MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Jan. 12   Four games on tap tonight in the SUNYAC 3 of them taking place tonight at 7:30 and one of them already finished this afternoon.

That's what happens when I take a few hours off from D3 basketball to live a normal life. Had to get a plow truck since mine went to pickup heaven last week and the Golden Eagles and Fredonia play an unusual Friday afternoon game. Pretty sure the other day the schedule said it was a night game, but I wouldn't swear by it.    

Fredonia State  69  at  Brockport    State 71    Final score.

I would have been all over the the Golden Eagles in this one since I haven't pick Fredonia to win a conference game all year, but I would have picked Port to win by about 25 not 2. The oddsmakers had them winning by 20.

Potsdam State at  Oswego State         7:30 PM

I would like to pick my alma mater to win this one but I think they are up against it in Oswego. They haven't beaten Oswego in 4 years and are only 1-16 in the last 17 games against the Lakers. Hardly the type of stat that inspires confidence. The oddsmakers have the Lakers listed as 12 point favorites tonight but I think the Bears can keep it closer. They could even pull off the upset but I'll take Oswego to win by a 78-72 final score.   

Buffalo State  at  Geneseo        7:30 PM

Hard to pick this game without knowing the status of Bengals' star Mike Henry. The oddsmakers have Geneseo winning by 4 points and they think Henry will be in the lineup. I think the Knights win on their home court by a 86-83 final score.   

Plattsburgh State  at Cortland State          7:30 PM   The Featured Game of the Week

The top 2 teams go at in Cortland with a possible 3 way tie for the top spot (since Brockport has already won today). The oddsmakers have made Cortland an 8 point favorite in this one. Both these teams can shoot the 3 pointer but Cortland is better at it than the Cardinals. Plattsburgh's chances will rely on its athleticism and the ability to switch to the shooter that the Cortland offense will try and set up for the long range bombs. The addition of Jon Patron to Plattsburgh's lineup the past 3 games has been enormous and I'm thinking that he could be a difference maker tonight. It will be a tough task to beat Cortland at home but I'm hoping Plattsburgh remembers the two whippings they got last year and exact a bit of revenge tonight.  Plattsburgh wins this one 86-83.     

magicman

Fredonia State  69  at  Brockport    State 71

Fredonia played like the Demons they are in the first half to lead Brockport by 24 points at the break 44-20. The Blue Devils forgot there are two halves though and they let Brockport do to them, what they did to Port, in the first half. The Golden Eagles got a big 2nd half from their Dynamic Duo of Hamed Shamseldin (15 points), and Justin Summers (11 points) to eke out the 2 point win. Shamseldin finished with 23 points to capture scoring honors. He added 5 assists, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. Summers finished with a double-double o 15 points and 11 rebounds. He also had 2 steals and 3 blocks to increase his conference leading block total to 40. Tyler Collins added 10 points.

Fredonia was led by Ian Helps with a double-double of 14 points and a game high 12 rebounds. Jon McDonald filled up the stat sheet with 13 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks and a steal. Kay Jackson had 12points, 3 rebounds and a pair of thefts.

magicman

Halftime score in Cortland

Plattsburgh State 37  Cortland State 37

No live stats, no play by play announcer. Really disappointed in the online coverage for the big game.  Can't tell who the leading scorers are but I think it's Eli Bryant and Jon Patron for Plattsburgh but no idea what their totals are. Don't have a clue for the Red Dragons. Can't tell the foul situation either.

Oswego State trails Potsdam State 42-37 at the break.

Dante Langly with 17 points and Jayquan Thomas with 10 for the Bears.

Ian Schupp with 11 and Josh Ivy 10 for the Lakers.

Geneseo leads Buffalo State 41-25 at the break.

Quinn Carey with 14 and Zack Panebianco with 11 for the Knights.

Sir. Quinton Campbell with 11 to lead the Bengals. Mike Henry is playing but I don't know how much as the live stats don't give that info. 

AllStar

Quote from: magicman on January 12, 2018, 06:03:47 PM
Nice article on New Paltz sharpshooter Nick Paquette on D3hoops front page today. Quite a comeback for this young man. Hope he continues to improve and puts one in the win column against this disease. Go Nick!   I'd like to meet him when he comes to Plattsburgh on February 17th.    Here's the link to the story:

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/east/2017-18/new-paltz-paquette

Great story!  Thank you for sharing!  Really rooting for him.

And congrats on a big win tonight, too!

magicman

Friday's final scores:

Fredonia State  69    Brockport State    71

Potsdam State  75    Oswego State   72

Plattsburgh State  80    Cortland State  78

Buffalo State  64    Geneseo State  81

magicman

Jan. 13   All 10 teams in action to day with 4 games at 3:00 PM and the nightcap at 7:00 PM in Fredonia.

Only time for some quick picks today with the snowstorm that hit the area taking up too much of my day.

New Paltz State  at  Oneonta State        3:00 PM

The Red Dragons are favored in this 2nd meeting of travel partners by an 11 point margin. The Hawks are coming off 2 conference losses and will look to get a 2nd win in the YAC.  THe Red Dragons will be too much to handle though as Oneonta wins this one by an 80-68 final score.

Potsdam State  at  Cortland State        3:00 PM

The Bears look to pull off their 2nd upset in a row. I don't think they have been 3 games over .500 in 13 or more years. Cortland after a tough loss yesterday won't be in any mood to lose at home on back to back day. The Bears are 19 point underdogs in this one and I think they'll have to wait a while longer to get to 3 games over .500.  Cortland wins this one 92-70.

Brockport State  at  Buffalo State        3:00 PM

The Bengals get their 2nd dose of Golden Eagleitis and it won't be any milder than the last case. Brockport is only favored by 7 points  but I think they win it by a little more. Port 88 Buffalo State 77.

Geneseo State  at   Fredonia State        7:00 PM

Geneseo already suffered an upset at the hands of New Paltz earlier in the season so they won't want to take the Blue Devils lightly despite the fact they are still winless in the YAC. Yesterday Fredonia showed they can play with anybody in the conference before falling to Brockport by 2 points. Today is another day however and the oddsmakers think that the Knights will win this one by 8 points. I think they in by a few more. Geneseo 83 Fredonia 68. 

Plattsburgh State  at  Oswego State        3:00 PM

Always a battle when these two teams tangle. Oswego has gotten the better of the Cardinals the last few years so, like last night against the Cortland red Dragons revenge will be on the minds of the players from Plattsburgh. 2 years ago a loss to Oswego in the semifinals of the YAC kept the Cardinals from another possible SUNYAC Championship and 3 years ago the Lakers beat the Cardinals in the finals of the YAC tournament that not only cost them the SUNYAC title but kept them out of the NCAA tournament when the committee didn't give the Cards an at large bid.

The Lakers, on the other hand, don't want to have a lost weekend and after getting upset by the Potsdam Bears last night, are looking at an 0-2 week and a possible drop all the way down to 7th place(if Potsdam were to upset Cortland).The Lakers have also lost 3 of their last 4 games and will be looking to turn that around as well.  Oswego, in somewhat of an aberration, only has 9 home games scheduled out of 25, during the regular season....the 9 YAC round robin games. The games they played this weekend are only the 2nd and 3rd time they have been home all year. All 7 of their non-conference games were played on the road or on a neutral court. 
The Lakers and Cards have split their most recent 10 meetings and last year they both won on the other team's home court. The Cardinals are on a 5 game winning streak, and are looking to stay hot with only 1 more weekend left on the road after this one. They end the season with their last five conference games at home, payback this year for having to play their final five games on the road last year.

The oddsmakers have made the Lakers a slim 2 point favorite in this game but I don't see it that way. I think the Cardinals will win this game and will do so by a final score of 83-76.       

magicman

Plattsburgh State leads Oswego State 45-30 at the half.

Jon Patron with 13 points and 6 rebounds to lead the Cardinals.

Eli Bryant and Eric Mack with 8 points each. Mack with 2 great dunks.

Chris Middleton had 7.

For Oswego  Tim Marshall had 7 points and Josh Ivey had 6.

magicman

Cortland leads Potsdam State 40-31 at the break. No live stats available to know who's doing the damage. With the school still not in session I'm assuming that's why they don't have that option.

All the team schedules on the D3hoops websites show the Brockport-Buff State game and the New Paltz-Oneonta game as starting at 3:00 PM. However the game in Buffalo is not until 7:30 PM and the game in Oneonta starts at 5:00 PM.

magicman

Final scores:

Plattsburgh State  89  Oswego State  76

Cortland State 75  Potsdam State 60

magicman

Plattsburgh State defeats Oswego State 89-75.

The final score was fairly close to my prediction of 83-76. The Lakers only missed my total for them by a point and the Cardinals got a few easy baskets toward the end of the game to make their score a few more than my crystal ball foretold.

The teams went through 4 ties and 7 lead changes in the first ten minutes of play until Plattsburgh finally opened up some daylight and went in front by double digits. Down 17-16, the Cards got a steal and a pass by Nick DeAngelis to Eric Mack for a nice dunk. Then after Oswego missed on their end, DeAngelis buried a threeball and the Lakers called a timeout. Oswego scored to make it 21-19 but the Cardinals would get another score from Mack, and a pair of three pointers from Eli Bryant, to make it 29-19 with 7:13 left in the period. Plattsburgh continued to build on that lead after the Lakers were only down, 32-26, by getting another dunk followed by a layup from Mack and then getting a pair of inside baskets from Jon Patron. A pair of free throws from Isaiah Hill and a three pointer from Chris Middleton had the cards in front 45-28 with 41 seconds remaining. Josh Ivey scored for Oswego to cut the lead to 15, 45-30 at the half.

A 7-2 start to open the 2nd period had the Cardinals in front by 20 after 2:16 had gone by and another DeAngelis 3 pointer gave Plattsburgh its largest lead of the game at 60-38 with 14:33 to play. Oswego managed to cut the deficit  several times to 12 points and then with just under 5 minutes to go got it back to single digits on a pair of layups by Liam Sanborn, that sandwiched a pair of free throws by the Lakers Ian Schupp. That made it 77-68 but it was their last hurrah as Eli Bryant hit a jumper, then stole the ball and scored on a drive to the hoop. Josh Ivey scored for Oswego, but Mack had another dunk on a feed from Patron and then Patron scored after Oswego missed and the lead was back to 15 at 85-70. With two minutes left it was time to light the cigar.

Jon Patron led all scorers and rebounders once again with a double-double of 27 points and 12 rebounds. He added 3 assists and a steal and shot 12x19 from the field. He had a double-double last night against Cortland in that Plattsburgh win and I think he's in prime position to win a 2nd SUNYAC Player of the Week award unless there are some pretty big games coming in tonight's contests by guys that had pretty good games last night. Plus Patron's efforts came against two of the top contenders for playoff spots including an unbeaten in the conference (at the time) Cortland.  And yes I'm shamelessly plugging my guy because I can (and because he scored 40 fantasy points tonight for me in my D3hoops fantasy league.)

Eli Bryant continues to play outstanding ball as he comes off the bench and delivers key baskets time after time. Last night he nails the winning basket against Cortland and tonight has a pair of 3 pointers that turned a 23-19 lead into a 29-19 point lead and the Lakers never recovered from that. A big turning point in the game in my opinion. Eli ended up with 18 points, 3 assists and 4 steals as he continues to come off the bench and average 19 points per game He was 7x11 tonight from the field and 2x4 from deep.

Eric Mack continues to thrill the Cardinal fans with his amazing ability to defy gravity. He is only 6'3" and is the 2nd leading shot blocker in the YAC. He scored 14 points in today's game going 6x8 from the field and 4 of those field goals were picture perfect dunks.

Chris Middleton and Nick DeAngelis both had 9 points. Middleton had 5 rebounds and DeAngelis had 4 assists.

The Cardinals led in almost every category, outshooting the Lakers from the field and from deep. Plattsburgh had 39 rebounds and 10 turnovers to 33 rebounds and 13 TO's for Oswego.

Oswego got 21 points from Liam Sanborn who added 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals He was 8x13 from the field and 2x3 from downtown.

Tyler Pierre had 14 points and a team high 7 rebounds while shooting 7x9 from the field.

Josh Ivey had 8 points and also tied for the team lead with 7 boards.  Tom Marshall had 9 points and 3 boards.

Plattsburgh has now won 6 in a row and is 9-4 overall. They are 7-1 in the conference and tied for first place with Cortland but they do hold the tiebreaker over them by virtue of their win in Cortand last night. They are off until next weekend when they will host Geneseo on Friday night at 7:30 PM followed by Brockport on Saturday afternoon at 3:00 PM.

Oswego State drops to 7-8 overall and 4-4 in the YAC. They are back in action on Tuesday Jan 16th when they host New Paltz at 7:30 PM.     

AllStar

Update...will probably try to post standings like I did last year sometime over the next few weeks.

By the way...magicman, I see your Cardinals are getting all of their road games out of the way now!

magicman

All of Saturday's final scores.

Brockport State  82    Buffalo State 75

Geneseo State 68  Fredonia State 52

Oneonta State 82   New Paltz State 72

Plattsburgh State  89  Oswego State  76

Cortland State 75  Potsdam State 60

magicman

Quote from: AllStar on January 13, 2018, 09:25:06 PM
Update...will probably try to post standings like I did last year sometime over the next few weeks.

By the way...magicman, I see your Cardinals are getting all of their road games out of the way now!

Hey AllStar,

Yes we are getting the away games over soon. We're reaping the benefits of last year's brutal schedule when we had to play our last 5 conference games on the road. This year the last 5 conference games are at home. With 5 of our 7 conference wins coming away from Plattsburgh  and only 3 road games left against the current 5th, 7th and 9th place teams we're in good shape coming into the 2nd half of our round robin. Should be an exciting finish in the YAC once again, as it usually is. I'm hopeful we can keep our losses to no more than a couple of games so we can still be in good shape for an at large bid should the conference crown prove elusive. Thanks for the graphs and standings. Your guys are still looking good as they remain unbeaten in league play. Looks like it will come down to the Owls or Eastern Connecticut. I like to see a rematch of our teams now that we have Jon Patron back. ;)     

Bengalsrule

Mama said that there would days like this, but she never warned me about weeks like this.  My BENGALS are in the midst of a struggle that I have seen since 2006. Youth is no excuse at 1300 Elmwood .  Not sure what it is but repeated stretches of zero/2 points while opponent gets 12/14 in a the same stretch , is killing us.

We have the talent but not sure of the heart across the board !  And I hate admitting that because over the past 13 years, "heart" has never been an issue.  Next stop is New Paltz where Buff Stare is probably 7-1 over the last 8 years. And that's no disrespect to the Hawks, however in a league where you have to finish at .500 to qualify for the playoffs, at 2-7 our backs are against the wall!  Can my BENGALS turn it around ( go 7-2 over the 2nd half is season?)? I believe that they can.

Go BENGALS!!

magicman

Jan. 16  Three games on the schedule today involving 5 teams from the YAC   

Oneonta State  at   Cortland State    6:00 PM

Getting to this one a little late since I've had nothing but car trouble today...again but I'll take the Cortland fire breathers to beat the Oneonta variety. Cortland favored by 7 points but I think they win by a few more. They won by 17 in Oneonta they win by 13 at home. Cortland 85 Oneonta 72.

Geneseo State  at   Hamilton        7:30 PM

The Knights travel to Clinton N.Y. take on the Continentals and are 14 point underdogs against the D3hoops 14th ranked team in the country. I think the ranking is a bit overated but Hamilton is a pretty good team and should get the better of the Knights in this one. I think Geneseo will cover that spread though. Hamilton 87 Geneseo 76. 

New Paltz State  at Oswego State    7:30 PM

The Lakers need a win in the worst way to stay ahead of Potsdam for the 6th and final playoff spot. The oddsmakers think they will get it as they are 8 point favorites in Max Ziel Gym. They have fallen from 4-1 to 4-4 and from a tie for 2nd into 6th place in the YAC. The Hawks will give them a battle even though they lost the last matchup by 15.  Oswego 79 New Paltz 69.