FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Scots13 on August 17, 2017, 03:49:22 PM
So...
out of 50 states, only 36 have D3
and..
of those 36 that have D3, 13 are led by D3.

36% of the footprint is awesome, especially since there are four divisions (FBS, FCS, D2, D3).
+1!

GillCJ1

ASC Preseason Awards/Poll
http://www.ascsports.org/news/2017/8/18/umhb-preseason-favorite-in-football.aspx
http://cruathletics.com/news/2017/8/18/football-picked-to-win-asc-josey-and-adams-claim-individual-honors.aspx

1. Mary Hardin-Baylor (27 of the 30 first-place votes and a total of 297 points)
2. Hardin-Simmons (3 remaining first-place votes and 272 points)
3. East Texas Baptist (214 total points)
4. Sul Ross State (201 points )
5. Louisiana College (156 points)
6. Southwestern [affiliate member] (129 points)
7. Texas Lutheran [affiliate member] (126 points)
8. McMurry (122 points)
9. Belhaven (82 points)
10. Howard Payne (52 points)

Preseason Offensive POTY - T.J. Josey (UMHB)
Preseason Defensive POTY - Haston Adams (UMHB)
Preseason Special Teams POTY - Alex Bell (HSU)

Most of this lines up with my own thoughts, though I can see an argument made for ETBU QB Dru Smith.  He's easily the best returning signal caller in the conference.

Edit - cleared up a minor discrepancy.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

ETBUnewbie

Preseason Offensive POTY - T.J. Josey (UMHB)
Preseason Defensive POTY - Haston Adams (UMHB)
Preseason Special Teams POTY - Alex Bell (HSU)

Most of this lines up with my own thoughts, though I can see an argument made for ETBU QB Dru Smith.  He's easily the best returning signal caller in the conference.

Thanks for mentioning Dru Smith!  Glad to know someone sees it!

Kelly Boggs

Josey was not picked as POTY as a QB, but rather as a WR. He was almost uncoverable last year, especially late in the season. It remains to be seen how he will transition back to QB (he was recruited as a QB and played that position as a freshman), though I believe his potential is incredible. IMO, TJ could be as good, if not better, than Blake Jackson. Josey is an incredible athlete. Jackson probably has the edge in quickness, but TJ is bigger, stronger, just as fast and had a strong and accurate arm when he was a freshman. Time will tell.

Rumor is there is a transfer QB that could factor into the mix before the season is over. If that happens, things could get very interesting and exciting for CRU Nation.

What impressed me about ETBU's Smith last season against UMHB was his toughness. He took a pretty good beating against The CRU last year, but he kept fighting.
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

DFWCrufan

Great Insights KB - On first glance I think TJ would be the first choice, very much as quick a player as Blake and as strong an athlete, TJ and his athleticism on the wide out would be missed, but I think it is very interesting the Coach seems to draw alot of QBs, after all they are the good hands people...
If Zane is still at UMHB he has the height (6'4") helps, not a quick as TJ but a good arm, Kyle Jones was in for a few snaps last season and I didn't get to see him in JV play so I can't make any assessment. There is a new young freshman QB that was highly sought after, but I think TJ would be the go to guy this season, and that bodes well for the CRU. Plus with Tj taking the snaps and Merkeith on the run, that is a lethal combination so preseason, I think the Crunation has a good strong side to back. There is a big blinking target on the Cru this season saying "Beat me" and alot of people who would love to see the Cru implode, we gotta be behind our guys stronger than ever this season.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Kelly Boggs

Twenty days and counting until UMHB kicks off the 2017 season against Sul Ross in Belton. Go CRU!

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

DFWCrufan

Video with TJ Josey on his Pre-season Offensive Player of the year bid, and Yes, TJ is going to be in the QB position.... That is a very good development, I am liking this lineup so far from the bits we have seen, Kris Brown looks to be back, Merkeith Miller, and Bryce Wilkerson are some of the known offensive and defensive talent back for 2017, and that is outstanding as well as Haston Adams

http://www.cruathletics.com/index.aspx?path=football

Kelly Boggs

Great job, as always, on Kickoff Pat and company! Really well done!

Thanks!

DFWCrufan

Already absorbed Kickoff...Interesting take on Sul Ross...I would think Southwestern would be the spoiler out there, and actually i think SW given their play in the past and now they have gone through a senior class in rotation would do better then Belhaven, but we will see that is what makes pre season so much fun.

CruFrenzy

Excellent article by Tyler Aston breaking down the defensive approaches of UMHB and Wisconsin Oshkosh. Great read, guy knows his stuff.
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: DFWCrufan on August 22, 2017, 02:38:36 PM
Already absorbed Kickoff...Interesting take on Sul Ross...I would think Southwestern would be the spoiler out there, and actually i think SW given their play in the past and now they have gone through a senior class in rotation would do better then Belhaven, but we will see that is what makes pre season so much fun.

I think Year 5 of a new program is more often a step backwards, and since they're also moving into a harder conference, I think that makes the big dip more likely.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Kelly Boggs

My two-cents worth after last night's scrimmage/game.

CRU Nation, we have a QB! TJ Josey looked really good. He made good decisions, threw the ball with velocity and, for the most part, accuracy and ran like a beast. Rest assured, the UMHB offense is in good hands with Josey at the helm. There will be NO drop off at QB for The CRU!

Overall, UMHB played well. The CRU is very much a work in progress, but considering they've been practicing - without the benefit of two-a-days - for only 10 days, they looked okay. The start of the game was delayed due to lightning, so I left with The CRU up 42-13 at halftime. The defensive line looked good at times but needs to be more consistent. LBs need some work, but they are all fresh faces in the starting line-up. The secondary was steady, but like the D-line needs consistency. It will all come together with time.

The offense, like the D, needs to be more consistent. Receivers can all fly and get open but had a few drops last night.  O-line was good, but again, needs to become more consistent. Markieth Miller had some good runs. Tevin Muse - transfer from Tyler JC (who was headed to UTEP but somehow took a detour and wound up at UMHB) will be a solid back-up at QB. Physically he has all the tools, he just needs to get more comfortable with the offensive scheme. Bryce Wilkerson was a blur returning kickoffs, punts and catching passes. If Wilkerson's season is anything like last night, he is going to be a nasty thorn in every opponent's side.

UMHB still has a lot of work to do and two weeks to prepare for the opener with Sul Ross. This team has the potential to be another very good team in a long line of good UMHB teams. Perhaps, most important, TJ Josey has the potential to be a very, very good QB - and I mean very good. Time will tell just how good the 2017 CRU and Josey will become; I'm looking forward to watching their progress.

UP with the PURPLE!

DFWCrufan

Outstanding news... Good to hear about a backup QB Tevin Muse, that one came out of the blue. Haston Adams had mentioned how much it is going to take filling the shoes of one Tedrick Smith, but what I appreciate about Coach Fred is his take on that, making the statement "they are all players with their own talents and ways of getting it done, we will capitalize on that" and the staff are not trying to put the incoming players into some sort of mold from previous team/s. Your assessment that there is some work to be done fits that point of view, I think we are all looking forward to the 2017 team, it won't be the 2016 team but I believe it will be just as dynamic and incredible in it's own way. Looking to see TJ lead this Cru... Can't wait!

GillCJ1

Thanks for the impressions from last night's scrimmage.  Glad to hear that TJ looked solid.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

BlazeofGlory

Belhaven defeated Rhodes 39-10 in a scrimmage at Rhodes tonight.

Rhodes had a 7-3 record last year and defeated Belhaven's opening opponent, Millsaps, in the final game of the season last year.

Passing game looked good in the scrimmage. McEachern, the UTEP transfer can sling it in the Air Raid. Defense looked more solid but still lacks depth. Can't lose 7 starters in the first two weeks like last year.

Blazers will probably start 2-2. Millsaps and Howard Payne are definite winnable games. TLU and ETBU on the road are probably losses. The next two are interesting - McMurry and Southwestern. They aren't going to beat UMHB or Hardin Simmons, but that have LC and Sul Ross at home. A 5-5 record (or better if they can pull an upset) is not out of the question if they stay healthy.