Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonroviaCat

And the Linfield team you saw then has improved greatly (especially on Defense) since that game.  If they beat Whitworth this week (and Lewis and Clark the following week) and don't make the play-offs....well, it will be a real shame for Linfield and for the D3-playoffs.
Go Cats!

Ralph Turner

K-Mack,  You ask a good question.

If Muhlenberg goes undefeated, I think that they get a home game.

That makes them at least a #4 seed.

I will need to re-think this.

bluenote

Quote from: K-Mack on October 29, 2007, 01:44:18 AM

Also, you know, the NWC team is still treading on thin ice, I don't think they're guaranteed a spot at all unless Case loses.

K-Mack....I was thinking with Salisbury loosing to Wesley and being second in their league (for the time being) and them only having 5 total regional wins, the NWC Champ would overtake them if they both won out. Linfield would have 6 region wins and Whitworth would have 8. Case also has 2 fairly tough games ahead so we'll see how it pans out.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: MonroviaCat on October 29, 2007, 09:08:53 AM
And the Linfield team you saw then has improved greatly (especially on Defense) since that game. 

Or they haven't played an offense as good as Hardin-Simmons' since.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2007, 03:06:11 PM
Quote from: MonroviaCat on October 29, 2007, 09:08:53 AM
And the Linfield team you saw then has improved greatly (especially on Defense) since that game. 

Or they haven't played an offense as good as Hardin-Simmons' since.
No doubt Pat.  Though I will point out the shut-out against PLU which was putting up big scores (granted against a lot of not great teams) and scored 21 off Whitworth who is supposed to be strong on Defense.  But I'm sure your right.  And since Linfield has scored more points than any other team against HSU they must be the best Offense that the Cowboys have faced.   :P
Go Cats!

Pat Coleman

Only because they needed to score that many to win. I feel confident that UMHB could've scored a second touchdown in the fourth quarter if necessary, but when holding HSU to 14 there wasn't much need for more than 47 points.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pirat

Is there criteria other than the "Evaluation Regions"(Appendix C) used by the NCAA to determine a regional opponent?  If so where can I find that criteria in the NCAA guidebook?

Pat Coleman

Pirat

K-Mack

Quote from: bluenote on October 29, 2007, 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on October 29, 2007, 01:44:18 AM

Also, you know, the NWC team is still treading on thin ice, I don't think they're guaranteed a spot at all unless Case loses.

K-Mack....I was thinking with Salisbury loosing to Wesley and being second in their league (for the time being) and them only having 5 total regional wins, the NWC Champ would overtake them if they both won out. Linfield would have 6 region wins and Whitworth would have 8. Case also has 2 fairly tough games ahead so we'll see how it pans out.

Well bluenote,
I wish I had better news for you, as Linfield in the playoffs (or Whitworth) is always a fun deal. The NWC has been good for D3.

But Salisbury has a couple good things going for it besides regional wins. Their standing in the ACFC is not a factor in playoff selection.

I think I might have said on this board (or another) yesterday that the 'results against regionally-ranked teams' criteria may have applied to teams ranked within a team's same region.

But it would also make sense if it were referring to any regionally-ranked team, which means Salisbury holds a nice ace in the hole if Albright keeps on winning and/or wins the MAC. The Gulls beat them 42-12 on opening day.

That and the Wesley game would give them a 1-1 record vs. teams who show up in regional rankings. Linfield or Whitworth would have a 1-0 record if the other team remained in the West rankings, which might not happen. THey might be 0-0. Hardin-Simmons or Christopher Newport could sneak into the bottom of the South rankings, which could help either team, but I doubt it.

Salisbury also played Delaware Valley, which was No. 10 in the South last week.

Just going by last week, Salisbury would be 2-1 against regionally-ranked opponents. Linfield shows up at No. 9 in the West, so if they beat Whitworth, they would be 0-0.

I know the meat of the Gulls schedule has three, maybe four, teams that don't qualify as regional wins in NNA (non-D3), Geneva, Morrisville (first- and second-year provisional) and Becker ... but my guess is that not losing any of those games and doing what they did against the two MAC leaders and Wesley should benefit them enough to get 'em in.

I'm just speculating off the top of the head though, you might well be right. I just don't see why.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

gordonmann

Pat can correct me if I'm recalling incorrectly, but I think we interpret "results against regionally-ranked teams" to include all ranked teams, regardless of which one they are ranked in.  So Salisbury's wins against Del Val and Albright would count in that criteria.

The regional rankings will obviously change this week.  You could see Widener (which helps Wesley) or Montclair State (which hurts Wesley) added.

Pat Coleman

Results against teams ranked in any region.

Becker is a regional game for Salisbury.

bluenote

Something is a little strange when Case Western Reserve at 8-0 is supposedly one of the top Pool B teams. They hung 35 on Chicago last week. Well,  Lewis and Clark scored 27 on Chicago a few weeks back. What does that tell you?    ::)

Pat Coleman

That comparing half of a score is fairly useless.

Bob.Gregg

Quote from: bluenote on October 31, 2007, 12:10:51 AM
Something is a little strange when Case Western Reserve at 8-0 is supposedly one of the top Pool B teams. They hung 35 on Chicago last week. Well,  Lewis and Clark scored 27 on Chicago a few weeks back. What does that tell you?    ::)

Ah, you can recognize the fans from a mile away....

Let's run down the opponent, just in case it might help our case.

Linfield won't be helped at all by Lewis & Clark scoring 27 on Chicago a few weeks back. 

Why?  Because Chicago scored 57 in the same game.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.