Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on September 07, 2018, 05:31:58 PM
PK to Oneonta. Kid made the most of it but it was a silly foul.

Silly foul and a VERY LAZY foul...That kid should get a chewin out after the game...Didn't even try to tackle him legitimately

PaulNewman

Quote from: blooter442 on September 07, 2018, 05:34:39 PM
Quote from: PaulNewman on September 07, 2018, 05:33:20 PM
Quote from: EB2319 on September 07, 2018, 04:59:31 PM
I don't understand this Oneonta keeper Giordanno. Appears to have been pretty highly touted coming out of high school.  Spends freshman year at Loyola, Sophomore year at Buffalo and then transfers yet again to Oneonta Junior year.  What's the end game here? Clearly soccer was/is his priority. To each their own I guess.

Maybe relevant to the spirit of D3 discussion???  The bouncing around that we see with some frequency in D3 for the apparent sole purpose of pursuing soccer "careers" seems quite germane.

To be fair I thought Buffalo and Loyola (MD) were D1 so maybe he figured out that D3 was a better fit?

Right, but still a lot of chasing around for soccer....and could be wrong, but seems even more common for GKs which I can understand a little better because even a really good GK can get stuck behind another one and never see the field (unlike field players).

In general, 3 or more transfers seems to underscore how much importance given to soccer.

Mr.Right

Great turn by Oneonta #4 at top of box and he lost defender but then skied it

stlawus

Moving Crouse from CB to striker paying dividends already. 

Mr.Right

Harmless long ball should have been easily cleared by Oneonta #15 who is a senior. He absolutely makes a hot mess out of that and SLU gets the 2nd goal. 2-0 SLU about 10 left...This is a big time win for SLU.

blooter442

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 07, 2018, 05:37:47 PM
Right, but still a lot of chasing around for soccer....and could be wrong, but seems even more common for GKs which I can understand a little better because even a really good GK can get stuck behind another one and never see the field (unlike field players).

In general, 3 or more transfers seems to underscore how much importance given to soccer.

Makes sense.

As an aside, when I decided to transfer, I was told, "this is it! You only get one!"

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 07, 2018, 05:43:48 PM
Harmless long ball should have been easily cleared by Oneonta #15 who is a senior. He absolutely makes a hot mess out of that and SLU gets the 2nd goal. 2-0 SLU about 10 left...This is a big time win for SLU.

Yeah clumsy mistake. I think he thought he had more time than he did. Big win indeed.

Ommadawn

Western Connecticut is having its way with Union so far, leading 3-1 at the half.

SandyMac

Big moment from Smith there, who I hope steps up and continues the tradition of SLU keepers having a strong senior year. Happy to see it.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Ommadawn on September 07, 2018, 05:47:44 PM
Western Connecticut is having its way with Union so far, leading 3-1 at the half.

Tough to watch for a former Union parent, when from ~ 2006-12, they were perennially in the top 2 or three in the league.  My son played in multiple LL championship games while he was there.  Looks like recruiting has fallen on tough times . . .

deutschfan

Union is a mess and SLU picks up what eluded the LL all last year--a quality preseason win.  I was particularly impressed with their patience and how everyone worked back on defense.  At the end of this weekend we should have a good gauge on most of the teams. 

Ejay

Maybe Oneonta is going to be down this year?  They're not off to a great start at 1-1-1, although their schedule is absolutely brutal.

Ommadawn

Quote from: EB2319 on September 07, 2018, 07:22:57 PM
Maybe Oneonta is going to be down this year?  They're not off to a great start at 1-1-1, although their schedule is absolutely brutal.

I've seen them twice so far this year (v SLU and Stevens) and my impression is that they seem to lack the spark they have had in recent years (of course SLU and Stevens might have had something to do with that!).  Coach Byrne always has a solid team, so I wouldn't write them off yet. 

stlawus

0-0 draw between SLU and Plattsburgh.  Very even game.  SLU had the better first half and Plattsburgh the better 2nd half.  SLU had a chance or two in extra time but a 0-0 draw is a fair result.  I'm surprised Plattsburgh has only won 1 game, they look solid.

Saint of Old

I expected a tough game today from Plattsburgh.
After yesturdays defeat to UMASS, I knew they would play this game to win.

That's the tough thing I think for coaches is not getting consistent effort from players.

A big part of winning is playing each and every game just as hard.

Had Plattsburgh put the same effort in, they would be in much better shape now.
Hopefully this is a turnaround point in their season.

As for SLU, they had a good weekend, but disappointed I'm sure not to win the game.

The SUNYAC will be tough this year.

Next up for St. Lawrence is Cortland, so it doesn't get easier.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Saint of Old on September 08, 2018, 03:35:47 PM
I expected a tough game today from Plattsburgh.
After yesturdays defeat to UMASS, I knew they would play this game to win.

That's the tough thing I think for coaches is not getting consistent effort from players.

A big part of winning is playing each and every game just as hard.

Had Plattsburgh put the same effort in, they would be in much better shape now.
Hopefully this is a turnaround point in their season.

As for SLU, they had a good weekend, but disappointed I'm sure not to win the game.

The SUNYAC will be tough this year.

Next up for St. Lawrence is Cortland, so it doesn't get easier.

AMEN.....Consistent efforts game to game is KEY