MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoPerry

duckfan41

Quote from: GoPerry on February 19, 2019, 11:15:10 AM
All CCIW Team:   https://cciw.org/sports/2019/2/18/MBB_0218192558.aspx

Congratulations to all recipients of the honors.

Thankful that the fierce MOP debate can finally come to an end 😂

Yogao

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 18, 2019, 10:04:29 PM
Actually, I misspoke. I mixed him up with Nolan Ebel, who's never won the award. Rose won it three times last season.

Aston Francis ends his career with 16 of 'em -- three as a sophomore, four as a junior, and nine this season.

When is the last time an outright CCIW champion didn't have a single player of the week award winner?  The combination of team ball and depth where no Augie starter averaged more than 30 minutes a game, and only 6 different players winning the award had to play had to play a role. Not to mention having to compete against a top candidate for national player of the year every week. 

GoPerry

Quote from: duckfan41 on February 19, 2019, 11:36:11 AM

Yeah, not that fierce.  Worst kept secret in the league by season's end.  However, if not for Francis, it would definitely have been a very fierce debate for MOP between Ebel, Rose and Raridon.

voxelmhurst

Quote from: GoPerry on February 19, 2019, 10:38:56 AM
Elmhurst @ Wheaton:

On a serious note:  For those watching tonight, a prime story line will be how much EC Coach Baines again employs the box and one (with a few variations) on Francis and if Coach Schauer has made the necessary adjustments.  This will no doubt call on someone like Adom, Peters, Anthony or Spencer to step up on offense.  The Thunder had some difficulty with it two weeks ago which held Francis to 22 pts on only 13 shots(although he did hit the game winner).  Jake Rhode did not have a great game either and I expect him to be much more active tonight.  And don't double Jeremy Ireland off Derek Dotlich because he'll kill you from trey.

Once again, it's a game Wheaton needs to have like most are this time of year.

Wheaton has made some good adjustments vs Elmhurst in their 2 regular season games. Elmhurst led by 5 at halftime of the game in Elmhurst before Wheaton went off for 58 second half points. Elmhurst led by 8 in the second half at Wheaton before losing the lead and game. The frustrating thing this year for Elmhurst has been how many close games they've dropped on the road. (3 losses on the road by a combined 11 points to the CCIW's Top 3 teams), and while they certainly have talent, it's clear that finishing the game strong has been an issue for them, especially on the road.

Elmhurst will need an all hands on deck performance tonight.

duckfan41

Quote from: GoPerry on February 19, 2019, 12:21:58 PM
Quote from: duckfan41 on February 19, 2019, 11:36:11 AM

Yeah, not that fierce.  Worst kept secret in the league by season's end.  However, if not for Francis, it would definitely have been a very fierce debate for MOP between Ebel, Rose and Raridon.

Was more of a playful quip to Q than anything else lol

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Yogao on February 19, 2019, 11:40:45 AM
Actually, I misspoke. I mixed him up with Nolan Ebel, who's never won the award. Rose won it three times last season.

Aston Francis ends his career with 16 of 'em -- three as a sophomore, four as a junior, and nine this season.

When is the last time an outright CCIW champion didn't have a single player of the week award winner?  The combination of team ball and depth where no Augie starter averaged more than 30 minutes a game, and only 6 different players winning the award had to play had to play a role. Not to mention having to compete against a top candidate for national player of the year every week.

In 2015-16 Augustana won the league outright and didn't win a single POTW award. You've basically answered the question as to why, although there was not one single player, a la Aston Francis, who dominated the POTW award that season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Kienan Baltimore was jobbed by the coaches. He was a clear-cut first-teamer. He was the only player in the league who averaged 20 ppg who didn't wear an orange #1 on his home jersey, and in fact he was well above that mark at 21.6 ppg, over two points a game higher than third-place Brady Rose. Baltimore also finished in the top ten in both rebounds and assists, joining Connor Raridon as one of only two players in the league who appear in the top ten in each of the three main statistical categories, and he likewise appears on a significant number of other statistical leaderboards. He's obviously the second-best forward in the league after Raridon, and he should be properly recognized as such. No offense to either Pierson Wofford or to Matt Cappelletti, but one of them should've been on the second team and Baltimore should've taken his place on the first team. (I would've moved Wofford down to second; Augie's dominance isn't terribly damaged by having 2-and-2 rather than 3-and-1.)

This seems to me to be a case of the coaches refusing to budge from their intractable insistence upon rewarding teams at the top and punishing teams at the bottom, regardless of individual merit. Something obviously sticks in their collective craw about slotting someone from a 3-13 team on the All-CCIW first team, never mind the fact that he actually deserves it. The interesting thing is that this traditional way of doing things is in stark contrast to what the women's basketball coaches are doing now, which is selecting their All-CCIW team strictly upon individual merit, standings be damned.

Also, which coach left Jake Rhode off of his ballot for first team? I can't believe that there is a head coach in this league who isn't an astute enough basketball mind to recognize that Rhode is an obvious first-teamer, especially since Elmhurst finished tied for fifth and thus doesn't need to be "punished" the way that they punished Baltimore for wearing a Carthage uniform. I hope that this wasn't another case of a coach using his All-CCIW ballot to exercise a personal vendetta against a player, the way that Bosko did to Juwan Henry two years ago. Honestly, sometimes the CCIW coaching fraternity can be ridiculously petty.

Otherwise, I have no issues with their selections. The coaches did the right thing by putting Luke Peters on the second team, in spite of his relative lack of scoring. And I don't have a problem with Blaise Meredith getting picked for what was probably the last second-team spot selected rather than Toby Marek. NPU had an absolutely wretched season, and doesn't deserve a spot under the pick-them-by-the-standings rationale. And as fine a season as Toby had in the midst of the mess that was the 2018-19 Vikings, he nevertheless didn't distinguish himself enough to warrant a protest that someone else got that last second-team slot rather than him.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

mwunder

Quote from: mwunder on February 19, 2019, 02:11:30 PM

Baltimore gets jobbed.

I thought of other verbs there, but I went with the most family friendly one I could think of.

Yogao

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 19, 2019, 01:41:18 PM
Quote from: Yogao on February 19, 2019, 11:40:45 AM

In 2015-16 Augustana won the league outright and didn't win a single POTW award. You've basically answered the question as to why, although there was not one single player, a la Aston Francis, who dominated the POTW award that season.

I admit I was kind of lazy, but I didn't think it would have been so recent. Interesting though Francis has more player of the weeks this January (4) than Augustana has this decade (3).   Hunter Hill has one December of 14, and 2 guys Kyle Nelson and Bryant Voiles in the 10-11 season.

mwunder

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 19, 2019, 02:12:55 PM

Kienan Baltimore was jobbed by the coaches. He was a clear-cut first-teamer. He was the only player in the league who averaged 20 ppg who didn't wear an orange #1 on his home jersey, and in fact he was well above that mark at 21.6 ppg, over two points a game higher than third-place Brady Rose. Baltimore also finished in the top ten in both rebounds and assists, joining Connor Raridon as one of only two players in the league who appear in the top ten in each of the three main statistical categories, and he likewise appears on a significant number of other statistical leaderboards. He's obviously the second-best forward in the league after Raridon, and he should be properly recognized as such. No offense to either Pierson Wofford or to Matt Cappelletti, but one of them should've been on the second team and Baltimore should've taken his place on the first team. (I would've moved Wofford down to second; Augie's dominance isn't terribly damaged by having 2-and-2 rather than 3-and-1.)

This seems to me to be a case of the coaches refusing to budge from their intractable insistence upon rewarding teams at the top and punishing teams at the bottom, regardless of individual merit. Something obviously sticks in their collective craw about slotting someone from a 3-13 team on the All-CCIW first team, never mind the fact that he actually deserves it. The interesting thing is that this traditional way of doing things is in stark contrast to what the women's basketball coaches are doing now, which is selecting their All-CCIW team strictly upon individual merit, standings be damned.

Also, which coach left Jake Rhode off of his ballot for first team? I can't believe that there is a head coach in this league who isn't an astute enough basketball mind to recognize that Rhode is an obvious first-teamer, especially since Elmhurst finished tied for fifth and thus doesn't need to be "punished" the way that they punished Baltimore for wearing a Carthage uniform. I hope that this wasn't another case of a coach using his All-CCIW ballot to exercise a personal vendetta against a player, the way that Bosko did to Juwan Henry two years ago. Honestly, sometimes the CCIW coaching fraternity can be ridiculously petty.

Otherwise, I have no issues with their selections. The coaches did the right thing by putting Luke Peters on the second team, in spite of his relative lack of scoring. And I don't have a problem with Blaise Meredith getting picked for what was probably the last second-team spot selected rather than Toby Marek. NPU had an absolutely wretched season, and doesn't deserve a spot under the pick-them-by-the-standings rationale. And as fine a season as Toby had in the midst of the mess that was the 2018-19 Vikings, he nevertheless didn't distinguish himself enough to warrant a protest that someone else got that last second-team slot rather than him.

I can't remember a more egregious omission in the past 20 years.  This is absolutely inexplicable.

voxelmhurst

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 19, 2019, 02:12:55 PM

Agree on Baltimore. As for Rhode, I wonder if his lessened scoring in the final 7 games of the season are the cause of his non-unanimous decision. After he almost led the Jays to victory in Rock Island with 33 points, he didn't reach 20 for the rest of the season, including a nightmarish 2-15 night in Wheaton. Judging him on that alone would be short-sighted, but I wonder if that's what caused one or more coaches to leave him off their 1st team list.

Gregory Sager

For a long time I've said that the coaches ought to give out two more awards that some of the other leagues bestow, a Defensive Player of the Year award and a Most Improved Player award.

Here's my selections for 2018-19:

Defensive Player of the Year -- Luke Peters, Wheaton

This was not a no-brainer. Sean Johnson of Carthage ranks second in all of D3 in blocked shots per game, trailing only Jalen McCallum of LaGrange (3.88 to 3.74), and that's not an insignificant stat. Since the CCIW started keeping track of blocked shots in the 2001-02 season, the record for blocked shots per game in league play was 3.00, set by Adam Rue of Augie back in that 2001-02 season. Nobody had averaged more than 2.50 since ... until this season, when Johnson set a new CCIW record with a whopping 3.56, dwarfing the performance of the second-place finisher in that category, NPU's Matt Szuba, who averaged 1.38. Having an eraser who is that effective at the back of your defense is a pretty significant thing; it certainly helps explain why a team that went 3-13 nevertheless finished third in the league in defensive FG%.

But I picked Peters because, while blocked shots (and altering shots, which are a by-product of blocked shots) are a sometimes thing, limiting an opposing team's primary scorer at the point of attack -- which, for a guard, means the perimeter rather than the rim -- is an all-the-time thing. And, as thunder38 outlined last night, that's exactly what Peters did to Brady Rose, Nolan Ebel, and Jake Rhode (not to mention every other team's best perimeter scorer). His defense was highly instrumental in Wheaton finishing third; Carthage, meanwhile, still gave up 74.8 ppg in CCIW play, finishing sixth in that category, and ended up in eighth place despite having the best rim protector outside of the Peach State. Of course, Johnson also got singled out on this board for being nowhere near the rim during the two most crucial failures of the Red Men defense this season -- Ebel's coast-to-coast mad dash to the basket that resulted in Augie's game-winning layup with nine-tenths of a second left at Carver, and Rose's layup in the final few seconds of IWU @ CC -- but that really didn't enter into my consideration.

Most Improved Player -- Tommy Koth, North Central

This wasn't a no-brainer, either. Strictly in terms of numbers, there wasn't a more improved player this season than Toby Marek of NPU. After playing in only 15 games last season and averaging 11 minutes played, with very modest scoring numbers and shooting slashline, Marek started all 25 games this season for the Vikings and led them in scoring at 12 ppg, finishing fifth in the league in overall play with an .846 FT percentage. His field goal and trey shooting percentages were still modest, although improved from his freshman season, but some of that can be attributed to his having to take a lot of bail-out shots at the end of the shot clock for what was by far the league's worst offense. Marek was The Man on both of the only nights worth remembering for North Park fans this season, scoring 29 points in the upset win at North Central and 28 points in the upset win over Wheaton. I also gave some thought to NPU's Veggie Tangen, who went from 3.8 and 2.4 as a part-time starter last season to 10.8 and 3.9 this season in conference play. Koth can't match the achievements of either Viking. But what he lacked in statistical improvement he made up for in terms of actual game situations, and in games that truly mattered in terms of how the league played out. His two games against IWU and his game this past Saturday against EC have already been mentioned, but his ability to rise to the occasion and to be a glue player for the second-place team when the Cardinals needed it the most in the wake of a season-ending injury to the original starter merits his getting this award in my eyes.