D3 proposals at the 2016 NCAA Convention

Started by Ron Boerger, December 28, 2015, 11:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ron - that is inexcusable... get some time off so we can talk some IT stuff because I am starting to hit some challenges even at my home. LOL

In reality... understand. Take it easy yourself.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 09, 2016, 12:25:07 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 08, 2016, 10:15:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 08, 2016, 06:49:43 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 08, 2016, 05:30:51 PM
For any going to San Antonio for the NCAA meeting, my favorite dining experience in San Antonio is Mi Tierra's,  for breakfast.

I like the Huevos Rancheros!  Plenty of cholesterol!  Fewer crowds at breakfast but a breakfast that will... as they say... stick to your bones (and arteries too.)

Are doctors supposed to give such heart-unfriendly advice?! :o
Walking from the Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center, it is about 1.1 miles one way.

If you generously add the picante sauce, the jalapenos will cut the fat and kill the bad stuff! ;)

I'm tempted to switch from my current doctor to you, but her office is a thousand or so miles closer! ;D

(Though I can't handle the really hot stuff.  I won a jalpeno eating contest in college, but it was a Pyrrhic victory. ::))
I am flattered. Every family needs a good gynecologist.   ;)

http://www.uthealth.org/physician-finder?alpha=T

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 12, 2016, 12:17:33 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 09, 2016, 12:25:07 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 08, 2016, 10:15:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 08, 2016, 06:49:43 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 08, 2016, 05:30:51 PM
For any going to San Antonio for the NCAA meeting, my favorite dining experience in San Antonio is Mi Tierra's,  for breakfast.

I like the Huevos Rancheros!  Plenty of cholesterol!  Fewer crowds at breakfast but a breakfast that will... as they say... stick to your bones (and arteries too.)

Are doctors supposed to give such heart-unfriendly advice?! :o
Walking from the Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center, it is about 1.1 miles one way.

If you generously add the picante sauce, the jalapenos will cut the fat and kill the bad stuff! ;)

I'm tempted to switch from my current doctor to you, but her office is a thousand or so miles closer! ;D

(Though I can't handle the really hot stuff.  I won a jalpeno eating contest in college, but it was a Pyrrhic victory. ::))
I am flattered. Every family needs a good gynecologist.   ;)

http://www.uthealth.org/physician-finder?alpha=T

Classic!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

David Collinge

Hey, don't make fun of Ms. Ypsi. She means well.

Ron Boerger

Proposal 1: Dues Increase to $2K for schools, $1k for conferences
455-18-2 ADOPTED

Proposal 2: Electronic Transmissions
Sections A&B divided
263-192-9

Proposal 2: Electronic Transmissions Sections A&B (Social Media Communication)
106-365-2 FAILS

Proposal 2: Electronic Transmissions Section C (deregulate publicity legislation)
62-410 FAILS

Proposal 3: Football Nontraditional Segment (14 days spring training, 3 days in pads)
154-232-88 FAILS

Proposal 4: Off Ice Training (Ice Hockey, obv)
223-45-185 ADOPTED

Proposal 5: S-A Only Weight Facilities and Reservations (SA self-guided use of weight facilities in offseason; allow strength coaches to reserve facilities for voluntary workouts)
409-53-6 ADOPTED

Proposal 6: Institutional Fundraisers Involving Athletics Ability
333-128-6 ADOPTED

Proposal 7: Contact Restrictions at Specified Sites, Exception for On-Campus Contact
461-3 ADOPTED

Proposal 8: Elimination of Reinstatement Requirement, Use of Banned Drugs (don't have to apply for reinstatement after fulfilling terms of drug-related suspension)
452-14 ADOPTED

Proposal 9: Conference AQ Requirements for Provisional, Reclassifying Members (schools in 3d/4th year of reclassifying count towards # of conf participants)
418-44-3 ADOPTED

Proposal 10: Minimum Participants for Women's Golf, Sponsorship (team minimum of 4 participants, not 5)
423-21-21 ADOPTED

tweisman5

So with the spring football proposal voted down, what exactly is the current setup like for coaches during the spring? Are football athlete only allowed to participate in strength conditioning or is there some allowance for on-field instruction?

Also, what does the proposal for allowing student athlete reserved strength training proposal change from what is currently allowed?
Go Mustangs!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 16, 2016, 10:50:20 AM

Proposal 9: Conference AQ Requirements for Provisional, Reclassifying Members (schools in 3d/4th year of reclassifying count towards # of conf participants)
418-44-3 ADOPTED

Proposal 10: Minimum Participants for Women's Golf, Sponsorship (team minimum of 4 participants, not 5)
423-21-21 ADOPTED

Prop 9...

which conferences might benefit from this?

ASC-Football?
Empire 8 baseball?

Please advise (and sorry that I am not up-to-date on this one. )

Prop 10.

Great!  Makes sense!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Sorry... haven't been available as I am always very busy at the NCAA Convention and the best time to check these boards is at night when I get back to my room... but it's late and I really need to sleep because everything at the convention starts REALLY early. Of course, right now I am on a plane back to Baltimore and need to get Hoopsville squared away... but I will try and get back to some of the items asked already in the near future.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 29, 2015, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 28, 2015, 01:58:49 PM
As an ASC fan, I hope that the year-3/year-4 provisional/re-classifying measure passes. (I hope we can see the roll call of that vote.)

The final roll call votes for all proposals should be available on the D3 convention site, where there are line items for "voting grid" and "final roll call vote report":

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/2016-division-iii-convention-resources

For those interested, the final roll call votes have been posted (and have probably been up for a while):

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016DIII_Convention_Final_Roll_Call_Vote_Report_20160121.pdf

I didn't realize that conferences got votes; makes sense given that they pay dues :-)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 22, 2016, 09:49:43 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 29, 2015, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 28, 2015, 01:58:49 PM
As an ASC fan, I hope that the year-3/year-4 provisional/re-classifying measure passes. (I hope we can see the roll call of that vote.)

The final roll call votes for all proposals should be available on the D3 convention site, where there are line items for "voting grid" and "final roll call vote report":

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/2016-division-iii-convention-resources

For those interested, the final roll call votes have been posted (and have probably been up for a while):

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016DIII_Convention_Final_Roll_Call_Vote_Report_20160121.pdf

I didn't realize that conferences got votes; makes sense given that they pay dues :-)
I have done my best to run the numbers on Prop #3 (Spring Football)

I get these tallies:                    FOR / AGAINST/  ABSTAIN /NOT VOTING

Football school                         103       130               4            2
Football conference                    10          14              2             0     
Non-football school                   38           78              76            2             
Non-football conference              3            10              1            1

TOTAL                                      154         232           88  ABSTENTIONS AND NOT-VOTING           

jknezek

Not a real close vote. You'd basically need all football schools and conferences to unanimously agree to flip the outcome.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: jknezek on January 23, 2016, 12:24:26 AM
Not a real close vote. You'd basically need all football schools and conferences to unanimously agree to flip the outcome.
I don't think that's really true. Had just 40 institutions that voted against instead voted for, it would have been 194-192 in favor
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Ralph Turner

FOR        AGAINST  PERCENTAGE FOR

Football school                         103       130           44.2%
Football conference                    10          14           42.9%

i believe that the more instructive stat is that the number of football playing conferences and schools seem to reflect the difference in opinion in D3 about the "off-season" and the student-athlete. Those are virtually identical percentages.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Someone said it to me, I can't remember where, but I agree with it... keep in mind there is a strong percentage of schools that don't want non-traditional seasons at all. Considering that say 20-25% are already voting against any non-traditional season to begin with, football already has a very large hill to climb.

No... the vote wasn't close at all. That vote basically said one thing: stop bring this up in it's current form. Let's be honest, the different in last year's bill and this year's was minute. If they want four more total practices (12 to 16) along with pads, helmets, etc. they have to come up with a better plan. Concerns are serious when it comes to not only player safety (more hitting), manpower (athletic trainers and others), facilities (making sure fields and equipment are set), along with other items. Schools who are voting against this, including some vocal football programs, are not doing this to be difficult... they have problems with the plan.

It is also telling that a former New England Patriot player who played in the Super Bowl and is now an AD at a Massachusetts school (sorry, forgetting name and location right this moment), speaks up AGAINST the plan especially saying that if coaches can't teach proper technique and evaluate players without pads that they basically should learn to be better coaches... the fight is very much uphill. The NFL is doing away more and more with padded practices and while the game may not be as high-quality as it used to me... it has less to do with pads and more about trying to make a highlight hit or catch.

Football can keep trying, but the membership is telling them either stop or find a better idea than what you have come up with the last few years. Plain and simple.