FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogershastogo

Is it true that Fitchburg takes all other schools dropout? I was told this. Is this true?  Most Jocks who can not make other schools requirements end up there.  Please tell me I'm not wrong!

Pat Coleman

Curious -- how many usernames do you need? You have four now.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

way to go Pat!!! come on, what are the stats? (names)

ctforce

Quote from: rogershastogo on November 08, 2005, 07:36:58 PM
Is it true that Fitchburg takes all other schools dropout? I was told this. Is this true?  Most Jocks who can not make other schools requirements end up there.  Please tell me I'm not wrong!

Yes, you are wrong!  I know people (athletes) who have been turned away because the did not meet the transfer or freshman entrance requirements.  I also know of many athletes who no longer play because they didn't keep their grades at a level to be eligible.  As a state school, they adhere to their admission requirements and do not take athletes just because they are an athlete.  There may be an isolated case were there is an execption granted to an athlete, where the pats academics are taken into consideration, not juts being an athlete.   Hey, imagine that!  Education being placed just as high if not higher than the athletics!  Sounds like they'r e doinf the right thing here.  I certainly would take a look at the private schools (Curry) who can manipualte any and all requirements for athletes and seem to have the uncanny ability to recue the tuition with some very unique 'grants'.

ctforce

OK, now on the transfer situation at Fitchburg.    I know there is a group of players that came to Fitchburg from UMASS Lowell when that program was dropped.  I know one of the players that HerbTuck89 referenced transferred from a higher level program because first, he changed his major and Fitchburg had a strong program in his current major and second, even though he would have initially been a role player and a major contributor by his senior year, he wanted to go to program where he could contribute, get a good education, and enjoy the whole experience.  Plus, the head coach that recruited him, left for a better job in 1A just after he signed his letter of intent, and the coach that got the job was real #*@ hole.  In fact, he was fired after his second year of destroying an undefeated team.   And, yes, as much as I hate to agree with SullyMustGo, other transfers may have had playing time as reason for their transfer.  The one thing that is being missed here is how are they convinced to come here?  I think a ton of credit has to be given to Coach Haverty and his staff in the recruitment area.  They have the uncanny ability to find out about  possible transfer players that are out there and convince them to come to Fitchburg intially to build a winning program, and now that they are ready to establish the program as a winner, to continue the tradition.  As we all know "winning brings success"!  And we all know that athletes will start to look stronger at a quality winning program that offers a good education like Fitchburg!

SullyMustGo

Pat are you talking about me with the usernames? Rogershasto go is not me by the way. You have something to do with this site I'm sure u have a way to figure out it is not me. 

HerbTuck89

CTForce,

Your right about the player he is from Sacred Heart.  I do apologize that I spent a little bit more time on researching Robbins but because of his location and high school I was more interested on how these guys get recruited.  He did have a scholarship at Newberry being released from it to transfer to Fitchburg.  The other guys also did have some sort of scholarships at their previous schools.  Is this an ongoing trend in Div III?  Is Coach Haverty going to continue recruiting in other states like Florida/South Carolina. He must have done a great job convincing these guys to come here.  I hope that he continues because as you said "winning brings success" which Fitchburg wasn't very successful until Coach Haverty took over.   

Pat Coleman

Quote from: SullyMustGo on November 09, 2005, 09:23:48 AM
Pat are you talking about me with the usernames? Rogershasto go is not me by the way. You have something to do with this site I'm sure u have a way to figure out it is not me. 

Don't be so paranoid. I never said I was talking about you.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bignefcfan15

Since its the end of the season, how about some perdictions for NEFC players of the year? I'll start.... Offense- Ben Bascon, WR from BSC. When he decides to kick it into high gear, it makes BSC's offense damn near impossible to stop. Defense- Frank Famularo, LB from FitSC. Could have won it last year if it wasn't for Robitile again. Watching FSC's d, he really seems to be unstopable and always making big plays to help his team win.
Just my .02 to get something else started up, what you guys think? Looking forward to the championship game. -Cheers.

D3FAN05

How about Thibodeau from Maine Maritime? Pretty big numbers and the team had a good year.

On another topic - who is getting ECAC bids from the NEFC this year? It looks like Bridgewater, Endicott and Fitchburg (if they lose) are all serious contenders.

Moose50

As a fairly new poster, I have trouble with the issues that have been brought up about the FSC program.  If a kid finds a "comfort zone" with a coach and his staff, then why question why the kid wants to go there.  I know that some freshman in the program made "ED's or early descisions" to attend FSC simply because of what Coach Haverty and his staff presented to them and their parents.  Some of these kids were highly recruited by other D2 & D3 schools but found that the program @ FSC was more to their liking.  So what if a kid wants to play "all the time", let them play.  I think that some are getting education and athletics mixed up here.  When the poster brings up issues about finances, that's going way over the edge.

A player on a championship team, no matter where he is from, deserves only accolades on his and his teams' accomplishments, not the negativity that some want to bring out.

Now for the NEFC championship game: FSC's defense has gotten better every week but so has Curry's.  I think that he game will be closer than the first game, 28-13 FSC but in the end, it will be FSC 28- Curry 17.  As for playoff bids: FSC goes to the NCAA's as a champion but I think it will be B'water & Endicott as the ECAC selections.  I read that the "selection show" for the D3 playoff bids will be on ESPN2 on Sunday the 13th starting a little after 1:00.

bignefcfan15

Quote from: D3FAN05 on November 09, 2005, 11:45:10 PM
How about Thibodeau from Maine Maritime? Pretty big numbers and the team had a good year.

Good point, he was my second pick along w/ Crowley MLB from Curry for 2nd defense.

After attending fitchburg's game last week at their new field, it looks like FSC will have another great recruiting weapon, that field is gorgeous. Needs more seating, but the school is showing they are really supporting their sports programs unlike some other schools  :-\

bignefcfan15

Sorry, still new at this.
-From Good point on..... Was my reply, not the other person's quote.-Cheers.

63Center

I realize that Bryan Mouse plays for a losing team (Nichols) but how can you not consider a kid that has 143 tackles, averages almost 16 per game with 4 sacks for defensive player of the year.  Of course he is the entire Nichols defense, so that may be a factor. 

I agree that Thibodeau may be one of the best running backs in the league, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet and that is right near the top of the NEFC in total yards is Gerard Festa from Endicott.  He is listed 3rd in total yards in the NEFC. 

I think that I will go with Curry to win the NEFC for the following reasons: (1) playing at home, (2) defending champs, (3) revenge for earlier loss.  I think Curry has a better defense than FSC and the offenses are about equal.  I do think it wil be close.  I go with Curry 21-17.

GoodDoc24

Kavey from Bridgewater State probably has to be the front runner for Offensive Player of the Year.  Second in rushing this season and easily leads the conference in touchdowns (20) and scoring (122 points).

I would have a difficult time giving Defensive Player of the Year honors to the kid from Nichols.  Not taking away anything from what he accomplished with all those tackles, but as a team they were awful.  And that has to be taken into consideration. 

Jim Fennelly at Westfield, Famularo at Fitchburg, and Bridgewater's Sirignano are some pretty good candidates.