Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: smedindy on October 13, 2007, 09:18:38 PM
If Case wins out, will that be enough?
Yes, for one of the Pool B's.

How do you refuse a bid to an undefeated team?  What else could the team do?

ADL70

Especially since that would mean wins over a team that was in the Top 25 earlier (CMU) and a team (WUStL) that beat a Top 25 team (NCC), which came close against a Top 5 team (Wheaton).

Since the MIAA leaders have 3 losses each, the Spartans could even be a 7 seed not an 8.  Capital or Wheaton instead of MUC?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

smedindy

I know, but the NCAA isn't obligated though.

I can see them taking Wesley / Salisbury / PLU as "B's". But yeah, I guess Case would be a pretty sure "C" perhaps.

If I amend that question, would a one loss UAA team make it in "B"? "C"? Or would they THEN be SOL?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: smedindy on October 13, 2007, 10:24:32 PM
I know, but the NCAA isn't obligated though.

I can see them taking Wesley / Salisbury / PLU as "B's". But yeah, I guess Case would be a pretty sure "C" perhaps.

If I amend that question, would a one loss UAA team make it in "B"? "C"? Or would they THEN be SOL?
That is when we get to look at the impact of the OOWP and OWP.

Bob.Gregg

Team (record/regional record)
Remaining Schedule (Regional Games in Bold)

1.  Salisbury (7-0/5-0)  including win over Christopher Newport (35-21)
Becker
At Wesley
Frostburg State

2.  Case Western Reserve (6-0/5-0)
St. Vincent
At Chicago
Washington (MO)
Ohio Wesleyan

3.  Whitworth (5-1/5-1) including win over Pac.Lutheran (28-21), Loss to Redlands, 24-12
At Azusa Pacific (non-NCAA)
At Willamette
Linfield
At Puget South

4.  Wesley (6-1/5-1) including win over Delaware Valley (24-21), Loss to Montclair State (27-26)
At Brockport State
Salisbury
At Morrisville State

5.  Pacific Lutheran (5-1/5-1) Loss to Whitworth, 28-21
At Linfield
Lewis & Clark
Willamette

6.  Washington (6-1/6-1) including win over North Central (16-13), Loss to Wheaton (55-14)
At Carnegie-Mellon
At Case Western Reserve
At Greenville

7.  Linfield (3-2/2-1) Loss to Willamette, 33-32, Loss to Western Ore., 32-20
Pacific Lutheran
At Menlo
At Whitworth
Lewis & Clark

Bubble (Need lots of help):
Husson (5-2)
Martin Luther (5-2)
Rockford (5-2)

Bubble at best:
Chicago (3-2/3-2) Loss to Elmhurst, 36-13, loss to Washington (MO) 31-10
Carnegie-Mellon
Case Western Reserve
At Northwestern (MN)
Eureka

Willamette (2-4/2-2) Loss to Gustavus Adolphus, 34-25, Loss to Puget Sound, 13-7, Loss Western Oregon, 23-9 (non-DIII), Loss to Southern Oregon, 34-27 (non-NCAA)
At Menlo
Whitworth
At Lewis & Clark
Pacific Lutheran
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

ADL70

IMHO WUStL with only a loss to Wheaton could still be a B or C if they win out.

Yes I know how much geography can mean to the NCAA.  Hence "could" not "should."  Short bus ride from Cleveland to Allaince.

I really don't want to think too much about that until after 11-3.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Pat Coleman

Quote from: cwru70 on October 13, 2007, 10:19:38 PM
over a team that was in the Top 25 earlier (CMU)

This isn't overly relevant to anything, and certainly not to the selection committee.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ADL70

True, and CMU's schedule only slightly helps the OOWP.  At least as I understand that computation.

And wouldn't an undefeated team be refused a B bid if it comes down to more than three teams with in-region undefeated records?  But I figure that if that happened they would fare well in Pool C where it is unlikely any teams would have undefeatead in-region records (The exception being undefeated conf co-champs).
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

religion_major

Quote from: cwru70 on October 14, 2007, 08:49:44 AM
True, and CMU's schedule only slightly helps the OOWP.  At least as I understand that computation.

And wouldn't an undefeated team be refused a B bid if it comes down to more than three teams with in-region undefeated records?  But I figure that if that happened they would fare well in Pool C where it is unlikely any teams would have undefeatead in-region records (The exception being undefeated conf co-champs).

I think in that case the overall undefeated team would get the nod on secondary criteria (total d3 record) unless their OWP and OOWP were significantly worse than the team with a loss out of region.

Bob.Gregg

Let's be clear about, and finished with, this:

IF THIS Case Western Reserve University team wins out, they get one of the three Pool B bids.

Unless I'm missing something significant...

Bob.Gregg

Pool B Impact Games this week:
1.  Salisbury (7-0/5-0) vs. Becker (1-5)

2.  Case Western Reserve (6-0/5-0) vs. St. Vincent (0-6)

3.  Whitworth (5-1/5-1) at Azusa Pacific (non-NCAA) (3-5)

4.  Wesley (6-1/5-1) at Brockport State (3-3)

5.  Pacific Lutheran (5-1/5-1) at 7.  Linfield (3-2/2-1)

Bubble (Need lots of help):
Husson (5-2) at Alfred (6-0)

Martin Luther (5-2) at Rockford (5-2)

Bubble at best:
Chicago (3-2/3-2) vs. Carnegie-Mellon (2-4)

Willamette (2-4/2-2) at Menlo (1-6)

K-Mack

Quote from: d-train on October 08, 2007, 11:49:05 AM
Quote from: repete on October 08, 2007, 11:30:57 AM
Last weekend really seemed to alter the West landscape quite a bit ...with the noteable exception of the NWC.

--WIAC carnage has started (with UWW above the fray). UWLX probably blew its season but will have a lot to say in whether the league gets a 2nd team in. I'm guessing a 2nd team might not work out. Life is tough and so is the WIAC ... (although there were some interesting comments by John O'Grady about UWW/SJU last weekend ...)

--If SJU and St. Olaf win out, it would be pretty hard to deny the Oles a spot. Bethel's stinker vs. BVU  means the Royals need to win out or get an unlikely combination of other Ole/Johnnie losses. The league's in pretty good shape for 2nd team, if Oles get it done but it's tough to see any 2-loss team getting in without the AQ.

-- IIAC could very well come down to last week of the season and if Wartburg loses that loss to the Auggies could sink them and leave Central as the lone rep.

--In the SCIAC, Oxy established itself as favorite but Cal Lutheran could shake up league. Will two teams come from here? Is Redlands a candidate if it wins out but misses the AQ?

Am I on the right path here?

I normally wouldn't think of the SCIAC as a likely two-bid conference. But an 8-1 (well...7-1 vs. D3) Redlands team with a win at Whitworth could be fairly attractive (depending on the rest of the Pool C field, obviously). I would imagine that the Pirates final position in the NWC standings (or Regional Rankings) will impact the Bulldogs to some degree.

I agree with both of you for the most part.

Redlands' win over Whitworth not only gives them a nod over Whitworth if they are battling for the same spot, but it would be a huge help in the playoff criteria wins over regionally-ranked oppoents, if the Pirates stay regionally ranked.

Agree that two Ls in Pool C is going to be tough. Agree about Bethel and UW-Lax and maybe Wartburg blowing their chances with bad losses.

And this commentary is all a week old, isn't it?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: repete on October 08, 2007, 02:43:19 PM
Yeah, Bob, I know. At times, these discussions muddle together.

I was reacting to KMack's note about possible multiple spots for  the IIAC, WIAC and MIAC. The discussion got sidetracked a bit before I came along... and ought to be in the Pool C talk.

Yeah!

(Even though Bob is right, since it's my fault we got sidetracked, I have to get repete's back)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on October 10, 2007, 11:35:19 AM
d-train,

You're thoughts on Willamette are right on.  They are part of the "rest of my list" (that's part of the reason I didn't do this until after 10/15 last year).

Willamette (2-3/2-1) Loss to Gustavus Adolphus, 34-25, Loss Western Oregon, 23-9 (non-DIII), Loss to Southern Oregon, 34-27 (non-NCAA)
At Puget Sound
At Menlo
Whitworth
At Lewis & Clark
Pacific Lutheran

The thing about the non-division Ls is that they don't hurt, but they also don't help, and it looks like they could've used a couple more wins over D3s with decent records to offset L&C, Menlo and Gustavus, who all look like they will be hurting them in OWP and OOWP.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

repete

Thanks!

.... although it's not like I've never headed off on detours all of my own making  :)