FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Back from the beach....ran out of money spoiling the family members...especially the grand kid.....she better win a scholarship! :)
On the computer....still adjusting to my wife's tablet so I will apologize now for all my mistakes.
Thanks guys for the nice review of the Amherst preliminary roster and all.  Two comments......did anticipate L. Lewis' return as he was getting some Pro looks before his injuries. 
Nice pick-up on the talent of DB Spears, NESCAC1.  Spoke to him and his family after the Williams game.  BB HC Nixon commented to me that he has talent.  At present there is at least 4 football players that are good basketball players, including Lewis.
I agree that Silvia may have made a late choice not to come out....maybe woking on a possible senior year honors thesis.
The Arizona State transfer maybe an military veteran since there has been a number of veterans showing interest in Amherst.....due to a scholarship fund specifically set up for the purpose.  The class of 2017 does have a student that is 33 years old and has 14 transfer students.  Amherst recruits heavily among the junior colleges for talented kids....funded by a large grant from the Cooke Foundation...yes the former owner of the NFL Redskins.
Forgot to add...Williams' preliminary roster is out on its website.

fulbakdad

Kudos to Ahmerst for the military scholorships!

gridiron

Kudos should instead go to the foundation providing the funding....

amh63

Gridiron....the endowned scholarship fund comes from donors, mainly alums.  The foundation funds are for searching the community colleges nationwide for talented students in general.  Scholarship funds for the students that need it...are from Amherst's endowment.  The two funds do intersect in meeting Amherst's diversity goals.
Bates has posted it's 2013 roster...freshmen included...and has posted it's team's season preview.  I counted a roster of 70 players.  There are a large number of "SLOT" designated players among the new players.

frank uible

What is the approximate total number of community college/junior college students enrolled at Amherst at any point in time?

amh63

Frank U....do not know really.  Cannot distinguish among the transfer students really.  Assuming they all come from junior colleges, there were 13 in the class of '16, and now 14 in the class of '17...then a ROM would be 50-60 students. 
Amherst has opened it's doors to  local western MA and NE CC people since the 80's and married "students" entered...some that had families and had started businesses...all who wanted to get a college degree.
It gets a little complicated in that some of the CC students maybe included as FY 's.  I remembered the Admission Dean remarking that he was suggesting to two veterans to go to a CC for a time before coming to Amherst...as a FY maybe.
The former College Prez remarked that over 50 percent of the most talented students in the country are enrolled in local community colleges.  Amherst wants to tap that pool of talent.  Like Williams, Amherst has the funds to bring those students in....whether they come in as transfers or as FY's is the unknown.
Maybe, I will look into the records if you want more specifics.

Jonny Utah

Am I missing something here?

Amherst College accepts dozens of Community College and Junior College transfers a year and many of them play football?

That doesn't add up to me.

amh63

Sorry...Jonny...my last several posts wrt to transfers are dealing with general students.  Off football really.  Guess it started with the "Arizona State" transfer on the roster...then NESCAC 1's comment about two other talented football players recently.  It got confusing when I mentioned the possibility of maybe the present player being a veteran and it became more and more off topic.  My last post was responding to Frank's question...I hope.
Been too cheap so far this  season to buy the D3 football preview...awaiting the Amherst preview, etc.
My first live game is planned for Clinton NY..against Hamilton.  Plans in place to be at Homecoming to see the new field and the Wesleyan game.  Trip to Williamstown?...long shot !!

AlDavis

Quote from: AlDavis on August 07, 2013, 06:54:26 PM
Quote from: tufts on July 29, 2013, 01:59:02 PM
Week One Offshore Opening Lines ( For Entertainment Purposes Only)

Trinity        - 5 1/2
Bates          54

Amherst     - 11 1/2
Hamilton      50

Middlebury   - 16 1/2
Bowdoin       49

Williams        - 10
Colby            48 1/2

Tufts             54
Wesleyan     - 17

4 Road Favorites.... some respect on Bates.....is it true that Tufts -Wesleyan game starts at 6:00 pm......Colby could be a sleeper Dog week 1.

after some early action and small tidbits of inside information these are updated lines ( for entertainment purposes only)

Trinity          - 6 1/2
Bates             53 1/2

Amherst        - 12
Hamilton         49 1/2

Middlebury      - 16
Bowdoin          49 1/2

Williams         - 9 1/2
Colby               49

Tufts                54 1/2
Wesleyan        - 16 1/2

what a weekend....strait cash
updated NESCAC lines.....any input....only Bates and Wesleyan have full rosters posted ....Wesleyan is not fooling around with their incoming class.

Trinity             - 8
Bates               52 1/2

Amherst          - 13
Hamilton           50

Middlebury       - 16 1/2
Bowdoin            49

Williams            - 10
Colby                 49 1/2

Tufts                  54
Wesleyan           - 17 1/2

AlDavis

Quote from: AlDavis on August 09, 2013, 12:05:55 PM
2013 Win Totals

Middlebury   8        under - 130
Wesleyan     7 1/2  under - 115
Trinity         6 1/2   over -130
Amherst      5 1/2   under - 115
Williams       4        over - 115
Bates           4        under - 125
Bowdoin       3       under - 115
Colby           1 1/2  over  - 120
Tufts             1      over - 120
Hamilton       1/2   over - 130

Middlebury      7      under - 120
Trinity            7      under  - 130
Wesleyan        7      under  - 145
Amherst         6       over  - 130
Wiiliams        4 1/2  under - 115
Bates             4       under - 130
Bowdoin        2 1/2   over  - 125
Colby            1 1/2   over  - 135
Tufts              1/2    over   - 130
Hamilton        1/2    over   - 125

Propositions:  Both Middlebury and Wesleyan 8 - 0      15 to 1
                     Both  Tufts and Hamilton 0 - 8              8  to 1
                     3 Way Tie for First at  7 - 1 by anyone   18 to 1

AlDavis

.....Forgot the funnest Prop Bet.....Middlebury and Wesleyan 8 - 0 /  Tufts and Hamilton 0 - 8.......now that juicy Daily Double pays at 35 to 1.

frank uible

The Smart Money at Mayfield Road and Murray Hill says that Daily Double should go off at 75-1.

2sportdevil

The Hill isn't what it used to be. If anyone takes bets there, it is off campus undergrad Spartans

frank uible

Bring back Shondor Birns!

lumbercat

Al Davis-
As always your lines are great fun- thanks for posting them.

In terms of your comment on Wes recruiting I beg to differ. I think Cards bring in 22. While I only have detailed scouting info on some of them I think it's a step back for the Cardinals in comparison with Whalens first 2 years. You heard it here first but I believe they gave the Whale a little too much leeway when he came in to rebuild the program. He did well with RB Drew who, if healthy, will rival Bunker as the top back in the NESCAC. However, he reached too high with a couple of kids who will bolt Middletown for D1 venues and others who will leave the program due to academic issues --some red faces in Wes admissions.

The aggressive recruiting class looks like Bates.....many of the kids they landed grade very
high per NE recruiting sources and from what we can summize they kept the academic bar high to the delight of their new Pres. Bates has expanded their athletic resources to include additions to their Football staff and Sports Information Departments- they are upgrading Football and Athletics in general.

Waiting for more info on Bowdoin and Colby- had preliminary info on Colby but it appears they lost some recruits last minute...early feedback is a strong year at Bowdoin with
detail to follow.... Colby may be sruggling with admissions knee jerk on the heels of the scandal.