New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Flounder

Quote from: Off Pitch on January 05, 2015, 10:30:08 PM
Not sure if these players have been recognized on this site, but the following were named to the Academic All-District team:

FIRST TEAM
Pos.         Name                   School                    Yr.        Hometown         GPA          Major
GK   Aidan McParland    U. OF NEW ENGLAND   Sr.   Brockville, Ontario   3.92   Medical biology
D   Jason Adler           MIT                           Sr.    Scarsdale, N.Y.         3.76   Mathematics
D   Andrew Gonzalez   BABSON                   Jr.   Durham, Conn.         3.62   Business Mgmt
D   Conor Lanahan           BRANDEIS                   Jr.   Avon, Conn.         3.41   Biochemistry
D   Gabriel Wirz           AMHERST                    Sr.   New York, N.Y.         3.65   Psychology
M   Chester Chambers   MIT                           Sr.   Columbia, Md.         4.00   Chemical Eng.
M   Justin Laurenzo           BABSON                   Sr.   Park Ridge, N.J.         3.80   Finance
M   Kurt Naugler          WPI                         Jr.   Westford, Mass.         3.96   Mechanical Eng
F   Adam Glaser          MIDDLEBURY           So.   Washington, D.C.     3.78   Undeclared
F   Tyler Savonen          BRANDEIS                   Sr.   Orleans, Mass.         3.60   Econ / business
F   Oscar Zapta          CLARK                   Sr.   Lima, Peru                 3.60   Mgmt / Econ

Congratulations to all of these fine student-athletes.

Yes, congrats to all!!!

Off Pitch

Also, McParland of U of New England and Laurenzo of Babson were named First Team Academic All-Americans!

Off Pitch

New England representation on the D3soccer.com All-American Team

Defender of the Year: Conor Lanahan (Jr.), Brandeis

FIRST TEAM
D Conor Lanahan Jr. Brandeis
D Sam Williams Sr. Tufts

SECOND TEAM
M Justin Laurenzo Sr. Babson
GK Joe Graffy Sr. Brandeis

THIRD TEAM
M Luke Finkelstein Sr. Wheaton (Mass.)
D Gabriel Wirz Sr. Amherst

2014 MEN'S COACH OF THE YEAR
Josh Shapiro, Tufts (16-2-4) - 2014 National Champions

Interesting representation: Brandeis 2, NESCAC 2, NEWMAC 2.  Congratulations to all those honored.

Off Pitch

With Russo's retirement with 428 wins in 36 seasons, who are the winningest active coaches in New England?  I can come up with five who have over 300 wins, but I'm probably missing someone.  Anyone else?

Coven (Brandeis) - 494 wins (42 years)
Anderson (Babson) - 358 wins (29 years)
Saward (Middlebury) - 324 wins (30 seasons)
Cushing (Wheaton) - 305 wins (21 years)
Cook (Roger Williams) - 304 wins (23 years)

Off Pitch

Quote from: Off Pitch on January 11, 2015, 09:11:04 PM
With Russo's retirement with 428 wins in 36 seasons, who are the winningest active coaches in New England?  I can come up with five who have over 300 wins, but I'm probably missing someone.  Anyone else?

Saward (Middlebury) - 324 wins (30 years)

Also, it is probably no coincidence that Babson, Brandeis, Williams and Middlebury have had all of New England's national championships until this season.

Mr.Right

Active--- maybe Shaun Griffin at Hobart / Plymouth State might have 300 wins. I would be willing to bet he is at 250-300.
Recently retired / fired-----Ron Butcher at Keene State and Peter Haley at Springfield would most likely be in there if you are including there D2 days and even for Keene St NAIA

Mr.Right

Quote from: Off Pitch on January 11, 2015, 09:20:02 PM
Quote from: Off Pitch on January 11, 2015, 09:11:04 PM

Saward (Middlebury) - 324 wins (30 years)

Also, it is probably no coincidence that Babson, Brandeis, Williams and Middlebury have had all of New England's national championships until this season.

No coincidence that comparing Cushing and Saward that we are looking at SOS and games played putting asterisks next to most of these records for all this stuff

lastguyoffthebench

The only asterisk is Middlebury when they tied up that National Championship.    What formation did they play then; 5-4-1?  6-3-1?   Or was the GK a machine.  Didn't watch the game or even look up the box score but two 0-0 draws...

Mr.Right

Midd in 2007 was a very good team for a couple reasons. The GK Bush was phenomenal all year and they were VERY athletic which is their trademark. They played a standard 4-4-2 with the wing middies pinched defensively to clog everything up. They had Robbie Ftorek's(NHL) son Casey as their striker. He single handily helped Union College into the NCAA's in 2005 before transferring to Middlebury.Union is D1 Hockey and the hockey coach told Casey to forget about the cleats. Casey told him where to stick it and went to Midd and was actually a way more productive soccer player than hockey player. Shows how much Union cares about Soccer that Jeff Guinn can continually hold on to that job since I believe the late 1980's that has severely under performed recruiting in my opinion. Midd had some great team players with Banada,Germansky,Edwards, LaRocca,etc. I am probably missing some but they were a tough out and HARD to break down. I agree not scoring a goal and winning the championship is a disaster but if I am correct they did not LET UP A GOAL IN 6 NCAA GAMES. Honestly, that is unheard of. I know they played Williams,York,Trinity,Loras and maybe Amherst I cannot quite remember. Still impressive. They also had some tremendous luck which we all need

lastguyoffthebench

They beat Amherst on NESCAC final 1-0, Wheaton MA 2-0, Williams 3-0, York 2-0, Loras 0-0, Trinity 0-0.

In 2004 Messiah did it, and that might be the only other time it has happened. 
First Round - Bye -
Second Round Grantham, PA Westminster College (PA) Messiah 5-0
Sectional Semifinals Wilmington, OH Allegheny College Messiah 5-0
Sectional Finals Wilmington, OH Wartburg College Messiah 2-0
Semifinals Greensboro, NC Salisbury University Messiah 1-0
Finals Greensboro, NC University of California, Santa Cruz Messiah 4-0

Alo35

@ECSUalum Looks like your team lost a few players in the offseason to transfers. What do you think of the two players decisions to leave?

Nic Warren transferring to Cal Lutheran.
Greg Walton transferring to The University of Vermont.

Are there transfer situations happening that could impact other teams in New England next season?!

ECSUalum

Quote from: Alo35 on April 23, 2015, 03:57:20 PM
@ECSUalum Looks like your team lost a few players in the offseason to transfers. What do you think of the two players decisions to leave?

Nic Warren transferring to Cal Lutheran.
Greg Walton transferring to The University of Vermont.

Are there transfer situations happening that could impact other teams in New England next season?!
alo35,
Both these guys were key starters for ECSU last season.  Walton was from Maine and I suppose wanted to be closer to home, but did a tremendous job in his sophomore year averaging just 0.61 goals per game. As Eastern was not a good goal scoring team they will miss their excellent goal tender.  Warren another sophomore last year  will be missed in the mid field!!  Cal Lutheran, Huh, have no clue why he would go out there.  Looks like they may have lost Connor Scarponi, a soph transfer from Maine Maritime last year, also from Maine who was a quick winger and had a couple of goals last year.
Thanks for the heads up I really did not see these guys leaving.  Where did you see this info?

Ishmael55

Cal Lutheran, Huh, have no clue why he would go out there

With all respect to Willamantic, CT, many would view Thousand Oaks CA a preferable destination.

ECSUalum

Quote from: Ishmael55 on June 21, 2015, 02:47:10 PM
Cal Lutheran, Huh, have no clue why he would go out there

With all respect to Willamantic, CT, many would view Thousand Oaks CA a preferable destination.
Really was not referring to the geographic location, more like the soccer program!! Perhaps his family moved out there, puzzling!!

amh63

ECSU....my friend...hope you are well.  There is a poster on the boards...primarily on the Nescac MBB board...that is a Cal Lutheran alum.  He has a nephew on the Williams MBB team...a senior, I believe.  His "handle" is Madzillagd.  I hope that is correct.  I refer to him as Madz...since I tend to forget things.
I am aware of Cal Lutheran's tennis team since several CAC schools play them and the cited poster is a former Tennis player.
Anyway, if interested, he may provide an alum's assessment of the soccer program.