New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Quote from: 4231CenterBack on September 22, 2015, 07:35:31 PM
Yeah they definitely pumped a lot of long balls into the box and were a bit dangerous. Other than that there wasn't a lot of soccer going on from Eastern Connecticut. That being said, I have a lot of respect for Eastern Connecticut....the last two times we played them they were great matches. Again it had to be an off day. The coach was reduced to yelling at his players telling them what to do on every play and screaming at the officials.

DeVito drives opposing coaches NUTS...Some do not trust him and others refuse to play him. He must say "man" 50 times a game. For what I believe is still a part-time gig he does one hell of a job in my book

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on September 22, 2015, 07:14:13 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on September 22, 2015, 03:23:53 PM
That was the year of the CCC garnering 3 bids and almost 4 which was getting under Nescac fans skin that year.

That boiled me. Seeing RWU, where I spent a year before transferring, completely derp its way into an at-large bid on the back of some veeeeery fortunate wins (Wheaton, Babson in 2OT, Gordon in the CCC game in which they scored on two defensive mistakes) and then winning in the first round against Rutgers-Newark in a game where they were dominated and scored three fluky goals was ridiculous. I will admit that Hoxsie was deserving of All-American, but his team absolutely did not deserve a bid and its victory over Rutgers-Newark has to go down as one of the great smash-and-grab raids. Thankfully Brandeis beat them in the NCAA second round at home and ended their season, which I found to be extra sweet. ;D

Yes I remember thinking to myself after the 1st round on Saturday night how did WNEC , RWU and Gordon all just win 1st round matches. They played MIT, Rutgers Newark and ECONN respectively. The Rutgers Newark result surprised me the most losing to RWU. What did you think of the old timer who just retired Jim Cook. I actually posted this summer that I thought the job would be a good start for a young coach and that there is talent in the area if you look and can squeeze thru admissions.

ECSUalum

UMass Boston has now handed Wentworth their first L of the season, in a 3-1 victory.  Elton Teixeira, assisted by Mohamed Kenawy (times 2), was all the Beacons needed in a well played relatively even match.  UMB will be very dangerous this season with excellent D and a whole host of skillful forwards serviced by competent midfielders. I predict UMB will likely appear in the top 25 next week.

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 22, 2015, 08:23:01 PM
Yes I remember thinking to myself after the 1st round on Saturday night how did WNEC , RWU and Gordon all just win 1st round matches. They played MIT, Rutgers Newark and ECONN respectively. The Rutgers Newark result surprised me the most losing to RWU. What did you think of the old timer who just retired Jim Cook. I actually posted this summer that I thought the job would be a good start for a young coach and that there is talent in the area if you look and can squeeze thru admissions.

Never impressed with him. An OK guy from my limited interaction with him, but I observed no real tactical plan during my year there - they aspired to be a possesion team but most of it was aimless possession that never really resulted in anything.

Since I left, which was incidentally the fall that Hoxsie arrived, their strategy essentially became "give the ball to Hoxsie and hope he bails us out." It worked for them a couple of times, as in 2013 he scored both goals each time in big away victories over Wheaton and Babson, and RWU managed to pick up lucky wins away at Gordon and then Rutgers-Newark (a game where they were outshot 28-9, Rutgers-Newark should have been 4-0 up at the half.) However, when they played Brandeis, Cook got completely out-coached by Coven and Margolis, who set up the Brandeis CBs to double-mark Hoxsie and completely shut off his service from midfield. Hoxsie was in their pocket all night, I think he got one shot off the whole game. Part of that was that the Judges' CBs Lanahan and Brondoli both played very well, but a lot of it came down to that Cook was out-coached and had no Plan B in the event that Hoxsie got shut down.

Greenslit, the former Wheaton assistant, actually took over this summer. I think he will do a good job, he coaches the Bolts and he has a pretty extensive pedigree so I would expect that they will improve tactically and perhaps recruiting-wise. They beat MIT at home, but at the same time got hammered by Vassar and lost at ECSU and Wentworth, so I think they are a work in progress.

PaulNewman

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 22, 2015, 08:51:12 PM
UMass Boston has now handed Wentworth their first L of the season, in a 3-1 victory.  Elton Teixeira, assisted by Mohamed Kenawy (times 2), was all the Beacons needed in a well played relatively even match.  UMB will be very dangerous this season with excellent D and a whole host of skillful forwards serviced by competent midfielders. I predict UMB will likely appear in the top 25 next week.

2nd loss for Wentworth.

ECSUalum

Quote from: NCAC New England on September 22, 2015, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on September 22, 2015, 08:51:12 PM

2nd loss for Wentworth.
Correct, the other L WNEU  :-[

ECSUalum

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 22, 2015, 08:17:21 PM
Quote from: 4231CenterBack on September 22, 2015, 07:35:31 PM
Yeah they definitely pumped a lot of long balls into the box and were a bit dangerous. Other than that there wasn't a lot of soccer going on from Eastern Connecticut. That being said, I have a lot of respect for Eastern Connecticut....the last two times we played them they were great matches. Again it had to be an off day. The coach was reduced to yelling at his players telling them what to do on every play and screaming at the officials.

DeVito drives opposing coaches NUTS...Some do not trust him and others refuse to play him. He must say "man" 50 times a game. For what I believe is still a part-time gig he does one hell of a job in my book
Thanks Mr Right BTW +k for all your insightful posts

Ommadawn

Curry quietly at 9-0. Gordon looms on October 3rd.

Mr.Right

Curry is 9-0-0 with 10 games remaining and not one of the 19 games will be against a regionally ranked team in my estimation unless Gordon gets ranked. What happens if they finish 19-0-0 and lose in the CCC tournament? They will most likely have a SOS of .510-.520 if lucky.

4231CenterBack

Endicott is already regionally ranked and they're pretty good....at least it's the best Endicott team that I've ever seen. Gordon should be regionally ranked next week after easily beating #4 Eastern Connecticut, and then if all goes according to plan, beating number #6 Wentworth this Saturday.

Mr.Right

I am not talking NSCAA ranked I am talking the committee rankings the last 3 weeks of the year. Anytime I mention regionally ranked that is what I am referring to

ECSUalum

ECSU comes back after the disaster at Gordon with a win over conference rival WCSU 4-1 in Willimantic, Xavier Doran with a hat trick, Tyler Jones with another. 

UM Boston destroys U Southern Maine, Pedro DaSilva with 4 goals, USM had back-up GK in goal and had major problems, a couple just slipping through his hands!  Anyone up against UMB will have to deal with the special technical skills of forwards Sr. DaSilva, Sr. Teixiera, Jr. Barros, and midfielders So. Kang and Fr. Kenaway.  29 goals scored to date.
A solid defense centered around Juniors 6'2"Pedro De Carvalho, and  6'1"Arlindo Goncalves will be tough to score against, giving up just 3 goals in 8 games.
ECSU will have to play a superior game to beat the Beacons on Oct 10 and for the LEConference
see highlights below:
http://www.beaconsathletics.com/sports/m-soccer/2015-16/releases/20150926vpp5hj

lastguyoffthebench

New England Region Week 3 Projections:

1. Amherst (4)     6-0
2. Brandeis (15)    7-1
3. Tufts      (19)    5-1
4. MA-Boston (RV) 7-0
5. ECSU                7-1-1
6. WPI                  8-1-1
7. Gordon             6-2
8. MIT                  6-1
9. Endicott            6-1-1
10.Wheaton          7-3

Off Pitch

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on September 29, 2015, 09:27:51 AM

New England Region Week 3 Projections:

1. Amherst (4)     6-0
2. Brandeis (15)    7-1
3. Tufts      (19)    5-1
4. MA-Boston (RV) 7-0
5. ECSU                7-1-1
6. WPI                  8-1-1
7. Gordon             6-2
8. MIT                  6-1
9. Endicott            6-1-1
10.Wheaton          7-3

Not bad.  Gordon and Wheaton will not make it and the bottom couple of spots will be teams with fewer losses or stronger schedules --- two of Bates (5-1-1), Springfield (7-1), Wesleyan (4-2) or Conn (5-2).

lastguyoffthebench

Definitely could see Bates cracking the top 10.  I could be overvaluing Gordon's W over ECSU, but I still see them getting ranked.