Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

I'm not willing to look it up, 'cause I'm sure someone here will remember - didn't we just last year have a situation of # of pool B bids changed in basketball LATE in the season?

Who ARE these guys (and didn't they go to college)? :D

Ralph Turner

Quote from: redswarm81 on October 03, 2008, 09:55:01 PM

• What does the NCAA gain by shrouding its bid calculation process in secrecy?  I can understand the desire to keep the selection committee's negotiations private, but teams really ought to know how their path to selection is defined.
    I think that Pat Coleman can get that information for us and give it to us in one of the podcasts.  ;)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 03, 2008, 10:00:29 PM
    I'm not willing to look it up, 'cause I'm sure someone here will remember - didn't we just last year have a situation of # of pool B bids changed in basketball LATE in the season?

Who ARE these guys (and didn't they go to college)? :D
    Yeah, some D-1 school!   :D

Pat Coleman

If Neb Wesleyan has declared for the NAIA, wouldn't they have to tell somebody?

Kind of the other way around. Nebraska Wesleyan always declares NAIA in football.
    Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
    Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 03, 2008, 10:33:35 PM
    If Neb Wesleyan has declared for the NAIA, wouldn't they have to tell somebody?

Kind of the other way around. Nebraska Wesleyan always declares NAIA in football.
    Okay, I guess that this is the way that the calculation for 2 Pool B bids was derived.   :)

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 03, 2008, 09:39:42 PM
    redswarm81,

I recalculated Pool B with an access ratio of 1:9 (23 conferences of 197 teams plus the 10 NESCAC teams, even tho' the conference does not take the bid.  207 divided by 23 = 9.00)

If Neb Wesleyan has declared for the NAIA, then that gives 26 teams and 2 bids.

If that is the way that the calculation has been done in previous years, then no one "in the know" would complain.

Mr. Ypsi

IF that is indeed the basis for their determination, they may want to reword the Handbook: "nearest whole number" for their example (5.61) is 6, not 5.  For the present case it would be 3, not 2.  Perhaps they should just drop "nearest" and say "truncated to the (last) whole number"?  Thus even 2.91 = 2! ;D

I wonder if we'll see an 8th week change in the pool B allotment? ;)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 03, 2008, 11:22:58 PM
    IF that is indeed the basis for their determination, they may want to reword the Handbook: "nearest whole number" for their example (5.61) is 6, not 5.  For the present case it would be 3, not 2.  Perhaps they should just drop "nearest" and say "truncated to the (last) whole number"?  Thus even 2.91 = 2! ;D

Well, we heard it here first!   :D

redswarm81

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 03, 2008, 11:22:58 PM

Pool B = (number of independents and non-qualifying conference members) divided
    by (the access ratio for Pool A) - with the result truncated to the nearest whole number
    (e.g., 5.61 truncates to 5).

It rankles, but they have used the term "truncate" accurately.  Truncating necessarily requires reducing the result.  It's clear that they would be comfortable with 2 Pool B bids if the calculation produced a result of 2.99.

(In full NCAA Rules geek mode now) Since the process is truncation, the nearest whole number is necessarily the last whole number.

Ultimately, applying Occam's Razor, I would have to figure that  innumeracy is a likelier explanation than that "stand on one foot, pat your head and rub your tummy" calculation that Ralph has constructed.  If arithmetic illiteracy is indeed the answer, then surely there ought to be a change in the Pool B allotment at some point.
    Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

Ralph Turner

Updated for October 4th.

Okay!  Fourth weekend!

The Pool B teams will come from the UAA, the Independents, the SLIAC, the ACFC and the UMAC.

Taking a stab at this point (and reading that there will be three two bids in the Handbook)...

Wash StL  Loses at Rhodes 10-28  Bad loss to a mid-rung SCAC team.
    Salisbury/Wesley winner  Salisbury wins 48-17 over NNA; Wesley wins 38-6 over Frostburg St.
    CWRU (great chance to post a strong in-region record and OWP and OOWP.  (Opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage)  Playing Denison today.

On the radar screen...
    Huntingdon/LaGrange winner.  Both teams won their SLIAC games.
    Northwestern MN  Plays Macalester tonight

Ron Boerger

CWRU defeated Denison, 45-17.

Bob.Gregg

Just wondering, what's "Pool B"????

j/k
    Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
    HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
    Think beyond the possible.
    Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

AO

Northwestern over Macalester 49-13

Is it safe to say Northwestern is now a contender for a bid?

Pat Coleman

Not really, not with only two bids available.
    Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
    Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: AO on October 06, 2008, 01:26:22 PM
    Northwestern over Macalester 49-13

Is it safe to say Northwestern is now a contender for a bid?
    Unfortunately, no.

IMHO, they are the new kids on the block!

Simpson is a bad loss.  Pool B just lost a bid.  They needed to run the table as Huntingdon needs to.

I will assume that an "ODAC-Champion" H-SC is regionally ranked when Huntingdon plays them.  If Huntingdon runs the table, and has a win over a regionally ranked team, then they are on the table somewhere when Pool B is being considered.  :)