Women's World Cup

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 07, 2007, 10:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

On to the quarters:

I'm pretty confident that USA will take out England, and Brazil will do in Australia (though most games with the US team are an adventure, and if the Aussie women have the men's flair for upsets, watch out!).  Germany will probably oust NK, but I don't know enough about the Germans to know how they will cope with NK's speed.  The real toss-up (to me, at least) is Norway vs. China: I'm FAIRLY sure that Norway is the better team, but strange things can happen when you take on the hosts!  I'll take Norway, but will ALMOST be surprised if I'm right! ;D

England and Australia are probably the longest shots for the cup, but even they (and Sweden, Nigeria, Canada, and perhaps even Denmark and Japan) are (or for the others, were) legitimate hopefuls.  A far cry from WWCs past!

Mr. Ypsi

Well, 4-0 in the quarters - guess that puts me in first place in the WWC pickems!  (Of course, it would be more impressive if I wasn't talking to myself! :()  Germany won more easily than I expected, while Brazil had a more difficult time than anticipated.

I'll pick USA over Germany in the final, so I guess that covers the semis as well!

Stinger

Hope Solo is benched in favor of Briana Scurry for tomorrow's semi final v. Brazil.  I am a bit shocked. Quotes from Solo signaled that she isn't injured.  I really hope this doesn't backfire.

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Mr. Ypsi

From the SI.com story, that was apparently the plan all along (though not announced, perhaps even to Solo) - Scurry was on the team specifically in case they faced Brazil.

Germany set a new WWC defensive record this morning - dating back to 2003, they have now shutout opponents for 529 consecutive minutes.  If USA survives Brazil (likely, given past history), I suspect that Abby Wambaugh will make short work of that streak! :)

Stinger

Osbourne with a own goal in the 21st minute. We'll see how the US responds.

They have the early edge in shots. They'll need Wambach to get on target.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Stinger

ScotsFan

Quote from: Stinger on September 27, 2007, 10:57:18 AM
Ouch

Yep, that about sums it up! 

I think it was evident that the hard work the US had to put in just to get out of their group caught up with them today.  And then when Boxx got that 2nd yellow and subsequent red?  I'm still trying to figure out what the ref saw there.  Since when does getting your feet tangled up with an opposing player warrant a yellow???   ::)

And that booking pretty much sealed the deal for the US and would allow Brazil to deliver the Americans their worst defeat in the history of the US National Team!

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 26, 2007, 06:12:18 PM
From the SI.com story, that was apparently the plan all along (though not announced, perhaps even to Solo) - Scurry was on the team specifically in case they faced Brazil.

Germany set a new WWC defensive record this morning - dating back to 2003, they have now shutout opponents for 529 consecutive minutes.  If USA survives Brazil (likely, given past history), I suspect that Abby Wambaugh will make short work of that streak! :)

I really don't get Ryan's move to bench Solo.  I don't care what Scurry has done in the past against Brazil.  The semi's of the World Cup isn't the time to be making a coaching change.  Especially when Solo had gone 3+ games without allowing a goal.  Not a good coaching move if you ask me. ::) ???

And as far as Germany's shutout streak goes, after watching Marta for Brazil, I'd say that she has a pretty good chance of ending that streak!  Her 2nd goal would make Rhonaldino proud!!! :o

ScotsFan

Quote from: ScotsFan on September 27, 2007, 12:10:47 PM
And as far as Germany's shutout streak goes, after watching Marta for Brazil, I'd say that she has a pretty good chance of ending that streak!  Her 2nd goal would make Rhonaldino proud!!! :o
So much for that prediction?! ::)  Not only did Germany shut-out Brazil to become the first team to run through a WC Tournament (men's or women's) without conceding a goal, but they denied the great Marta on a PK in the process that would have tied the game!

Germany becomes the 1st women's team to repeat as World Cup champs and joins the US as the only multiple winners of the Cup.

The US was able to rebound from their devastating loss to Brazil by taking out some of their frustations in a  4-1 thumping of Denmark in the pretty meaningless 3rd place game.

sac

Didn't get to opine on this when it happened, but as soon as I heard Scurry was going to start in goal vs Brazil, I knew they were beaten.

One  of the alltime dumbest coaching moves I've heard of.  Despite the "total support" of the team in the decision......supposedly. This was a terrible move.

Mr. Ypsi

The Olympics draws have been announced:

Group E: Argentina, Canada, China, Sweden
Group F: Brazil, Germany, Nigeria, N. Korea
Group G: Japan, New Zealand, Norway, USA

With Olympic rules (23 and under, or under 23?), it is real hard to handicap.  Going by traditional performance, I'd say EVERYONE (except, perhaps, New Zealand) is a legitimate candidate for gold!

I'll stick my neck out and peg Canada (probably better than China, but don't discount home-cookin'!), Nigeria, N. Korea, and New Zealand as the four early departures.  (Plan B replaces Canada with Japan - the Chinese are not real fond of Japan! ;))

Mr. Ypsi

WOW!  No Abby Wambaugh, and still the gold!

And Hope Solo got the shutout against Brazil - Greg Ryan, in case there was any doubt, you are officially an idiot. ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Time to resurrect this thread - World Cup is comin' soon!

While it won't happen this year, a name to keep in mind for the future: Anna McClung.  Now a high school sophomore in Virginia, she made "Faces in the Crowd" (SI) for having at least a hat trick in EVERY (so far) game this season; as a freshman she set the state record with 65 goals in 16 games!  She's already on the national U18 team, though I assume she is only 15 or 16. 

She's cute too! ;D  Perhaps the next Mia Hamm (and, yes, I recall Freddy Adu :()?

WLCALUM83

Final just in :

In the last tune-up before the USA women leave for the World Cup:

USA 1, Mexico 0  (Chaney got the goal in stoppage time- Mexican goalie Santiago was playing as if she was standing on her head on defense a good share of the match)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on June 05, 2011, 04:15:08 PM
Final just in :

In the last tune-up before the USA women leave for the World Cup:

USA 1, Mexico 0  (Chaney got the goal in stoppage time- Mexican goalie Santiago was playing as if she was standing on her head on defense a good share of the match)

I'm worried if the Mexican keeper was standing on her head and we still only got one goal! :D

woacfan

No finishers.  That's the big worry for the USWNT. The U.S. has relied too long on the "serve it to Wambach" philosophy.  Abby was a non-factor yesterday. (She can't do it alone and other teams have learned to try and marginalize her.)  They need to have more weapons on top. Might be time to get Alex Morgan into the starting line up.  She has been great for the WNY Flash.  She might be the extra spark the US women need.
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough