BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sader22

Ok so everyone is questioning if the CRU really is a legit team and there is really nothing to say but they are a legit team.  I watched them play 2 weeks ago and they hae the complete package. Defense, Hitting, and a Really good staff.  Not to forget they are 16-4 on the year and #20 in the Nation.  You dont just go 16-4 and get ranked nationally if you are not a legit team.  Wells and Dunaway have done a great job with those kids down there in Belton and nobody should question their talent.  I played through the rough days in Belton and coached for a year there to and this is by far the best team in the last 10 years at UMHB.  They have a kid by the name of Villegas that is probably the best D3 player to come through this conference. 

You say what is in the water down in Belton in previous post, and can I say this what was in the Water in Austin for 5 years with all the monkeys yall had there.  You make fun of Champion for his Eye black and things like and what you guys do not realize is we did those things to make fun of the Deckers and Krogs in our conference.  Not trying to stir any bad blood or anything just simply trying to state a point. 

I look for the CRU to win the West and Dual it out with UT-Tyler in the conference tournament. 

My pick for the weekend is the CRU wins 2 of 3 From McMurry

MCM Gangster

Blackcat00

Hambone went to the game today and was relaying to me that both teams have good hitting, and a decent right handed pitching. UMHB is on a roll and we will see what they can do and not fold like last year.

Sul Ross has a great opening night pitcher and its currently 4-1 CTX in the fourth.

Blackcat00

Whoa, settle down ex Cru coach, Hambone is great friends with Champion and was giving him some old fashion tough love. Lower that blood tempeture and keep your composure ( you are a coach right?) Decker and Krog made a name for themselves in the ASC  so I guess you could say you can look up to those guys for the eyeblack jokes. Anyways your Crew is good to go this year and as far as Vellega or whatever, thats pushing it as far as u stating him the  best player in the conf to come out, but you do have your opinion  Can he hold the likes of Voorhees, Williams and other s jocks of the conference, Hell does that guy pitch or hit, give us some info and we will see through ASC play.

Just_Some_Guy

Ozarks def UT Tyler 6-4

Both teams pitched pretty well, but Ozarks finally get to Cambpell in the 7th.

JSG

Bman3

it does look like UMHB and THE OZARKS are really turning it around this year. i think that the surprise has to go to the Ozarks. what a job these guys have done. i thought UT-Tyler was going to put them back into place this weekend, but i have wrongly underestimated them. but lets all remember, its not who wins the division...its who wins the conference. can't wait until the tournament!

Sader22, when did you play or coach at UMHB? and as for the monkey comment, that was pretty low. you must have been there when those monkeys were kicking the CRU around.

Bman3

as for the Joseph Villegas comment, he is putting up some really nice numbers. but the best player ever to come out of the ASC, dude, come on...really.  he is only a sophomore, lets give him some time and the coaches some time to scout him.

Bman3

Jim Dixon

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Sader22 on March 20, 2008, 08:30:34 PM
there is really nothing to say but they are a legit team.

I guess it depends on your definition of a legit team. Are they a contender in the ASC? Yes, absolutely no doubt. Do I think they're a threat in a Western Regional? No, probably not. Though, everyone knows that anything can happen in those things. That said, I don't think they'll get out of the conference tournament, and I doubt they'll have the resume to earn an at-large bid.

Quote from: Sader22 on March 20, 2008, 08:30:34 PM
I watched them play 2 weeks ago and they havee the complete package. Defense, Hitting, and a Really good staff.

This is where I disagree. It's pretty easy to look like you have the complete package against a team like Sul Ross. I think UMHB is a really good offensive team, though they did struggle against the Ozarks staff in those first two games.

In terms of defense though, they're fielding .942, which isn't very good. The left side of their infield is fielding .904 and .870 respectively. That's pretty awful.

For me, the jury is still out on the staff. A 5.30 ERA isn't all that impressive, but the ASC as a whole isn't very deep on the bump this year. That's something Hambone has consistently alluded to and I definitely agree. Garza is a pretty solid #1, but he hasn't pitched great against the good teams (Ozarks, Hardin Simmons, and now McMurry). I AM starting to like their depth though with Tumlinson seemingly healthy now and throwing well, and the FR Hopper has been pretty good as the number three.

Are they the best team in the West? You could make a very good case for them if they take one of the two from McMurry today.

Quote from: Sader22 on March 20, 2008, 08:30:34 PMNot to forget they are 16-4 on the year and #20 in the Nation.  You dont just go 16-4 and get ranked nationally if you are not a legit team.

National rankings don't mean a whole lot, though Jim Dixon and all the people voting this year have done a better job than the ABCA poll. Again, UMHB has played a pretty weak schedule. That said, I'm very glad that they're ranked. Like everyone else, I think it's about time the ASC starts getting some respect nationally and with three teams ranked it seems as though they finally are.

Taking 2 of 3 from McMurry should help solidify their spot on the rankings.

Quote from: Sader22 on March 20, 2008, 08:30:34 PMThey have a kid by the name of Villegas that is probably the best D3 player to come through this conference. 

I'm a big fan of Villegas and the things he brings to the table, but I feel you're a little premature touting him as the best player in the conference.

For those that don't know here's his stats:
.421 AVG, 11 2B, 5 3B, 5 HR, 22 RBI, .800 SLG, .452 OBP, 7-7 SBs.

He's definitely one of the best offensive players in the conference, and he certainly deserved newcomer of the year over Colton Hermes last year, but like I said let's wait on calling him the best player to come through the entire conference with some of the resumes that some other guys currently have.

JSG

Blackcat00

Concordia defeats Sul Ross 14-4
CTX needs to sweep this series

Beasly goes deep again, where did this guy come from. He has def earned a spot in the lineup and his conference statistics are outstanding.

Just_Some_Guy

UT Tyler defeat Ozarks 2-1. Dixon and Holland both threw well. Holland moved to 6-0 on the year.

Texas Lutheran defeated Howard Payne 5-3
Brad Wesson was the winning pitcher. Robert Conley got the save.

Can't find live stats for the UT Dallas vs. Mississippi game or the McMurry vs. UMHB game.

JSG

hsusid

Schreiner 4, HSU 3 in 11 innings
CTX 11, SRSU 3

hsusid

hsusid

Up-to-date standings going into game three. Game three of these series' are going to be HUGE.

Mary Hardin-Baylor   6-2
Howard Payne   5-3
Concordia   5-3
McMurry   5-3
Schreiner   4-4
Hardin-Simmons   3-5
Texas Lutheran   3-5
Sul Ross State   1-7