 02:20:11 PM
We'll take the CAC in women's basketball, in volleyball, and I think in men's basketball too. And that's just off the top of my head.

Juniata alone will do the trick in volleyball. I'd guess the Landmark won't be too shabby in lacrosse, either, although Salisbury will keep the CAC flag pretty high.

I almost feel sorry for Merchant Marine in this conversation... all this "you're leaving the MAC/CAC" hate going on, everyone's ignoring them.  ;) Any of their fans out there?

njlincolnlion

The Grove:

While Juniata has the Volleyball championships, Salisbury has won a few Field Hockey National Championships lately  :) .
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

TheGrove

You'll notice I also conveniently left out soccer, too (*cough*Messiah*cough*)  :D

Salem, VA

Messiah and York could arguably be 1 and 2 when the polls come out in the fall for men's soccer.

York three years in a row national coach of the year (basketball, wrestling, soccer).

I dont think Catholic was better then York in womens basketball.  Mary Wash was top 15.

I think the CAC's is better then the LAndmark especially in both soccer, basketball, I was going to say wrestling but most schools dont have it.  Give York a little credit from where they have come from til now over the last 5 years.  They are the dominant power in the major sports in the CAC!

Matt Letourneau

Well, honestly I was really only talking about basketball, since that's what this thread is devoted to.  I never really followed any other sport at CUA so I'm not knowledgeable enough about the other teams in the CAC and Landmark in other sports. 

Salem, VA

Matt-

I was just putting it out there for debate....
....I will miss Catholic and York last 3 years they split and it was always a good game (not the 2006 @ york or 2007 @ catholic).  It was always intense wheather it was home or away.  So i will miss that aspect!