MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawks4

Quote from: A Buc Forever on February 01, 2015, 12:35:58 PM
I don't think WW will lose two games.

"I don't think WW will lose two games."...Two games.

Sorry A Buc, but you're as guilty as Rat. You know what's coming too. Let's talk Tuesday.

playball

YESSSSS!  We beat Fox.  This tough season now has a redeeming quality. 

Side note:  George Fox calls Linfield, Sinfield.  Aren't they so clever!?  ::)

A Buc Forever

LF wins, WSU beats Stanford and WW loses within a week of each other.  Start looking for some flying pigs.  Blackhawks, I'm happy for you.

(509)Rat

Yeah glad I didn't stay up to watch that one. It's what our friends over in collegeville, MN would call a monkey stomp... :'(

blackhawks4

Quote from: A Buc Forever on February 04, 2015, 01:35:15 AM
LF wins, WSU beats Stanford and WW loses within a week of each other.  Start looking for some flying pigs.  Blackhawks, I'm happy for you.

Nobody's going to toot it for me, but those predictions, 1) Linfield win, check. 2) WMN blowout of WW, check. 3) two 15-1 seasons (appears to be headed for 15-1 and 14-2--so not exactly, but not bad). 

Look, I'd rather downplay the WMN win last night as just taking care of business as usual, but it was a huge win for one simple reason:  WMN had to prove to themselves that they're a better team than WW.  I think when you're playing WW, you're playing WHITWORTH (kinda like when one stepped in the ring with Mike Tyson--it was was MIKE TYSON).  This was a big win--and to do it in 24 point, blowout fashion was important.

Looking forward, UPS is the only team that has a shot against WW.  That game is 40/60 to me.  Assuming WW holds on, it means another regular season title for WW, and the road goes through Spokane. 

BUT, WMN has a lot to play for, a 20 win season, and a chance at their first NCAA tourney birth.  How many years has it been for either???  Over the past 5 games, there have been stretches where WMN has looked downright dominant on the defensive end.  They've got 2 players coming back from injury (including all nwc player tochi oti), so they have to keep their chemistry fluid as these guys get integrated back into the line-up--this hurt them last year.  If they want to beat WW in Spokane, they have to keep getting better each week.  WMN is a better team this year than WW, but WW is going to play a much better game in Spokane than they did last night. 

(509)Rat

NWC action tonight

Willamette v GF
UPS v Pacific
L&C v PLU
Whitman v Lin

All the teams on the left should win. Straight chalk.

(509)Rat

UPS and L&C blew it last night. Pacific is sitting in 4th now and Puget Sound still has a very real shot of missing the playoffs

With Whitman's loss to Pacific earlier this season they have to hope Whitworth loses 2 more or drops one to UPS and the Loggers move head of Pacific if they want to finish on top of the regular season standings. 

Linfield's guard play is just atrocious, would be very surprised if the game with Whitworth is close tonight.

playball

Nwcsports.com has pacific at third.   I don't think they will hold that spot and believe they are swinging higher than they are at.  PLU was classic at that for the first half of the season in years past just to falter in the second.  Interesting year in the NWC!!

(509)Rat

It actually shows them at fourth. They are technically tied for 3rd with L&C but until they play tonight L&C would hold the tie breaker.

blackhawks4

Does Linfield have the most adorable introduction in the NWC, or what?  All 20 players hold hands and when the starters name is called they step forward and put their hands up.  Its very cute.  At least they've got that going for them.

Something has clicked in Walla Walla and their defense is SUFFOCATING.  This team is getting stronger each game.

What is the tiebreaker?   

(509)Rat

Head to head, then record against next best team. And it just keeps going down the standings until someone has a better record against the common opponent.

So if the Whits were tied and the season ended today they would look at their record against L&C. Both went 2-0 against the Pios. So they go to Pacific, where Whitworth would be 1-0 and Whitman 0-1. Whitworth gets the tiebreaker.

blackhawks4

That tie breaker format is ridiculous--its backwards.  That means if Linfield knocks WW off tonight, WW would have the tiebreaker because they lost to the worst team in the league instead of Pacific??

catjumper

Linfield leads Whitworth at the half? Alert the South Forty!

Seriously, whatever happens in the second half, that appears to be progress.

A Buc Forever

Current Streaks for WW:
Five straight regular season conference championships.
Eight straight conference tournament championships.

Just like to remind everyone where we are at. ;D

Will it be number 6?  I'm betting that will happen.
Number 9?  Toughest road yet.  When WW beat UPS in the conference championship game in 2009 after losing the regular season championship, that was a great win against a great team. I don't think this WM team is as good as that UPS team, but it looks like WM is really getting it together at this point.

Time for Whitworth to start peaking as they head into the playoffs.  Finishing off the regular season as the top seed will be key to winning the conference tournament. Home court is a huge advantage.   I'm worried about how they will do against WM even on their own court, having to beat WM in Walla Walla might be expecting too much. Should be a great conference tournament.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.