MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Letourneau

Catholic beat Moravian 85-79.

Cardinals were led by SHOULD-BE-Rookie of the Year Jason Banzhaf's 20 points.   They shot 55% for the game and were 7-12 from 3.  Nick Olivero regained his shot, with 18 points (3-5 from 3).  Catholic was 18-26 from the free throw line, too.

What a nice way to end the season at home.  I think we've clearly diagnosed their problem--me! (Couldn't make the game today). 

saratoga

Just got back from the Scranton/Goucher game...first, the officiating in both games was pretty good. There were no calls that made anyone jump up & take exception. In the womens game it was pretty much over at the half & the kids from both schools seemed to be getting along...some kids sharing laughs with each other during breaks in the game...some really nice sportsmanship. The mens game was a game of runs by both teams & did get a little physical at times but, never did it even remotely appear the game was getting out of control. With a minute & a half to go it was anyones game...then Randy Arnold hit a big shot, the Royals finally put together a great defensive stop & Tom Bicknell got a huge rebound on the miss & then made his foul shots. A real nice following of Lady Royal & Royal fans to Washington & Baltimore/Towson this weekend. Lastly, I would like to add that many of us that made the trip down were very impressed with the facilities at Goucher...a nice atmosphere for a game...certainly far better than some of the dungeons we've had to play in through the years in the MAC.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: saratoga on February 17, 2008, 07:32:54 PM
Just got back from the Scranton/Goucher game...first, the officiating in both games was pretty good. There were no calls that made anyone jump up & take exception. In the womens game it was pretty much over at the half & the kids from both schools seemed to be getting along...some kids sharing laughs with each other during breaks in the game...some really nice sportsmanship. The mens game was a game of runs by both teams & did get a little physical at times but, never did it even remotely appear the game was getting out of control. With a minute & a half to go it was anyones game...then Randy Arnold hit a big shot, the Royals finally put together a great defensive stop & Tom Bicknell got a huge rebound on the miss & then made his foul shots. A real nice following of Lady Royal & Royal fans to Washington & Baltimore/Towson this weekend. Lastly, I would like to add that many of us that made the trip down were very impressed with the facilities at Goucher...a nice atmosphere for a game...certainly far better than some of the dungeons we've had to play in through the years in the MAC.

Bicknell had a monster game, perhaps his best as a Royal. Big play down the strech , with two minutes or so left: Brendan Fuller after throwing the ball in the hands of a Goucher player, hustles back down the court and steals the ball. Zach Ashworth then drains a big three to put the Royals up by 4. It appears to be very tough to win on the Road thus far in the Landmark. You really have to watch out for those landmines!

Moravian, Juniata, and Susquehanna ( lost to DREW!) tied for first. Scranton now in the last playoff spot...plenty of time to sort out tie-breakers.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

NEPAFAN: Got to meet Tom's family at the Goucher game today as they stayed in all week since last Sat's. Senior Day. Great people & as you stated...got to see him play another huge game. Well, three teams with 4 losses & the Royals with 5...they're in...just a matter of seeing how things shake out after next Sat.

kate

Hey, Saratoga - does the great facility at Goucher help em play any better?  Sooo sorry for the "dungeons" you all had to tolerate through your years in the MAC - good grief!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

kate - those facilities do make the Gophers play better!  ;D :P

Scranton fans - nice to see all of you at the SRC! I was happy to actually meet a few of you one on one (those who came up to me as I was running around :)) and those who quickly said hello as you were leaving. I certainly looked forward to meeting new fans and seeing a new atmosphere in this conference, and many teams did not disappoint!

Also, thanks for the kinds words from a few of you. I do appreciate it!

As for the game... let me get back to you... I am working to get Hoopsville's archives up.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Matt Letourneau on February 17, 2008, 06:18:26 PM
What a nice way to end the season at home.  I think we've clearly diagnosed their problem--me! (Couldn't make the game today). 
Matt... any chance we can talk you into coming to the SRC on Saturday, then?!  ;D
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Good weekend going 4-0 on the road. Royals were almost as hot shooting in opening minutes against Goucher as they were last nite. Between good 3-pt shooting and Tom Bicknell getting baskets down low both from good passes and his own offensive board work, they jumped ahead 19-9 and held it until tied somewhere around 51.
Goucher was aggressive and athletic, as advertised, although with no one who could contend with Tom Bicknell. They had a decent press but Scranton was effective in breaking it They came back mostly thru effective inside work on offense. They got as close as 1 down with the ball and 1:35 left but a tough driving layup by Ryan,  a big 3-pter by Zach and sets of fouf shots from Randy, Zach, and Tom, and good defense on Goucher's last 3 possessions provided the victory.
   Many good screens set by Royals throughout the play including 2 for Tom on sideline inbound plays. A refreshing change.
  Met Mr. Bicknell, a friendly gracious man, just like his son. We're lucky Tom came our way, both as player and student.
  Met Prof Harry Dammer, analysis guy on Royals internet radio. I, as an internet listener, count on Harry to let me know when the Royals aren't playing as well as they can.
  Finally, met d-mac, top-notch PA man at Goucher, and host of the Hoopsville show on this site.
  Yes, a good weekend.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

ronk - pleasure meeting you... sorry I couldn't chat longer, job gets in the way sometimes.

Impressed with your team... though I now want to know more about why the team doesn't have a better record!

ronk

In general, I would say mainly a lack of effort in the Moravian game, Saratoga can probably tell about the other 2 home losses, but nobody knows about the 5 losses on the road. Most games that Arnold missed, we won anyhow.

ronk

Saratoga,
    didn't know u were going to be there today or else I would have looked u up also.

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on February 17, 2008, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: Matt Letourneau on February 17, 2008, 06:18:26 PM
Matt... any chance we can talk you into coming to the SRC on Saturday, then?!  ;D

Well, lucky for you, you might get your wish.   We're planning on making the trip--all three of us.  So be prepared for a budding marathon man running up and down the sidelines.  He likes the action on the court, but not the yelling--so when he's with me at games, its a new and improved daddy who sits there quietly, even with the officials blow a call.  (It kills me.)  Fortunately, mommy takes him for walks, so daddy can get some things off his chest.  (I'm mostly kidding, with the exception of really two calls all year (the intentional foul called on Stolz against Goucher, and the non-call when he was mauled shooting a made three against Juanitia), I really haven't been all that riled up about anything all year anyway--and both of those calls were made by the same official). 

I'm sorry I missed the Scranton people, too.  Would have liked to meet. 

I will say that top to bottom, I've been impressed with the conference, and the fan bases that have turned out for road games.  I didn't get to any road games this year--just can't do certain things with a one year old--but I hope to in the future.   Catholic has a good nucleus of young players now, and if most of them stay with it for a couple of years, I think we'll really have something special which could make for some nice road trips.

I think play has been more consistent.  Landmark teams are more disciplined than some in the CAC.  There were some nights when you could just tell that a certain team flat out didn't care and the 5 guys out there were not even trying to play together.  You aren't going to get that in this league--sure, there will be upsets and not everybody is going to play well every night, but I think the "quality" from top to bottom is better.  The teams are well coached with good kids.  I don't think we'll have any Jerome Habel's popping up for 12 games and then getting busted dealing drugs.  (Btw...that kid blew another chance at SDSU this year...shocking).

saratoga

Ronk & Dave: Would have loved to meet you both as well...just had to head back into Baltimore's harbor right after the game to meet up with my wife & daughter who decided they needed to do a bit more shopping. Thanks to the Great State of New York...off tomorrow so we stayed an extra night. Even if the Royals didn't win...we had a great time & obviously both Goucher & Catholic have a great nucleus for next season. Dave, you too are perplexed by the Royals record when you get to see them play some decent ball? It starts & ends with their defensive effort...when they come to play they can beat anyone anywhere...when they get lazy...they lose horribly...even at the Long Center.

cold_case

'toga, why don't you just come clean and admit you stood overnight so you can beat the rush at the ticket window at Camden Yards. ;D

Matt Letourneau

Here is why Jason Banzhaf, hands down, should be the Landmark Conference Rookie of the Year:

He's averaging 11.8 points per game, 10th in the league.  He is the ONLY non-senior in the top 10.

He's averaging 6.7 rebounds per game, 7th in the league.  Highest ranked freshman.

He's shooting 54%, 3rd in the league.  He is the ONLY non-upperclassman in the top 15.  In fact, the top 15 is comprised of 13 seniors, 1 junior and Jason.

He is 9th in the league in FT percentage (.750).  Also the highest ranking freshman.

I think Jason's only real competition is Zach Ashworth, who is certainly having a nice year, too.  Its obviously hard to compare a guard to a forward, but Jason's better in PPG (11.8-10.5), and shoots for a much higher percentage (54% to 42%).

Despite being a forward, Jason is still an excellent 3 point shooter--40% this year.  Again, better than Ashworth.

And I think you have to strongly consider Jason's rebounding efforts against the big boys in this league.  For a freshman, he has more than held his own against bigger, older and stronger bodies all year long.

And frankly, he hasn't had all that much help around him, so the pressure has been on him to perform.  Ashworth has actually played slightly more minutes, so they've both had equal opportunity to put up numbers. 

I'd be extremely disappointed if Jason didn't win Rookie of the Year.  He deserves it.