WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

GoPerry, agree with all you have said, reported, about the IWU-WC game.  A great clutch shot by Kelly for the win, off a great drive and dish by McGraw.

Glad to hear from Q above that Ehresman's injury may not be season ending.  I hope that is true.  In the interim, sounds like she might miss 1-2 weeks?  We'll see.  I'd bet Mia Smith is thinking about playing Molly McGraw at the point now, and setting up all kinds of 1-on-1 isolation plays, screens for her.  Not many in the CCIW can guard her.  Or, perhaps Amanda Kelly becomes the point in Rebekah's absence.  Surely Shanks and Lehockey will get more time.  Maddie Merritt really coming into her own in the paint, playing strong and shooting the FTs at a very high percentage.  Makes IWU a much stronger team to have that offense, rebounding and scoring off of fouls, in the post. 

More big games to come, lots of the CCIW season to go.

IWU'70

RogK

Carroll's Sara Hartl scored 43 pts last week via some nice shooting, with a .690 eFG% (20/29 when factoring in the threes), plus 3/4 FTs. She also contributed a steal, 6 assists and 9 rebs in 66:00.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on January 08, 2017, 11:12:55 AM
As GoPerry reported, Carroll won. I doubt if they want my sympathy, but we know it's unpleasant to continuously lose, so I'll say, good for them to finally register a W.

My sentiments exactly ... especially since it didn't come at the expense of NPU. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 09, 2017, 10:30:59 AM
Quote from: RogK on January 08, 2017, 11:12:55 AM
As GoPerry reported, Carroll won. I doubt if they want my sympathy, but we know it's unpleasant to continuously lose, so I'll say, good for them to finally register a W.

My sentiments exactly ... especially since it didn't come at the expense of NPU. ;)

Same re: NCC. :P

It's always nice to get that monkey off your back though. I don't want to see anyone go 0-25, and if that win gives them a little confidence going forward, possibly leading to a couple more wins, more power to them (again, as long as it doesn't come in Naperville. :P )
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Millikin's rescheduled game at Washington U tips off in about 1/2 hour. Millikin is hard to judge so far. They did lose by only 4 at DePauw, so who knows what'll occur today in St Louis. No video. Use your imagination. Heh.

RogK

Congrats to Maddie Merritt, our new CCIW Player of the Week!

RogK

Wash U 77, Millikin 58. The Big Blue made 10 of 32 2FG att.

Mr. Ypsi

New poll is up, and no CCIW team in the top 25.  Wheaton fell to just outside (#26, with 23 points); Augie received a single vote.  Since IWU knocked Wheaton out, I thought they might receive a stray vote or two, but 5 losses is apparently just too many, no matter how many of the teams they lost to are ranked.

RogK

If IWU continues to win 3/4 of their conference games, I think they'll get a lot of respect at the end of the regular season. Their 5 nonconference wins are looking pretty good at the moment (with half of the picture painted) : taking out the losses to IWU, the 5 nonconf teams that IWU beat have records as follows. Illinois College 8-2, Luther 8-4, Rose-Hulman 10-2, Chicago 8-3, Wilmington 8-4. We'll have to see how these opponents finish out their regular seasons and how IWU finishes its.

iwu70

Congrats to Maddie Merritt.  Very deserving this week.  She's making the over all Titan team and offensive scheme much better. 

Let hope Ehresman gets back before too too long.

IWU'70

GoPerry

Quote from: RogK on January 09, 2017, 09:16:36 PM
If IWU continues to win 3/4 of their conference games, I think they'll get a lot of respect at the end of the regular season. Their 5 nonconference wins are looking pretty good at the moment (with half of the picture painted) : taking out the losses to IWU, the 5 nonconf teams that IWU beat have records as follows. Illinois College 8-2, Luther 8-4, Rose-Hulman 10-2, Chicago 8-3, Wilmington 8-4. We'll have to see how these opponents finish out their regular seasons and how IWU finishes its.

Rog: 

IWU already has a lot of respect across the league notwithstanding their record, present or future, but I suspect you're not really referring to that.  If the inference is to post-season play, I believe it's highly doubtful 12-4 will get them a Pool C bid because even a strong SOS won't overcome the math.  They would need to win the AQ in my opinion, which is obviously a possibility.   If they go 13-3 (10-2 the rest of the way) and 1-1 in the tourney, then they have a chance to be in the conversation.  All the teams have a lot of work to do between now and then, but that 2/21 final game @ Wheaton could be big.

RogK

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of the national tournament.
My thinking was negligent though because I didn't consider the CCIW tournament and that IWU could hypothetically add another loss that way. Your math sounds right.
IWU has as good a chance as anyone to make the CCIW tournament, but they may not. It's still very early in conf play, now that we have 16 games instead of 14.

RogK

So I was just perusing North Park's season stats and noticed that Liz Rehberger and Amani Davis have reached double figures in blocks and steals. I figured I'd find a couple of players on each team that had also achieved this combo by now.
Surprisingly (to me anyway), only seven players have reached double figures in blocks and steals : Davis, Rehberger, Devin Kyler, Anita Sterling, Lauren Moses, Kaycee Kallenberger and Carly McCameron. Another 8 or 10 players might get there in the next week or two. Beyond that clump, hardly anyone is close.
Conclusions? I dunno.

iwu70

I share GoPerry's views about IWU's record and D3 dance prospects.  When you play such a tough schedule and lose 4-5 games pre-CCIW, that means it's very hard to get near 20 wins.  Your resume come selection Sunday just isn't that strong.  That's why I continue to feel that IWU has to win the AQ, which WC and others will, of course, want to win as well.  IWU could go the rest of the way with 1-3 losses in conference play, but that would still put them only to about 17-8 for the season, then 18-9 if they don't win the AQ.  Even with a very very strong SOS, I don't think that gets you in. Their schedule is what it is, and surely contributes to how good, how tough they will be these next 6 weeks, but it is a stretch to get to the D3 dance without the AQ.  And now, of course, the Ehresman injury and other issues with key players, surely won't help.  Pgraph has Ehresman out 1-2 games, though that sounds optimistic to me.  Ankle sprains are tricky, sometimes worse than a break.  We'll see.  IWU will be short-handed and will have to find ways to win relying on seniors, some key bench players getting more minutes, and surely relying more heavily on Merritt and McGraw for the points.  Ehresman was the top rebounder, a good scorer, great with ball control and security, and surely the stick that stirs the IWU drink in so many ways.  We'll see how they can play without her vs. NPU.  I'm sure Mia will have a good plan, but her loss is very major. 

IWU'70

lmitzel

Nice article in the Naperville Sun about Jamie Cuny, as well as Mayson Whipple, who is officially out for the year. ACL tears are a [female dog].

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/ct-nvs-basketball-north-central-notes-st-0111-20170110-story.html

Big one in Naperville tonight as Augie comes to visit. Not out of the realm of possibility for that combined score record set in a 2014 Illinois Wesleyan-North Central tilt get toppled tonight given these offenses.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE