East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: TGP on November 01, 2010, 07:46:54 PM
I really only see 1 Pool C from the east if SUNY M goes 10-0.

As always, these are UNRELATED. The identity of the Pool B teams has no effect on the identity of the Pool C teams.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 01, 2010, 08:25:26 PM

In basketball a few years back a 12-13 team got a pool B bid.  So, yeah, if it came to that they would take a 6-4 pool B team.

Not true. 13-12.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2010, 10:34:32 PM

In basketball a few years back a 12-13 team got a pool B bid.  So, yeah, if it came to that they would take a 6-4 pool B team.

Not true. 13-12.
University of Dallas in 2003-04.

Frank Rossi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2010, 10:34:32 PM

In basketball a few years back a 12-13 team got a pool B bid.  So, yeah, if it came to that they would take a 6-4 pool B team.

Not true. 13-12.

There have been a few occurrences of this in modem tourney history:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_team_had_the_worst_record_in_NCAA_history_yet_went_on_to_make_it_into_the_tournament

Mr. Ypsi

I stand corrected.  I remembered it was U-Dallas (and remember the HUGE outrage from fans who narrowly missed pool C bids), but misremembered their record by one.  So there is a .500 cut-off for pool B?

Pat Coleman

There's a general .500 cutoff for at-large bids, and Pool B bids are considered as such -- even though they're not really "at-large."

Bombers798891

Random question: Is there a quick and easy way to find out all the teams with 0 or 1 loss? I know we usually wind up discussing if a two-loss team could get in, and it usually depends on how many 1 loss teams there wind up being. I'd love to be able to track those teams in the final weeks, and just know who to root against

footballfan75

Ok so I just got thinking about what someone said about beating MUC this year and having a real chance. Here is what I was thinking of an east bracket even though its probably unrealistic....

1 MUC
2 Del Val
3 Empire 8
4 NJAC
5 Suny Maritime
6 NEFC
7 SLU
8 NJAC Runner up

I just don't think a runner up should be rank so high and I think they could beat up on MUC a little for the next week when they should face the NJAC champion who could have a legit chance at beating MUC. Assuming MSU is the NJAC Champs, they held with them in the first half last year and MUC is a little weaker this year while Mont Clair has got better.  I'm just saying why let MUC have a walk through in the first and second round?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 02, 2010, 10:18:17 AM
Random question: Is there a quick and easy way to find out all the teams with 0 or 1 loss? I know we usually wind up discussing if a two-loss team could get in, and it usually depends on how many 1 loss teams there wind up being. I'd love to be able to track those teams in the final weeks, and just know who to root against

Standings page has every team. Not sorted in that order but it's all there on one page at least.

http://www.d3football.com/seasons/2010/index

Bombers798891

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 02, 2010, 10:26:17 AM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 02, 2010, 10:18:17 AM

Standings page has every team. Not sorted in that order but it's all there on one page at least.

http://www.d3football.com/seasons/2010/index

Thanks Pat.

Looks like 35 teams with 0 or 1 (not counting Case Western/Wesley who are pool B--I believe). Yeah, really dicey for the two loss teams.

Is the number of teams with 3-4 losses with Pool A chances higher this season than normal? Correct me if any of these teams aren't Pool A for some reason like not playing in the playoffs, but the USAC, MWC, UMAC, LL will all have teams with at least three in the playoffs. I know we usually get a couple, but four strikes me as a lot.

Pat Coleman

The UMAC doesn't have an automatic bid until next year but it always seems like there is one or two 6-4 teams in the playoffs. The NATHC has sent teams like that in the past, as did the ODAC a couple years ago. The Midwest Conference is almost always 10-0 or 9-1 heading into the postseason, and the Liberty League champ at 6-4 would be unusual but there's usually someone.

fisheralum91

I hate to sound completely out of it....But if Fisher beats SC on Saterday THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH A LOCK..right?

Bombers798891

Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 02, 2010, 10:55:06 AM
I hate to sound completely out of it....But if Fisher beats SC on Saterday THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH A LOCK..right?

From what I've gathered, they'd be in good shape. But hey, judging by the way some of these Alfred guys took the loss, you may wind up with the Pool A anyway. By the way, I hope you guys play a horrible game Saturday. (And you still have to root for us, just in case you get the short end of a 9-1 season! Muhahahaha!)

pg04

Going 9-1, I think so.  whether it be because Alfred lost and you get the Pool A or not, I would think you'd be safe...Just my opinion though.  

AUKaz00

From the current Regional Rankings, Fisher is behind Rowan and Montclair, not sure where that will end up though.  Have we decided who wins the NJAC yet?  If it's Cortland, then Fisher could conceivably be third in line (though I think that Montclair falls behind them).

The earlier Fisher is on the board, the better their chance of getting picked (obviously).  So, here are the other 1-loss, regionally ranked teams that I see out there:

North: Ohio Northern, Wheaton/North Central loser, Wittenberg/Wabash loser
South: Hardin-Simmons
West: Coe, Bethel, Redlands, Pacific Lutheran

That's 11 teams vying for 6 spots.  A couple might lose these next two weeks, but there's also the possibility that a couple conference leaders could get bumped and end up in the mix as well (Hampden-Sydney, Wartburg, Mount Union, etc.).
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!