MBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by WoosterFAN, January 27, 2005, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: kiltedbryan on February 25, 2019, 01:10:27 PM
Wittenberg draws Emory...on a neutral court at Guilford, who hosts Sewanee. I must say that's quite surprising. Perhaps the Tigers didn't file to host?

That's a terrible draw for the Tigers. Emory is very, very good, much better than the Eagles' #23 ranking indicates.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

URBAN4PREZ

Quote from: kiltedbryan on February 25, 2019, 01:10:27 PM
Wittenberg draws Emory...on a neutral court at Guilford, who hosts Sewanee. I must say that's quite surprising. Perhaps the Tigers didn't file to host?

Wooster hosts a pod, facing Baruch, with Wheaton (Il) and Hanover in the other game. A surprise hosting assignment for Timken Gym, and the Scots first hosting duties since 2014 I believe.

Other hosts in Wooster's quadrant are Augustana, Oswego St, and Marietta. As fantastic50 pointed out on twitter, if hosts swept the first weekend, neither Marietta nor Oswego could make it to overall top-seed Augustana. In that case, Wooster or Marietta could serve as a second-weekend geographical host.

I have it on pretty solid authority that Wittenberg did not apply to host due to a gym conflict.  Take that for what you will as there was no guarantee they would have hosted anyway.  But that may have been costly scheduling conflict considering their draw. 

wally_wabash

Wow.  I mean...just.  Wow.  Would love to know what Croci has to say (off the record) about that. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Dr. Acula

A gym conflict?  What could possibly trump the team that plays in that gym hosting NCAA tourney games??  It has to be a camp or something that can't be moved. 

Wooster Booster

Quote from: imderekpoe on February 25, 2019, 02:48:12 PM
Quote from: fantastic50 on February 25, 2019, 02:46:02 PM
Augustana can't get to Marietta, as even there to Wooster is right at the 500-mile limit.  I think they will need to fly someone if Augustana & either Marietta or Oswego advance but Wooster does not.

Wasn't there a conversation (on another board) that Wooster to Augustana is 500 miles, but Augustana to Wooster was over 500?

Yep, has to do with the one-way circular driveway going into the parking lot at Timken Gym...

fantastic50

Not sure what the NCAA chart says, but I got 495 or 499 (depending on the particular route) via Google Maps.

kiltedbryan

Thinking about this more, this is really the most favorable draw (relative to seeding/resume) I can remember for the Scots. Unexpectedly hosting, with a fair and winnable pod, then with possible second weekend hosting chances thanks to bracket geography. Lots to do before worrying about that, of course, but for a team that is 22-8 all time at home in the NCAAs and 13-20 everywhere else, lucking into a home pod is a tremendous draw.

About those pods: by fantastic50's "best team" rankings:

Wooster #15
Baruch #99

Wheaton #31
Hanover #69

Meanwhile, Wittenberg not only doesn't host even though they ended up GL#1, they get a much tougher draw:

Guilford #24
Sewanee #67

Wittenberg #11
Emory #16

Wittenberg may have to beat two of fantastic50's top #25, one in a true road game, to reach the Sweet Sixteen, while the Scots wouldn't face a team of that caliber until the second weekend.

Wooster Booster

To any Wooster fans:

Prior to the renovation of Timken Gym, the whole side opposite the team benches was general admission seating.  Can anyone tell me if that's still the case, or have some of the lower seats on that south half become reserved during the regular season?  And what about Friday night, all GA on that side, or for that matter, in the whole gym?

Thanks, WB

PS - With no advanced sales, they must be confident that they won't sell out, because they wouldn't want to leave fans at the door, right?

hasanova

Congratulations to Wittenberg on your NCAA berth!  Being in the tournament is always a good thing.

At today's watch party on Guilford's campus, most of us were expecting to travel to Atlanta and face an all Southern field. 

With that said, however, GC is obviously happy to host and would like to welcome the Emory Eagles, the Sewanee Tigers and the Wittenberg Tigers to Greensboro, NC, Guilford College and Ragan Brown Fieldhouse.  As a Guilford alumnus, long time Greensboro resident and President of the Quaker Club (boosters), I'd be happy to answer questions about logistics, parking, restaurants and lodging.  The college and on-campus fieldhouse are located at 5800 W. Friendly Ave, Greensboro, NC 27410.  The campus is in suburban west Greensboro and is easily accessible via I-40, I-73, I-85 and US 220.

Safe travels!

fantastic50

Quote from: Wooster Booster on February 25, 2019, 09:19:38 PM
To any Wooster fans:

Prior to the renovation of Timken Gym, the whole side opposite the team benches was general admission seating.  Can anyone tell me if that's still the case, or have some of the lower seats on that south half become reserved during the regular season?  And what about Friday night, all GA on that side, or for that matter, in the whole gym?

Thanks, WB

PS - With no advanced sales, they must be confident that they won't sell out, because they wouldn't want to leave fans at the door, right?

I believe that it's all GA (though with sections designated for fans of each visiting team) during all post-season play.  Regarding the regular season, the center section on the south side was designed (with nicer seats) to allow for reserved seats there, but I am unsure of whether any were actually sold as season tickets.  The Rebounders are graying, as is our core fan base more broadly, just like in many other D3 hotbeds, so attendance is lower than it was a decade ago.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Each school is alloted a certain number of tickets. I have to check the breakdown again, as I don't have that memorized, but schools are given a certain number of tickets for the arena - and their seats designated in the gym. If a school doesn't use all their tickets, they are returned and sold to general admission. Yes, the home team usually gets a little bit more seats, but not a lot.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

wally_wabash

With the amount of winning Wittenberg has done in Timken in the last two weeks, they should have let Witt host a pod there and put Wooster on a bus to Guilford.   :o
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: wally_wabash on February 26, 2019, 01:54:30 PM
With the amount of winning Wittenberg has done in Timken in the last two weeks, they should have let Witt host a pod there and put Wooster on a bus to Guilford.   :o

Should have let? Wally ... it is understood Witt didn't put in to host.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Wooster Booster

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 26, 2019, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on February 26, 2019, 01:54:30 PM

Should have let? Wally ... it is understood Witt didn't put in to host.

Funniest thing said on this site in 25 years and you missed the humor, thinking he was being serious?  Geeze. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I know Wally pretty well ... I usually pick up on his humor. I wasn't sure he was kidding. :)