FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

Quote from: sjusection105 on October 17, 2019, 07:27:51 AM
This seems to indicate the waters may be a bit muddy for UST Football finding a home. From Tommie Media school/student site.
https://www.tommiemedia.com/news/conferences-dampen-speculation-about-tommie-footballs-future-home/

Wow.  I am quite surprised at the commissioner's statement.  She's never heard of St. Thomas before until now? I find it strange that a commissioner, especially of a football only conference, would not have some basic knowledge (at least names) about the schools in college football at all divisions. But, that is just me, a college football history nut.  Perhaps she is just too busy overseeing the Pioneer League. :).  I was also not impressed with her other statements about the process in general.  Really? Anyone who has been following this saga is aware of the challenges involved; she just reiterated what most already know. Yet, perhaps she is just being cautious overall, taking the "politically correct" road trying to avoid any potential inflammatory comments as the process plays out. ::) :) 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

art76

Quote from: DuffMan on October 17, 2019, 08:25:38 AM
This seems to indicate the waters may be a bit muddy for UST Football finding a home. From Tommie Media school/student site.
https://www.tommiemedia.com/news/conferences-dampen-speculation-about-tommie-footballs-future-home/

QuoteIn an interview Tuesday, Viverito, who has been the commissioner of the Pioneer Football League since 1994 and commissioner of Missouri Valley football since the mid-80s, said she had never heard of St. Thomas before news of its expulsion from the MIAC last spring.

WHAT?!?!  How has she never heard of The Boston College of the Midwest?  :D

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Tommie football squad became an independent D3 team because "there was no room at the inn" in two years? They might have to play many MIAC schools for proximity's sake, end up 10-0 at the end of the season and get the pool B bid? I'm thinking they're thinking along these lines as well. "Wesley of the Mid-West".
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

formerd3db

Quote from: DuffMan on October 17, 2019, 08:22:13 AM
Has anyone heard from MUC57 lately?  He hasn't posted in a while.  :-\

I was wondering about that, too, Duff.  I hope he is okay and just perhaps on a vacation trip somewhere.  He helps keep us all in line/in perspective on these boards!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

wm4

With all due respect, Commissioner Viverito might want to look around the college football landscape a bit and become more aware of what's going on.  You pretty much have to be living under a rock to have not heard of St Thomas and know what was going on with the potential move to D1.

Commissioners of D1 conferences are movers and shakers in the business.  They know what's going on at several levels and across several parts of the country.  They're incredibly informed and knowledgeable. 

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: wm4 on October 17, 2019, 10:34:41 AM

With all due respect, Commissioner Viverito might want to look around the college football landscape a bit and become more aware of what's going on.  You pretty much have to be living under a rock to have not heard of St Thomas and know what was going on with the potential move to D1.

Commissioners of D1 conferences are movers and shakers in the business.  They know what's going on at several levels and across several parts of the country.  They're incredibly informed and knowledgeable.

Or you could actually read the article, before blindly commenting, but I understand that's a stretch these days, especially for a UST guy.   ;D

She said that she hadn't heard of them until the whole MIAC kerfuffle started, which I think is not at all unreasonable.  I would wager that plenty of folks involved in D1 outside of the immediate area had little knowledge of UST before the talks of Tom-toss began.  UST isn't (or at least as a D3 school, wasn't) as big of a deal as it likes to think of itself as being.

"I was not familiar at all, quite frankly, with St. Thomas, until the issue of their membership and their current Division III league was brought up in the national media."

jamtod

If we assume that the stadium Saturday has a 60/40 split of red vs purple, but that St Thomas team has had chances to visit the stadium a few times while SJU should not, is there any homefield advantage in play?

I don't think the 2 hour bus ride for St John's really has much of an impact. Whatever additional purple in the banners/video to give off that home game feel shouldn't make a difference.

wm4

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on October 17, 2019, 10:47:54 AM

Or you could actually read the article, before blindly commenting, but I understand that's a stretch these days, especially for a UST guy.   ;D

She said that she hadn't heard of them until the whole MIAC kerfuffle started, which I think is not at all unreasonable.  I would wager that plenty of folks involved in D1 outside of the immediate area had little knowledge of UST before the talks of Tom-toss began.  UST isn't (or at least as a D3 school, wasn't) as big of a deal as it likes to think of itself as being.

"I was not familiar at all, quite frankly, with St. Thomas, until the issue of their membership and their current Division III league was brought up in the national media."

I did read the article  :) Here's a better statement...as a mover and shaker in college athletics, you pretty much have to have been living under a rock to not know who UST was, given they played a D3 game in an MLB baseball stadium and put 37k in the seats in 2017.  I'd add SJU to that same statement.  Or when ESPN came to SJU for Tommie/Johnnie in 2015.  We're talking about the Pioneer League and MVC, both with a Midwest footprint. 

SUMMIT!!!!!

I'm not surprised at all that she hadn't heard of UST before Tom-toss reared its ugly head. Having lived outside the bubble of the upper Midwest & Minnesota in particular, i realize that a great many people have never heard of UST, SJU or the MIAC. For a huge portion of the US population "Tommie-Johnnie"  is more of a redneck boy's name than a rivalry.

The important thing is that UST's presentation of itself as a potential member to any conference, whether it's the Summit,  Commissioner Viverito's league(s), or any other league needs to tell them "who we are" and sell them that "adding us as a member is beneficial to your league and its members" and i'm convinced that Esten & Co will be able to do that successfully.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

sjusection105

Quote from: SUMMIT? on October 17, 2019, 11:22:40 AM

I'm not surprised at all that she hadn't heard of UST before Tom-toss reared its ugly head. Having lived outside the bubble of the upper Midwest & Minnesota in particular, i realize that a great many people have never heard of UST, SJU or the MIAC. For a huge portion of the US population "Tommie-Johnnie"  is more of a redneck boy's name than a rivalry.

The important thing is that UST's presentation of itself as a potential member to any conference, whether it's the Summit,  Commissioner Viverito's league(s), or any other league needs to tell them "who we are" and sell them that "adding us as a member is beneficial to your league and its members" and i'm convinced that Esten & Co will be able to do that successfully.
Poster formerly known as UST Benchwarmer: you may need another moniker change from SUMMITT? to NSIC?  ::)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Oline89 on October 17, 2019, 09:22:41 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 16, 2019, 10:21:25 PM
Catholic and Georgetown played a series for 20 years when both were at the D-III level, but when Georgetown went I-AA non-scholarship, they dropped the series.

They did play this year, and the result was ugly.  Not sure how it benefited either team

Right. In the intervening 25 years, Georgetown started giving scholarships. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

miac952

Patty seems pleasant  :D.

It's less about appealing to her than it is the members, and I am sure Esten has had at least cursory conversations with Pioneer AD's and institutional leaders. Commissioners in these leagues like prop themselves up, but they are there to keep the lights and their members happy. They are largely empty suits (see Dan McKane).

formerd3db

57Johnnie

Quote from: DuffMan on October 16, 2019, 06:16:31 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on October 16, 2019, 04:12:02 PM
Alright, 57J!  You've convinced me to pick one up after work to see what the fuss is.

You were right.  The "improved" version isn't nearly as good as the original.  :(
Why would they try to fix something that has worked for almost 100 years. You probably weren't around way back when they tried the 'new' Coke.
Don't get me started on pork and beans.  :D

I posted too soon. My local super is advertising Princess Yum Yum pink raspberry beer from the Denver Beer Company.   Really!
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

hazzben

Re: the Commissioner's comments, I think it's way more of an indictment of her than of UST. That's your industry, it's literally your job to have an idea of the schools and teams that surround you, regardless of division. Typically people with a two decade background in football have a strong knowledge of all the teams within the footprint they work in. I get the sense she almost meant it as a dig, but to me I was left questioning her own capabilities.