MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBC

My God, what awful news. I can't believe The Roop is gone. JeffP I'll see you later this week, I hope.

hickory_cornhusker

gbpuckfan

the release:

Waukesha—(April 25, 2014)—Carroll University will join the College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin (CCIW) as a full member in the 2016-17 academic year. It is anticipated the university will become an associate member for women's lacrosse beginning in 2015-16, one year before full membership in the CCIW begins. Carroll returns to the CCIW after a 22-year absence, bringing the total number of full members in the conference to nine.

"We are delighted to return to the CCIW. It is one of the premier NCAA Division III conferences in the country and is comprised of institutions that are widely recognized for academic excellence," said Doug Hastad, president of Carroll University. "We are especially excited for our student-athletes who will be able to test their skills against some of the finest competition in the country. We look forward to renewing our relationship with these outstanding institutions. It is a proud day for the Carroll family."

Carroll was a member of the CCIW conference from 1955 to 1992. Since then, Carroll has been a member of the Midwest Conference. The announcement marks the first change in full membership since the university left the CCIW after the 1991-92 academic year.

"Joining the CCIW is a significant achievement for our Pioneers Athletic Program," said Joe Baker, athletic director for Carroll University. "Future student-athletes have a lot to look forward to as we also prepare to add men's and women's lacrosse to our sports lineup in fall, and begin renovations on our Van Male Fieldhouse this summer."

Founded in 1846, Carroll University serves an enrollment of 3,539 students and an athletics department that sponsors 20 sports (10 men's and 10 women's). The university is adding men's and women's lacrosse for the 2014-15 season.

"Our office will begin the process of incorporating Carroll into all of our conference schedules starting in 2016-17," CCIW Commissioner Chris Martin said. "We will work to create draft schedules for our athletics directors to review and decide upon as we add an additional game or series."

Currently, the CCIW sponsors 21 sports and will sponsor men's & women's lacrosse beginning in 2014-15. CCIW schools have accounted for 46 NCAA Division III National Championships in its 68-year history.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

gordonmann

Very sorry to hear about Mark's passing.  His posts kept me coming back to this room even though I haven't had much exposure to the MWC.

scottie

Pat:  I'd like to propose a posthumous honor for The Roop, which I hope isn't too much of an administrative headache for you.  Any chance his profile thumbnail (or whatever it's called) could be upgraded to "Hall of Fame" status?  Anybody care to "second" my nomination?  I'll copy on the football page as well.  Thanks, Pat, for your consideration! 
HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

Maverick

Quote from: scottie on May 05, 2014, 08:41:15 AM
Pat:  I'd like to propose a posthumous honor for The Roop, which I hope isn't too much of an administrative headache for you.  Any chance his profile thumbnail (or whatever it's called) could be upgraded to "Hall of Fame" status?  Anybody care to "second" my nomination?  I'll copy on the football page as well.  Thanks, Pat, for your consideration!

scottie - I'll second that!
Maverick
Check out the website at: http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/monmouthfb
Go Scots!

AppletonRocks

Wow.

Roop and I went to Grinnell for the MWC tourney in 2009, with the championship final won easily over Grinnell by Lawrence.  The Grinnell students, disappointed in the inability of Long and Grotberg to rise above the Vikings, eventually lowered themselves to cheer "safety school" at the Lawrence fans as LU went ahead by prohibitive amounts and shot over 40 FT.

Beloit, or "America's Team", was not in the tournament.  Roop lived in Wausau at the time.  Little Dave let me sons play in an auxiliary gym in Darby, which they did until they were kicked out by some students who were going to use it for larping.  That, plus a visit to Saints Rest, are great memories.     

RIP Roop.  Say hi to President Reagan for me. 

I vote for platinum status and highest honors on the board for Roop.

Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

AppletonRocks

So are the 2014/15 recruits announced? 

I know who St. Norbert recruited.  What about LU?  Ripon College, Carroll College, Grinnell College?   

madzillagd

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kings-hire-division-iii-assistant-to-coach-d-league-affiliate-212541876.html

DA Jr. will be leaving Grinnell to take over as the HC for the Sacramento Kings d-league team in Reno.  Interesting move. 

AppletonRocks

Quote from: madzillagd on October 08, 2014, 05:40:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kings-hire-division-iii-assistant-to-coach-d-league-affiliate-212541876.html

DA Jr. will be leaving Grinnell to take over as the HC for the Sacramento Kings d-league team in Reno.  Interesting move.

Will he take Grotberg and Bobby Long with him?

LetsGetRipped

Quote from: AppletonRocks on September 27, 2014, 01:42:31 PM

I know who St. Norbert recruited.  What about LU?  Ripon College, Carroll College, Grinnell College?

Ripon brings in 10 new faces.  9 freshman.  1 Sr Div I transfer who will play the  2-3 spot.  Freshman class has a PG, and a SG.  The rest are 6'6" or 6'7" with very different skill sets.  2-3 of these kids might have a quick impact.  The Sr will play.  Otherwise this team will ride the talents of So. Ty Sabin and Sr. Kyle Loughrin.  Both are natural 2 guards but score in different ways.  Last year's PG has transferred after starting for 2 yrs and they also graduated 1 other starter.  The RedHawks were 15-9 last year.  Coach Kane looks to improve on that with an infusion of DI leadership and young talent.  Which is always scary.  It may not always be pretty but it won't be boring.  Excited to be part of the D3 Boards.

sncdangler

Quote from: LetsGetRipped on October 11, 2014, 10:41:40 AM

Ripon brings in 10 new faces.  9 freshman.  1 Sr Div I transfer who will play the  2-3 spot.  Freshman class has a PG, and a SG.  The rest are 6'6" or 6'7" with very different skill sets.  2-3 of these kids might have a quick impact.  The Sr will play.  Otherwise this team will ride the talents of So. Ty Sabin and Sr. Kyle Loughrin.  Both are natural 2 guards but score in different ways.  Last year's PG has transferred after starting for 2 yrs and they also graduated 1 other starter.  The RedHawks were 15-9 last year.  Coach Kane looks to improve on that with an infusion of DI leadership and young talent.  Which is always scary.  It may not always be pretty but it won't be boring.  Excited to be part of the D3 Boards.

Ripon will probably be the favorite this year along with Grinnell. St. Norbert lost too much to likely contend. Carroll will probably be in the mix also. After that might be a big dropoff.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: sncdangler on October 12, 2014, 04:49:10 PM

Ripon will probably be the favorite this year along with Grinnell. St. Norbert lost too much to likely contend. Carroll will probably be in the mix also. After that might be a big dropoff.

The Dangler selling SNC short?  I expect them to be formidable.  As always, better Dead than Red. 

LetsGetRipped

Quote from: AppletonRocks on October 13, 2014, 08:41:03 AM
Quote from: sncdangler on October 12, 2014, 04:49:10 PM

The Dangler selling SNC short?  I expect them to be formidable.  As always, better Dead than Red.

So what makes SNC formidable?  Same question for Grinnell and Carroll?

LU_nut

:(

Have not been on the site for quite a while.  Very Very sorry to hear about Roop's passing.   I followed LU closely from 2002-2007 and really enjoyed his wit and loyalty to Beloit. 

He is what kept me coming back to the site and visiting it.   He will be missed.