D 3 softball

Started by oldNorse, April 10, 2009, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justafan12

Rowan scores 1 in top of 14th.

Caz Bombers

MIT loads the bases with nobody out in the bottom of the 14th and strands them all. Rowan LF with a great throw to the plate to gun down the tying run. Profs win and head to the supers.

Hats off to MIT on the effort.

justafan12

Rowan wins 7-6.  MIT had bases loaded no outs and had runner thrown out at home trying to score on a sac fly to left.  Not smart. 

justafan12

I have seen several arguments on this board and others about softball rankings and the fact that the NFCA poll is not very good.  Same with the NCAA regional rankings.  So I listed out below how each one did after regionals by who moved on.

NCAA regional rank of teams that advanced:

Atlantic - 2,3,4,9 
Central - 1
East - 2
Great Lakes - 1,4
Midwest - 1
New England - 1,10
Northeast - 1,2
West - 2,3

NFCA poll rank of teams that advanced:

I would call that a tie.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: deiscanton on May 13, 2019, 03:52:40 PM
Super Regionals

1.) Emory at Lynchburg
2.) SUNY Geneseo at Trine
3.) Carthage at Illinois Wesleyan
4.). UW- La Crosse at St Thomas (MN)
5.). Texas Lutheran at Linfield

Host TBD--

6.). Randolph-Macon vs Christopher Newport
7.). Ithaca v Williams
8.). Rowan vs Eastern Connecticut-- updated as of 5:30 PM ET.

CNU and Ithaca will host. Rowan-ECSU still TBA. EDIT: Rowan at Eastern Connecticut.

justafan12

Surprised that Rowan not hosting.  I looked at their website to find a picture of their facilities and there was not one.  That usually means they don't have a nice field. 

EC field looks nice.

http://gowarriorathletics.com/facility_photos/softball_field_raw_3675.JPG

Caz Bombers

Quote from: justafan12 on May 14, 2019, 12:10:08 PM
Surprised that Rowan not hosting.  I looked at their website to find a picture of their facilities and there was not one.  That usually means they don't have a nice field. 

EC field looks nice.

http://gowarriorathletics.com/facility_photos/softball_field_raw_3675.JPG

based on Google Maps, Rowan facility similar to ECSU seating-wise. ECSU has lights, and I don't think their neck of the woods has taken quite as much rain as South Jersey has recently so the field might be more playable.

deiscanton

Quote from: deiscanton on May 13, 2019, 03:52:40 PM
Super Regionals

1.) Emory at Lynchburg
2.) SUNY Geneseo at Trine
3.) Carthage at Illinois Wesleyan
4.). UW- La Crosse at St Thomas (MN)
5.). Texas Lutheran at Linfield

Updated Tuesday, May 14, 2019--

6.). Randolph-Macon at Christopher Newport
7.). Williams at Ithaca
8.). Rowan at Eastern Connecticut-- updated as of 5:30 PM ET. Monday and Tuesday afternoon for host site.

Thanks for the updates from other posters, I have modified my original post based on the newly received information to reflect all host sites.

Super Regionals will be played Friday and Saturday, with Sunday as the rain date.  If a super regional host has a no play on Sunday policy, then the super regional will be concluded on Saturday with rainout criteria determining the winner if the super regional cannot be completed.

GameBall14

Big Day with the completion of Supers..St Thomas has already qualified for Tyler. Good luck to all the teams.

Caz Bombers

Eastern Connecticut sweeps Rowan to punch ticket #2.

Trine, CNU and Williams are all drawing very near to sweeping their series.
EDIT: Trine and Williams take care of Geneseo and Ithaca in 2 games each. Christopher Newport has hit a snag as Randolph-Macon has come back to tie game 2; looking like extra innings here.

hoopstermom

Randolph-Macon sweeps both games today with CNU, 4-3 in 8 innings in first game and 4-3 again in the winner take all game.

Congratulations to the Yellow Jackets!!  This will be their first appearance in the World Series.

Mr. Ypsi

In an all-CCIW super regional, IWU swept Carthage today, 1-0 and 4-1, to advance to the WS.  Ally Wiegand (23-3) won both games, yielding 3 hits and zero runs in 11 innings.  If she isn't named first-team AA, I'm demanding a recount! ;D

Caz Bombers

World Series (I'm still calling it that, IDC IDC) opening round matchups

St. Thomas vs. Eastern Connecticut
Texas Lutheran vs. Williams
Illinois Wesleyan vs. Trine
Emory vs. Randolph-Macon

justafan12

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 18, 2019, 06:30:19 PM
In an all-CCIW super regional, IWU swept Carthage today, 1-0 and 4-1, to advance to the WS.  Ally Wiegand (23-3) won both games, yielding 3 hits and zero runs in 11 innings.  If she isn't named first-team AA, I'm demanding a recount! ;D

It's not always about stats, it is based on who is on the committee.

justafan12

I believe in 2018 NCAA finally said they would reseed the final 8 teams for D3 after SR.  Not sure the criteria used for this but it looks like St. Thomas got the #1 seed and Emory got the #2.  I am guessing at this since they both are playing the lower ranked teams in E. Connecticut and Randolph-Macon.  Somehow two numbers seeds in Illinois Wesleyan and Trine are playing each other.