Pool C in 2016

Started by wally_wabash, October 13, 2016, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matblake

The problem with talking about comfortable is that it is a relative term.  Each person has a different view of what comfortable is.

art76

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 19, 2016, 05:21:27 PM
How did the at-larges do today?
Oshkosh won big
Wheaton won big
Mount Union won fairly comfortably
Hardin-Simmons lost to Linfield 24-10
St. John's won a tremendous ballgame over Platteville with a walk off 1-yard run. 

So 4-2, with one Pool C vs. Pool C game.

My gut tells me that only one Pool C team advances this next week - the winner of the St. John's - Oshkosh game.  I think Johns Hopkins and North Central will beat the other two Pool C teams, Mount Union and Wheaton, respectively.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

USee

So the two underdog road teams lose while only of of the two pool C teams who play each other will advance? That is a gutsy call!  8-)

art76

Quote from: USee on November 20, 2016, 09:31:09 AM
So the two underdog road teams lose while only of of the two pool C teams who play each other will advance? That is a gutsy call!  8-)

They don't call me "Mr. Obvious" for nothing!  :D

AUPepBand

Quote from: matblake on November 20, 2016, 08:34:30 AM
The problem with talking about comfortable is that it is a relative term.  Each person has a different view of what comfortable is.

Pep might have been "comfortable" yesterday with his Saxons leading 42-7 at halftime and Pep going home to take a nap, curled up on his comfy sofa with a comforter, listening to the second half on the radio.

Instead, Pep, at first sweating with just a tee-shirt while setting up for the band pre-game, donned first his sweatshirt then at halftime went to the car to add another jacket. Shortly thereafter, the band was forced to assemble the (not-so) EZ-Ups for the second half with every kind of precipitation imaginable pelting uncovered fans with gusts of wind, flying music stands, and, to top it off, a wind-aided 40+ yard ugly field goal with less than a minute to go that somehow went through to force OT...but not before the Saxons had a chance to win it in regulation on a field goal attempt that was turned back by that same wind.

Pep seldom feels comfortable. And Pep has never argued that his Saxons should be ranked higher. Quite frankly, Pep is slightly amused that d3football.com would label it the "Alfred Bracket" when Pep believes that Johns Hopkins may, in fact, be the highest seed. But a matter of geography landed the Saxons a home game with the Massachusetts champ, which is no chump. There's a reason the Bears won eight straight conference games. They played us better than any E8 opponents this season. Kudos to Bridgewater State.

It will be interesting to see whether the Saxons can pull it together this week, with Thanksgiving and all, to give Western New England (11-0) a fight in "The Pit."

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

art76

Still 3 Cs left in Oshkosh, Wheaton and Mount Union. While I may be "Mr. Obvious", it seems apparent that I obviously can't pick 'em.

wally_wabash

Oshkosh and Mount Union remain.  And with UMHB as an at-large team as well, only John Carroll remains of the field's 25 automatic qualifiers.  I don't know what that means, but it sounds interesting. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 03, 2016, 07:00:53 PM
Oshkosh and Mount Union remain.  And with UMHB as an at-large team as well, only John Carroll remains of the field's 25 automatic qualifiers.  I don't know what that means, but it sounds interesting.

I don't know any easy way to check it out (maybe one of the gurus will simply know), but I would think having only one AQ is the final four has got to be unprecedented.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 03, 2016, 07:23:07 PM

I don't know any easy way to check it out (maybe one of the gurus will simply know), but I would think having only one AQ is the final four has got to be unprecedented.
I cannot remember 3 at-larges in the semis.  +1 Wally!

art76

I was wondering about this myself last night at a Christmas Concert - yeah, kind of a dull moment when my mind wandered.  :)

art76

Pat will probably know, but when, if ever, have two "at large" teams played in the Stagg bowl?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: art76 on December 10, 2016, 09:20:06 PM
Pat will probably know, but when, if ever, have two "at large" teams played in the Stagg bowl?
I believe that PacLu and Rowan were both Pool B schools in 1999.***
PacLu 42-13

***Referencing the information found on the D3football.com website...