Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSC85

Does the loss by Salisbury this past weekend really hurt the playoff chances?  Does it require them to run the table the rest of the season?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HSC85 on September 15, 2009, 12:08:38 PM
Does the loss by Salisbury this past weekend really hurt the playoff chances?  Does it require them to run the table the rest of the season?
IMHO, I think that a second Salisbury loss puts them on the bubble.

A undefeated UMAC team or even a 1-loss UAA team could make a good case over a Salisbury team with 2 in-region losses.

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: HSC85 on September 15, 2009, 12:08:38 PM
Does the loss by Salisbury this past weekend really hurt the playoff chances?  Does it require them to run the table the rest of the season?

If Wesley and H-SC are regionally ranked, then a win against one or both of them will help Salisbury. But Salisbury has only five in-region games all year, so with a loss to another in-region team, well, counting them on the "bubble" may be generous.

It would help Salisbury if St. John Fisher were also ranked in its region, but it doesn't factor as strongly with the NCAA as Wesley's and Hampden-Sydney's potential rankings would.
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

HSC85

I would think that Salisbury, if they win on Saturday, would really hope that CNU runs the table because they would be highly ranked at 8-2 with the only losses to Wesley and Salisbury.

Ryan Tipps

Yeah, that too. I overlooked CNU when typing up my post. The Captains making the regional rankings would help the Gulls.
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

PA_wesleyfan

If Salisbury beats CNU by a wide margin then what does that say for the for the USA conference if CNU runs the table easily? And CNU still has Wilkes before they start the conference schedule. Add to that the fact that not a word has been about Tunde's injury!!!They could make the playoffs and conceivably not be ranked in the south. I think there may be one or two teams in  the USA who may give CNU a run for the tiltle.

Salisbury still has games @Wesley and @ H-SU along with Union and St John Fisher. I know those N.Y games aren't suppose to count but with only five in region games I would think they would have to run the south and win at least one of those games with  a two loss season to even have a chance at a spot in the payoffs.
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 10, 2009, 11:28:08 PM
Quote from: altor on September 10, 2009, 11:07:16 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 10, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
I see the current Pool B as being comprised of these schools.
Ralph, have you seen the 2009 championship handbook, yet?  I'm guessing by the way you worded this sentence that you haven't either.  Either the NCAA hasn't released it yet or my Google-fu is extremely weak on this subject.

No, I haven't seen the Handbook.  

Those are my best guesses about Pool B.   :)

Thanks for the response.  When you see the first release of the Handbook, please post the link for all of us.  +1!  

I appreciate how Pat Coleman keeps these message boards and our discussions as an ongoing think tank and archive as to what is happening in D-III for our deliberations.

Usually comes out midway through the season, doesn't it? Late Sept. or early Oct.?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on September 15, 2009, 05:04:30 PM
If Salisbury beats CNU by a wide margin then what does that say for the for the USA conference if CNU runs the table easily?

That Salisbury is better than all the teams in the USA South. Which, based on past seasons, is not really a stretch.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

HSC85

The other side of the arguement is what does it say if CNU beats Salisbury on Sat?  It would definitely show some improvement at the top of the conference if two USA South teams beat Salisbury in the same year. 

K-Mack

Quote from: HSC85 on September 17, 2009, 08:51:37 PM
The other side of the arguement is what does it say if CNU beats Salisbury on Sat?  It would definitely show some improvement at the top of the conference if two USA South teams beat Salisbury in the same year. 

Or maybe it just means Salisbury is down.

This is the problem with a lot of these arguments. You can look at them five different ways and not come up with anything definitive, at least not until later in teh season.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

PA_wesleyfan

k-mack

I was answering HSU85 question about .. I agree with you about needing more data to decide who the better teams are.. I will  get a better feel on Wesley this week at Del Val  and seeig how CNU bounces back.   But if both Sheahin for SU and Tunde for CNU are out that changes the dynamics of that game.
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

HSC85

Is there any word on the injuries of those to players?  Does the selection committee take into account losses that may occur when a key player misses a game due to injury?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HSC85 on September 18, 2009, 08:13:40 AM
Is there any word on the injuries of those to players?  Does the selection committee take into account losses that may occur when a key player misses a game due to injury?
I have never heard a selection committee factoring player injuries into the deliberations.

DutchFan2004

I doubt they would ever get into those weeds.  How would they know after the last game who came out of it healthy?  You can't pick a team because they are now healthy or pick a team cause they should have been there if their star player only would have been there.  Injuries are part of the game. 
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: DutchFan2004 on September 19, 2009, 09:36:34 PM

I doubt they would ever get into those weeds.  How would they know after the last game who came out of it healthy?  You can't pick a team because they are now healthy or pick a team cause they should have been there if their star player only would have been there.  Injuries are part of the game. 

Plus it can leave 'permanent' scars - some of us are still steamed about the selection process in 1973! >:(

Michigan and Ohio State (both undefeated, untied) played to a 10-10 tie.  Michigan dominated statistically, but star qb Dennis Franklin was injured in the game.  The Big Ten coaches narrowly voted to send OSU to the Rose Bowl.  Since the Big Ten did not then allow teams to participate in any other bowl game, Michigan's season was over after going 10-0-1!

The really aggravating thing is that Franklin was 100% healthy by Thanksgiving, much less New Year's.  (When it became known that Michigan State cast one of the OSU votes, I suspect it added about two TDs to UM's margin over the Sparties for at least a decade! ;))