MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

GU1999

I kinda just thought this guy was going to end up at Westminster.  But Logan Dorethy goes to Hannibal Lagrange. 

I will not miss his career average 40.25 ppg and 11.25 rpg against my panthers.  161 points in 4 games v. GU.  Wow. 

Good luck LD at Hannibal Lagrange.  http://www.hlgtrojans.com/roster/26/1/5204.php

y_jack_lok

^^^ Hannibal, MO is one hour south of his hometown of Hamilton, IL. Fulton, MO is ninety minutes farther away. Hannibal-LaGrange also appears to be less expensive than Westminster. As an NAIA school HLGU could be offering some amount of athletic scholarship.

GU1999

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 25, 2020, 07:19:28 PM
^^^ Hannibal, MO is one hour south of his hometown of Hamilton, IL. Fulton, MO is ninety minutes farther away. Hannibal-LaGrange also appears to be less expensive than Westminster. As an NAIA school HLGU could be offering some amount of athletic scholarship.

Closer to home and less $ > T-Tops skull, his old coach and Henry Iba's ghost in the gym*. 

*I know Iba didn't play in the Historic Westminster Gymnasium having graduated in 1928, the year before it was constructed.

WUPHF

Also, the NAIA has been more upbeat about the possibility of a season, so depending on when he committed, that may have been a factor.

y_jack_lok

Webster roster is posted -- eight returning players, 15 newcomers (12 freshmen, three transfers).

https://websterathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

y_jack_lok

WUPHF

Westminster has an updated roster.

13 newcomers including 3-4 transfers from MacMurray and another 2-3 transfers.

http://wcbluejays.com/sports/mbkb/2020-21/roster

WUPHF

y_jack_lok

^^^ There's a great video interview with Coach Bunch included in that article.

GU1999

The Bunch interview was great as always.  I Love Bunch interviews.  Last years presser at the NCAAs was epic.

Unfortunately, the list and the methodology used to derive the list is fundamentally flawed. 

For example, the guy with the most assists (third all-time SLIAC) and the guy with the most steals (second all-time SLIAC) played all four years of his career in this decade and is not on the list.  Fun fact, its the same guy.  He also led his team to 54 conference wins in his 4 seasons (winning the league 3 times).  He also had 1400+ points and a career 2.5 a/to. 

Any all decade list that doesn't include GU's  Johari Dix is so flawed in its construction that it is rendered devoid of meaning. 

GU1999

y_jack_lok

^^^ Yes, the methodology seemed a bit limited. Stats achieved playing in The System seem harder to evaluate, though -- at least to me.