MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bballfan112

Congratulations to the Landmark Conference's 3 All Region Selections:
Josh Robinson, Susquehanna, 2nd Team
Brian Cannon, Juniata, 2nd Team
Tom Bicknell, Scranton, 3rd Team

All 3 of these players led their teams to great seasons and are all very deserving of the honor!

ronk

It was mentioned on the multiregional subject that Scranton is one of only 3 schools with championships in both men & women's bball. Wash U joined Wis-Stevens Point Saturday as the others. Rather select company.

Matt Letourneau

It has certainly been an exciting week for Catholic University.  Having Pope Benedict visit campus twice has been an unprecedented level of attention and prestige to the school.  Truly an exciting time to be an alum and I couldn't be prouder about the way that everything was handled. 

Can't hurt for recruiting, either... ;D

saratoga

Matt: Perhaps the real reason he visited is because he's applying for the womans hoop vacancy...the NYC & UN visits are just a cover.  ;)

NEPAFAN

Danzig is being mentioned in the forums/blogs as one of the canidates as the next coach at Bucknell. Bucknell's head coach just retired and Danzig has close ties to the area. Danzig coached there and his father is in the Bucknell Hall of Fame.

I have no idea if Bucknell or Danzig are interested and it is a long list of candiates, but nevertheless:

http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/7527/tp/1/

http://00569a6.netsolhost.com/wordpresstest/?p=169

From the second link:

Carl Danzig – A holdover from Charlie Woollum's staff, Danzig spent 11 seasons as an assistant at Bucknell before former Scranton A.D. Toby Lovecchio, a former Bucknell assistant A.D., hired him as the Royals head coach in 2001. Since then Danzig has compiled as 120-69 (.635) record, with three conference titles, including this past season, and three trips to the D-III tournament, including a sweet 16 in 2003.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

BCannon

So does anybody have anything to offer up in terms of recruits coming in for the teams this year? I see Scranton has on their website a nice update on who they have coming in, but I don't believe I have seen that anywhere else. With what little we know right now about the teams for next year does anyone care to speculate? I see Scranton, Catholic, and Merchant Marine being 3 of the top 4 next year. I don't know who I believe the fourth will be at this point, but those three teams I would bet money on being in the playoffs next year.

bballfan112

I think you could add Susquehanna to the mix. Even though they graduated Robinson and Cuff, they have back Majors and Patch to form a good 1-2 punch. Plus, you never know who they will have transferring in next.

Moravian and Juniata both lost a lot, so it will be interesting to see what kind of recruiting classes they both have coming in. I am not so sure what Drew and Goucher have coming back, but it does not look like Goucher lost a whole lot from last year.

BCannon

Don't think Majors will be back at SU next year I think he transferred to Millersville. Goucher returns everyone I believe save a few role players underneath. Juniata has a very large recruiting class this year and Moravian I am sure will be doing the same. Juniata however returns more experience in my opinion then Moravian and will have Senior leaders where as Moravian will probably be dependent upon Bays for leadership and as the go to player.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: bballfan10 on June 13, 2008, 02:45:09 AM
So does anybody have anything to offer up in terms of recruits coming in for the teams this year? I see Scranton has on their website a nice update on who they have coming in, but I don't believe I have seen that anywhere else. With what little we know right now about the teams for next year does anyone care to speculate? I see Scranton, Catholic, and Merchant Marine being 3 of the top 4 next year. I don't know who I believe the fourth will be at this point, but those three teams I would bet money on being in the playoffs next year.

Bballfan10,

Don't have more to add than what appeared on Scranton's website. Jaskula at 6'7 could be a replacement for Bicknell. However, Scranton losses a lot this year with Arnold and Kirk also moving on.   Thanks for striking up some conversation!
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

BCannon

Yes sounds like a potential replacement, but I think Paul Hawk, Fuller, and Biagioli will all be able to pick up the slack for the departed big man, what do you think? I guess in a sense you could also include Hawk's younger brother as a member of this years incoming class. I heard/read good things about him, do you know if he is a possible impact player for Scranton this year?

cold_case

Quote from: bballfan10 on July 02, 2008, 11:51:44 PM
Yes sounds like a potential replacement, but I think Paul Hawk, Fuller, and Biagioli will all be able to pick up the slack for the departed big man, what do you think? I guess in a sense you could also include Hawk's younger brother as a member of this years incoming class. I heard/read good things about him, do you know if he is a possible impact player for Scranton this year?

Luke Hawk is the best player on the roster. Ashworth is a distant second, which tells you something about Luke Hawk.
They also have a 6-5 banger (Ivan Bogovich), he can rebound as good as anyone but his scoring will come off rebounds (kid can't shoot to save his life).
The new kid (Jaskula) is so-so. Scranton may be using the three-point arc more than anytime since its inception.

BCannon

Didn't know that about Hawk. Look forward to seeing how he develops through his career, and what he and Ashworth accomplish together. Another guy worth mentioning in my opinion from Scranton is Londo. I believe he can make an impact. Seemed like a good athlete who just didn't have a total grasp of what the coach wanted last year. Anyone have anything to add about Catholic (Matt)? I am interested to hear about them.

BCannon

NEPA and Cold Case: Being from that side of the state, do either of you know anything about Moravian and how their recruits and returners look?

NEPAFAN

bballfan10,

Interesting take on Londo. I know that he has been battling injuries throughout his college career. I think he will certainly be in the mix in the front court for the Royals and will probably have a chance to show what he's got.

Sorry I can't provide any insight into Moravian, although I do believe they are losing alot?
Vince Lombardi

BCannon

Well I have only seen him twice in person (1 of those games he was pretty impressive) so it may be an unfair judgement on my part, I am just speculating on why he wasnt playing. Injuries problly should have come to mind first now that I think back he had a huge brace on his leg.