FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUC57

Happy Fathers Day to all you dads. Hey, I'm one of them.
Let's enjoy our day.  ;D 🍺
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

s e 76

my opinion there will not be a season

formerd3db

Quote from: s e 76 on June 22, 2020, 12:50:22 PM

And you are basing your opinion on what? Every indication so far is that there will be some kind of season in DIII. Are you of the opinion it will not actually start or that it will suddenly be shut down/come to a halt at some point during due to a resurgance/spike in the coronavirus?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

jamtod

Quote from: formerd3db on June 22, 2020, 02:16:49 PM

And you are basing your opinion on what? Every indication so far is that there will be some kind of season in DIII. Are you of the opinion it will not actually start or that it will suddenly be shut down/come to a halt at some point during due to a resurgance/spike in the coronavirus?

I'd hedge that a bit and say that "every indication so far is that schools are preparing for some kind of season"

formerd3db

You and I are on the "same page", jamtod in that regard.  Obviously, many factors are involved that could have some and/or any type of effect on the ultimate sequence of events, whatever that ends up being. 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jamtod on June 22, 2020, 02:20:29 PM

I'd hedge that a bit and say that "every indication so far is that schools are preparing for some kind of season"

This morning Bowdoin announced it will not participate in fall sports.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 22, 2020, 03:51:34 PM

This morning Bowdoin announced it will not participate in fall sports.

Wow.  Pat, in your opinion, how might that affect the other schools in the conference?  Do you think the conference would allow going forward with only some of their schools participating if others decide the same way as Bowdoin?

gordonmann

It is very unlikely Bowdoin will be the only NESCAC school to take that stance.

That conference usually moves as a unit, even when there are dissenting opinions behind the scenes.

Also, Bowdoin's announcement included the statement that their winter sports athletes will not participate in games before January 1st. Bowdoin is a national title contender for the women's basketball title. So this is a big deal.

jamtod

I guess I'll hedge it a bit more and say that "every indication so far is that MOST schools are preparing for some kind of season" while acknowledging that it may not happen and that some schools have already made the decision not to play in the fall.

formerd3db

gordonmann:

Thanks for the follow-up.  This will be interesting to see how the various conferences handle divergent desires.  I have always thought our own MIAA league was always unified, however, I have heard (confidentially, of course) that there have been some rumblings among some of the members.

Jamtod:

Your revision is noted.  Mine is also! :)

skunks_sidekick

Greetings Gents/Ladies/Heathens!

This week is the start of what looks like things "cooking off" in many states.  THIS is what will dictate what happens.  We all are yearning for football and some sort of normalcy.  That SH*#t looks like it isn't coming anytime soon.  Mid-July will be the cut-off/line in the sand/decision time for the NCAA/NFL/and heck maybe even high school football.  23 states seeing a rise today in cases. 

I am back to traveling in the Midwest.  My wife is a germaphobe and is getting antsy about me getting to close to her when I get home.  Oh wait..... :o....maybe that means something else... ;D.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on June 22, 2020, 11:33:43 PM
I am back to traveling in the Midwest.  My wife is a germaphobe and is getting antsy about me getting to close to her when I get home.  Oh wait..... :o....maybe that means something else... ;D.

Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say.  ;)
[  

E.115

s e 76

to much liability for schools in d3 that dont make millions

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: s e 76 on June 23, 2020, 01:02:22 PM
to much liability for schools in d3 that dont make millions

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here (and I might be), but why would the schools be liable? Ultimately, it's the players who will have to decide if they're comfortable assuming the added risk (in addition to the risk you assume every time you take the field!) to play or not. And if enough of them don't want to that you can't field a team...

These players aren't on athletic scholarships, so whether or not they are comfortable playing football this year has no financial impact on them and no impact on their ability to go to school.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)