FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

palum

As one of the few Platteville posters I can honestly say I don't know what to think of this Saturday's game with WW. Is Platteville a legit 4-0 team it's hard to judge by their NC games and how big was the LaX win sloppy conditions were a big factor but after falling behind 20-7 they did outscore  LaX 31 zip. LaX beat Concordia-Morehead 21-14 and WW beat Concordia-Morehead 20-10. I know that will mean very little come Saturday but I think it shows  that the LaX win is a quality win for Platteville. I had my doubts about Platteville coming into this season after last year's 4-6 record including losing their last 5. Three things are improved this year 1. Colin Schuetz (QB) is playing much better than last year. 2. Wyatt Thompson is back at running back and 3. The offensive line play is I improved.  All that being said WW always seems to find a way to beat Platteville.

bleedpurple

Quote from: palum on October 09, 2019, 03:55:26 PM
As one of the few Platteville posters I can honestly say I don't know what to think of this Saturday's game with WW. Is Platteville a legit 4-0 team it's hard to judge by their NC games and how big was the LaX win sloppy conditions were a big factor but after falling behind 20-7 they did outscore  LaX 31 zip. LaX beat Concordia-Morehead 21-14 and WW beat Concordia-Morehead 20-10. I know that will mean very little come Saturday but I think it shows  that the LaX win is a quality win for Platteville. I had my doubts about Platteville coming into this season after last year's 4-6 record including losing their last 5. Three things are improved this year 1. Colin Schuetz (QB) is playing much better than last year. 2. Wyatt Thompson is back at running back and 3. The offensive line play is I improved.  All that being said WW always seems to find a way to beat Platteville.
True enough. Even though UW-P is consistently a top 3 contender (last year was a rare exception) in recent seasons, UW-W has beaten the Pioneers 14 straight times. Coach Emendorfer is a good man. A few years ago, I was talking with him before a UW-W/ UW-P game. He mentioned how he had gotten a phone call from a coach who was about to play us in the playoffs the previous year. The coach asked him how to beat Whitewater.  He said he just laughed. And to paraphase, he said, "What the heck are you asking me for? I've never beaten them."  I always root for UW-P when they are not playing UW-W and I always look forward to saying hello to Patty Chryst who still comes to the UW-W/UW-P games, which are all the "George Chryst Memorial Bowl" whether played at UW-P or UW-W.  That's how much respect UW-W has for Coach Chryst and UW-P.

BoBo

Quote from: WW on October 09, 2019, 09:03:26 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 08, 2019, 06:34:20 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on October 08, 2019, 04:02:01 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 08, 2019, 03:36:59 PM
    B. There can be a downside to splitting time at the QB position.

SJU tried a QB rotation probably 8-10 year ago.  It drove me nuts and made it hard to build momentum.  That being said, Erdmann's backup for the past couple years (Ben Alvord) was a stud and likely would have started at most schools, and SJU would use him situationally as he brought some different things to the table.

Agreed. It can be done.  I like the idea if it is done with a specific purpose. Maybe the starter could benefit from a series standing by a coach and watching what the defense is doing for a series. Or maybe the back up has a specific strength that he is better at than #1 (Perhaps uptempo). But the straight up "we can't make up our mind so let's play both" can be a detriment if not handled extremely well.

They can be close in talent and ability but once QB1 gets all the first-team reps in practice, the gap grows. I don't recall ever seeing the platoon work very well, even early in the season. Seems too often you get guys trying to do things beyond their capability to win the job.

You're obviously too young or not enough of a football historian. Here are 3 successful, 2 QB platoon systems that worked very well (2 professional, 1 collegiate):

Ohio State Buckeyes fans recall the 1996-97 season when their team deployed two QBs regularly. Stanley Jackson and Joe Germaine each played a big role in the Buckeyes one loss, Rose Bowl Championship season. Jackson was the dual threat QB that threatened with his legs a bit more than his arm. Germaine on the other hand was a pocket passer who made plays strictly with his arm.

The early '80s/pre-Marino Dolphins had WoodStrock, in which David Woodley and Don Strock split time at QB. The duo ended up making it to Super Bowl XVII.

Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield of the Rams. Both made the Pro Bowl in '50 and '51. In 51 they were 1-2 in NFL passer ratings. Waterfield retired after the '52 season ending any more opportunity to platoon. Both are Pro Football Hall of Famers. And Waterfield was married to Hollywood sex symbol Jane Russell for 25 years.

I would say a 2 quarterback system rarely ends up successful, but not totally unheard of.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

jamtod

Quote from: BoBo on October 09, 2019, 08:41:43 PM
Quote from: WW on October 09, 2019, 09:03:26 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 08, 2019, 06:34:20 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on October 08, 2019, 04:02:01 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 08, 2019, 03:36:59 PM
    B. There can be a downside to splitting time at the QB position.

SJU tried a QB rotation probably 8-10 year ago.  It drove me nuts and made it hard to build momentum.  That being said, Erdmann's backup for the past couple years (Ben Alvord) was a stud and likely would have started at most schools, and SJU would use him situationally as he brought some different things to the table.

Agreed. It can be done.  I like the idea if it is done with a specific purpose. Maybe the starter could benefit from a series standing by a coach and watching what the defense is doing for a series. Or maybe the back up has a specific strength that he is better at than #1 (Perhaps uptempo). But the straight up "we can't make up our mind so let's play both" can be a detriment if not handled extremely well.

They can be close in talent and ability but once QB1 gets all the first-team reps in practice, the gap grows. I don't recall ever seeing the platoon work very well, even early in the season. Seems too often you get guys trying to do things beyond their capability to win the job.

You're obviously too young or not enough of a football historian. Here are 3 successful, 2 QB platoon systems that worked very well (2 professional, 1 collegiate):

Ohio State Buckeyes fans recall the 1996-97 season when their team deployed two QBs regularly. Stanley Jackson and Joe Germaine each played a big role in the Buckeyes one loss, Rose Bowl Championship season. Jackson was the dual threat QB that threatened with his legs a bit more than his arm. Germaine on the other hand was a pocket passer who made plays strictly with his arm.

The early '80s/pre-Marino Dolphins had WoodStrock, in which David Woodley and Don Strock split time at QB. The duo ended up making it to Super Bowl XVII.

Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield of the Rams. Both made the Pro Bowl in '50 and '51. In 51 they were 1-2 in NFL passer ratings. Waterfield retired after the '52 season ending any more opportunity to platoon. Both are Pro Football Hall of Famers. And Waterfield was married to Hollywood sex symbol Jane Russell for 25 years.

I would say a 2 quarterback system rarely ends up successful, but not totally unheard of.

Florida had some success with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow

WW

If you've gotta reach out of the millennium to refute my argument, I think it's pretty sound. Besides, Strock and Woodley were both ass.

WW

But Jane Russell was smokin hot, I'll give you that

bluenote

I saw WW at Willamette.. did I tell u guys this story before??? Just wondering... LOL :-X

bluenote

They looked like a pro team compared to a College team... I thought I was in a different league... it was amazing! WOW

emma17

Quote from: Bluenote on October 10, 2019, 12:48:33 AM
They looked like a pro team compared to a College team... I thought I was in a different league... it was amazing! WOW

I don't know what else to say:
https://youtu.be/Q1Um0PiPLcM

SW66

Looks like Oshkosh may end up with the championship from 2016. UMHB is having to vacate their wins from 2016 and 2017 for loaning a car to a student athlete to be able to get back and forth to school. I would have asked for something nicer than a 2006 Subaru. Guess their own self imposed sanctions and self reporting were not enough for the rules committee.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: SW66 on October 10, 2019, 01:44:07 PM
Looks like Oshkosh may end up with the championship from 2016. UMHB is having to vacate their wins from 2016 and 2017 for loaning a car to a student athlete to be able to get back and forth to school. I would have asked for something nicer than a 2006 Subaru. Guess their own self imposed sanctions and self reporting were not enough for the rules committee.

:o

Seems harsh

It's being suggested that there will be no champion that year. Vacating the wins is different from forfeiting them. 

emma17

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 10, 2019, 01:47:28 PM

Seems harsh

It's being suggested that there will be no champion that year. Vacating the wins is different from forfeiting them.

I say this jokingly, it depends who the player was. Was he the guy that intercepted UWO on their last offensive play of the game? If so, I self-declare UWO national champions.

As long as there isn't more to this story, or more that preceded this story, I hope UMHB retains the 2016 championship.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: emma17 on October 10, 2019, 02:26:12 PM

Seems harsh

I say this jokingly, it depends who the player was. Was he the guy that intercepted UWO on their last offensive play of the game? If so, I self-declare UWO national champions.

As long as there isn't more to this story, or more that preceded this story, I hope UMHB retains the 2016 championship.

Apparently MHB took their 2016 banner down awhile ago and nobody knew why. Now we do. I guess they are no longer champions unless they win the appeal process.

Can they vacate 2018 too?  ;) I kid

formerd3db

Seems harsh.

I agree with both. Taking/admitting responsibility and the self imposed sanctions were enough. However, we all know that the NCAA  never does anything consistently and their rationale is often ludicrous. As had been mentioned, they are basically sending the message that they are in control and they don't care what anyone else thinks.

In reality, it doesn't matter if the title is mandated to be vacated. That will never change the fact that everyone knows who won the game on the field and will never change. IMO,  the latter is similar to,, yet another example of the NCAA exerting their authority because they can, such as not counting Stagg's total wins at the time it was as being the all-time top among all college football coaches regardless of division  Anyway, in mybook, UMHB will always be the champion for the year in question.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

WW

Trewyn will travel (to London!) and dress for potential first regular season action Sunday. UWW now breaks tie with Beloit College (!) for most active Wisconsin-colleged D3 alums in the NFL