MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEPAFAN

Saratoga-

I agree with the lack of a post presence. Not sure why a replacement for Bicknell wasn't recruited, when you essentially had two years to do it. It will be interesting to see who leads the Royals in rebounding this year. I do think you will see a lot more cuts and slashing to the basket this year.

As far as the point, wasn't Ashworth a point guard in high school? I believe it is his job to lose this year. Let's see what happens. I think the Royals are in better shape at the point than in the post. While I appreciate Macfan's recap it  sounds like he writes for the King's newspaper. I am going to reserve judgement until after the tip off tourny this weekend. Let the games begin!
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

BCannon

I must be crazy because I think Scranton has one of the top two teams in the league going into this year and another legit shot at the NCAA. IMHO Ashworth and Biagioli will be 2 of the best players in the league and certainly All Conference players, Hawk is a skilled big who plays good defense and is an above average rebounder, and Fitzpatrick is lights out. With regards to the rebounding the team has 8 players listed at 6'6 or taller I am sure at least 1 or 2 of these guys can go in there and do the job. Of these 8 players 5 of them are either Freshman or Sophomores so we havent had the opportunity to see what they could do yet. In addition to this I thought I read that Luke Hawk was a stud (granted that was before injury so who knows what kind of player he is now).

I am by no means a Scranton follower or that knowledgeable about the players on the team because I have only seen them in person a few times so I may be making some judgements that are out of line but I would like to hear a more in depth analysis of the team from someone who has a little more knowledge of them then myself.

saratoga

bballfan10:  Don't get me wrong...Scranton will be pretty good, it's just that I seriously doubt they are that much better this year when they lost their point & the best big man in the league. The fact is, they couldn't even get one win in the NCAA's with those guys so I do question where the assists & rebounds will be coming from this season.   There is no question that Zach Ashworth can get the job done at the point...the problem is at this level his true position is the 2 guard. He is constant motion and works as hard as anyone to come off screens & nail jumper after jumper & just when you come out after him, he'll blow by his man for a layup. By him running the show, much of his own personal strengths are taken away.  As for rebounds...last year Tom Bicknell averaged 11.5 per game...nobody else on the Royals was even a close second. You have to drop all the way down to Paul Hawk at 4.5 for the next in line & Biagioli was 3rd. at 3.5. Hence, my concern. Just because a particular team has some size in no way equates into an automatic post presence. Paul has never enjoyed playing down low as his game has always been outside. Obviously, when Scranton can create some mismatches they'll try and get him down low but, his game usually does not flourish on the blocks.  As for Biagioli, he can certainly bang with the best but again, he is more of a wing player who'll slash to the hoop not live down there. Another thing with Paul...he led Scranton in fouling out last year & does tend to pick up silly fouls...therefore, put him down low & out of his natural position & he may not average 16 minutes per game & now you lose his creativity with the ball.  I think Scranton's lack of ability to bring in big kids & a point over the last two years that are game ready when they knew this day was near will hurt them dearly if not this year, then most certainly next.   One thing going for the Royals is Canio will certainly improve the perimeter defense which was lacking much of last year & if the guys box out then maybe 4 or 5 guys can average decent rebound numbers that will help pick up Tom's departed stats. The hopes are high...let's wish for the best.

BCannon

Preseason poll came out today

1. Scranton
2. USMM
3. Susq
4. CUA
5. JC
6. GC
7. MC
8. Drew

Toga- I didn't mean to come off as saying that because they have size they will have a rebounder, I was trying to make the point they have options I didn't mean to sound stupid there. With regards to Bicknell and his great rebounding numbers it certainly benefited him that he never had to guard the other teams best post player where as Hawk, Biagioli, and Fuller all had that distinction. Instead of being out of rebounding position and picking up fouls guarding the other teams best big he had the luxury of letting the other guys do that for him while he was allowed to focus on rebounding ( this also contributing to the others high foul numbers i.e. Hawk). Also contributing to Hawks low minutes per game I believe he had an injury that limited him in a few games.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: bballfan10 on November 11, 2008, 06:22:52 PM
Preseason poll came out today

1. Scranton
2. USMM
3. Susq
4. CUA
5. JC
6. GC
7. MC
8. Drew

USMM returns all their starters and beat Scranton twice. Moravian must have lost a ton...
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

BCannon

I think USMMA will be the other top team in the league and I believe they have the most valuable player in the league in Samuels. Right now I would pick him as my favorite for POY as long as the Merch Marines play to their capabilities.

With regards to Moravian they lose their top 4 PPG, RBG, and MPG guys as well as Siracusa and Bays. They do return Weaver and Young but the team is very young and has only one Senior in Dave Bowden who missed all of last year with an injury. Could be a difficult year for them.

Think the wild card teams will defn be the 3-6 teams. All of these teams suffered significant losses but all return a number of talented players as well.

G-manWU

With Scranton no longer coming to the Marts Center, I only saw the Royals once last season, in the matinee special vs. Hartwick. From what I know of the players returning the Royals still have a greta deal of talent and I would imagine they will be right in the mixfor the conference title. In terms of the point, it was always my understanding that O'Connell was recruited as the heir apparent to Arnold, but you guys know the deal better than I do for sure.

Looking at Bicknell and the rebounding, his abilities and contributions are something that isn't exactly replaced by just plugging one guy into the mix. Rather, I look at such a situation and enjoy seeing how the coaching staff adjusts to compensate for the lost production. It may take two or three guys in different roles to get the job done on the boards, so keep a eye out as to who is getitng the job done on that end.

ColonelJohn4Life

You guys get that whole "automatic bid" thing straightened out yet?
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

NEPAFAN

No Season Previews in the local papers?
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

NEPAFAN: Season previews? In the local papers? That's a good one...they don't even know the Royals & Lady Royals exist until the playoffs roll around. I remember two years ago when the Lady Royals were in Springfield at the Final Four...the Scranton Times had their "beat reporter" up there writing all this wonderful stuff about the program, the players, the coaches & the fans like he knew what he was even writing about. In reality, prior to that weekend, he couldn't tell you who Taryn Mellody was in a lineup of only 3 players. On the other hand, if you want to read about some washed up hockey player in his 29th. AHL season...they'll print his glorious life history every day for a month.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: saratoga on November 14, 2008, 12:33:33 PM
NEPAFAN: Season previews? In the local papers? That's a good one...they don't even know the Royals & Lady Royals exist until the playoffs roll around. I remember two years ago when the Lady Royals were in Springfield at the Final Four...the Scranton Times had their "beat reporter" up there writing all this wonderful stuff about the program, the players, the coaches & the fans like he knew what he was even writing about. In reality, prior to that weekend, he couldn't tell you who Taryn Mellody was in a lineup of only 3 players. On the other hand, if you want to read about some washed up hockey player in his 29th. AHL season...they'll print his glorious life history every day for a month.

I remember last year a fairly detailed write up on the transition to the Landmark Conference, I believe there were at least two articles.  I guess that was a one time thing?

Vince Lombardi

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ColonelJohn4Life on November 14, 2008, 07:45:24 AM

NCAA has a two-year waiting period on new conferences.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ColonelJohn4Life

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 15, 2008, 01:12:22 AM
Quote from: ColonelJohn4Life on November 14, 2008, 07:45:24 AM
NCAA has a two-year waiting period on new conferences.

Pat, it's not that you were able to answer the question.
It's that you were able to answer it, succinctly, at 1:22 AM.
Bravo...
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

cugrad

G-manWU

Saratoga,

In case you missed it, the Scranton Times-Tribune ran a decent season preview on Saturday. Still not quite as comprehensive as it should be- as none of the teams covered got a good deal of info in- but better than nothing. Sadly, the days of the local papers giving priority to the local D3 schools is far gone, but cheers for the occasional good write-up.