NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraFD3soccer

Quote from: JimmyPP on December 06, 2023, 04:24:10 PM
Justin Serpone....the Marv Levy of NCAA D3 Soccer! (if you're young and you don't know Coach Levy.....look it up!)

Hmmm. Definite a parallel analogy, except that they did win and that probably contributed to their subsequent success.  When teams succeed and the coach continues, they do get to attract very good talent which may be the case with Amherst. If a kid wants to play, he obviously wants to play for a team that has a shot. Plus Amherst has an excellent academic reputation.  However, how the coach uses (or over uses) the talent is the question. Definitely agree that Amherst should have have won a few more and their style may be the overwhelming factor as to why not.

Tufts is an another example.  Messiah is the best, but they have actual depth and a great reputation.

Hopkins92

If you've been around teams preparing for tournament time with PK "practice," you put those kickers under as much as much stress as possible (loud music, putting the players in a tight arc closing in on the kicker, etc) and you see what guys will do.

It's such a foreign, out of normal run of play activity that sometimes offense-minded players, sometimes even guys that are clinical finishers, just aren't good at it. Defenders and, yes, even goalies are sometimes your best PK takers because they don't over think it and just have a set spot and they whack it there and jog back to their 'mates.

maineman

Hello NESCAC!  Now that the forum is back up is there any newsworthy soccer information you care to share about the conference?

Kuiper

Quote from: maineman on February 23, 2024, 01:40:26 PMHello NESCAC!  Now that the forum is back up is there any newsworthy soccer information you care to share about the conference?

Not only NESCAC news, but Maine NESCAC news:

Noah Riskind resigned from Bates and Ben Brewster from UMass Amherst was hired as his replacement:

https://gobatesbobcats.com/news/2024/2/19/ben-brewster-named-head-mens-soccer-coach-at-bates.aspx

And just today it was announced that Colby has hired Greg Cumpstone from Wesleyan, where he was associate head coach, to be its new head coach.

https://colbyathletics.com/news/2024/2/23/Cumpstone_release.aspx

Newenglander

Quick Spring question - of course having to be different does anyone know the official Spring rules for NESCAC vs all of D3?

smoova

Quote from: Newenglander on February 26, 2024, 05:09:54 PMQuick Spring question - of course having to be different does anyone know the official Spring rules for NESCAC vs all of D3?

I believe it is the same as lacrosse in fall 2023: 10 coach practices.

Newenglander

Quote from: smoova on February 26, 2024, 09:40:25 PM
Quote from: Newenglander on February 26, 2024, 05:09:54 PMQuick Spring question - of course having to be different does anyone know the official Spring rules for NESCAC vs all of D3?

10 vs 24 practices for NESCAC as well as no scrimmage.....I would love to know what percentage of players like the "focus on academics" vs the ability to train......

smoova

Quote from: Newenglander on February 27, 2024, 09:56:22 AM

10 vs 24 practices for NESCAC as well as no scrimmage.....I would love to know what percentage of players like the "focus on academics" vs the ability to train......

In my limited experience, most players greatly appreciate the NESCAC model/limitations and a majority of the juniors use their off-season to do a semester abroad.

Viking

Nice to have you back, d3boards. Thanks to the folks behind the scenes for all the hard work to get the boards up again. Shout out to SimpleCoach as well, who offered an alternative at d3soccer.fans while this board was down -- one of the many ways he contributes to the D3 soccer community.

ED1 and ED2 notifications have gone out and at least one NESCAC program has started to announce incoming first-years and transfers, so it's a good time to share this annual half-baked, incomplete, semi-reliable compilation of reported NESCAC Class of 2024 commitments to date. All the annual warnings apply. Information is from the usual public sources, including websites and social media posts shared by clubs, schools, college soccer news outlets, and individuals, and thus should be taken about as seriously as you'd take anything reported there. The info that's dodgiest by far is player positions; I wouldn't trust that a lick. The main message: This list will change a lot in the months to come as people share additions, new reports emerge, recruits get announced, mistakes get corrected, and the usual embarrassing miscommunications and premature announcements shake out. I'll try to update the list at least once in the next six months.

Additions since I first shared this list at d3soccer.fans are in red.

REPORTED INCOMING NESCAC CLASS OF 2024 RECRUITS AND TRANSFERS

Amherst
Michael Cherico, F, Pateadores SC/Mater Dei HS, CA
Samuel Davis, D/M, Met Oval A/Bronx HS of Science, NY
Enoch Duodu, M, Taft S, Ghana/CT
Trey Sheppard, G, Ohio Premier SC/Olentangy Berlin HS, OH

Bates
Luca Balzano, G, Palm Beach United FC/Benjamin S, FL
Julian Gravereaux, D, New England Surf SC/Phillips A Andover, MA
Geoge Nassar, G, New England Surf SC/Newton North HS, MA
Zachary Perron, M, Lehigh Valley United/Hunterdon Central Regional HS, NJ
Liam Rorke, F, Phillips A Andover, NH/MA

Bowdoin
Arthur Dos Santos, F, Intercontinental FA of New England/Rivers S, MA
Liam Myers, D, Chicago FC United/New Trier HS, IL
Alexander Nicholas, F/M, Bethesda SC/St. John's College HS, MD
Jonathan Perez, G, Hopkins S, CT
Adam Prince, M, Intercontinental FA of New England/Rivers S, MA

Colby
Drew Kogelmann, M, Celtic SC/State College Area HS, PA
Will Kogelmann, D/M, Celtic SC/State College Area HS, PA
Zane Matraji, M, Seacoast United SC/Phillips A Andover, MA
Alec Pentikis, F/M, Woodstock A, NJ/CT
Theo Scott, D, Colorado Rapids YSC/East HS, CO
Stefan Verbeek, M, Eagle FC/Hershey HS, PA

Conn
Dylan Hoke, D/M, Beachside SC/Staples HS, CT
Caleb Huang, F, Boston Bolts SC/Hopkinton HS, MA
Henry Lester, F, Seacoast United SC/Northfield Mount Hermon S, ME/MA
Charlie Riegel, M/D, Suffield A, CT
Thomas Rooney, D, Boston Bolts SC/Newton North HS, MA
Owen Walsh, M, United FA/St. Pius X Catholic HS, GA

Hamilton
Daniel Becker, M/F, North Shore Country Day S, IL
Ignacio Hahn, F/M, White Plains A/Woodstock A, CT
Michael Hehir, D/M, IMG A, HI/FL
Zander Laidlaw, M, Seacoast United SC/Needham HS, MA
Jonah Zaas, D, New England Surf SC/Middlesex S, NC/MA

Middlebury
Leon Brody, G, Black Rock FC/Northwood S, Canada/NY
Antonio Cosentino, D, Boston Bolts SC/Noble and Greenough S, MA
Samuel Dolan, D, Manhattan SC/Collegiate S, NY
JT Federman, D, LA Surf SC/Harvard-Westlake S, CA
Anderson Gardner, F, Spire FC/University S, OH
Keagan Harder, M, Intercontinental FA of New England/Rivers S, MA
Charles Johnson, D, Boston Bolts SC/Rivers S, MA
Quinn Pappendick, M, Boston Bolts SC/Noble and Greenough S, MA

Trinity
Graham Buchanan, D, STA/Taft S, NJ/CT
Chris Connelly, F, Hingham HS, MA
Sam Duncanson, D, transfer from Le Moyne C (Division II→I)
Sebastian Miller, M, New England Surf SC/Bridgton A, MA/ME
Felix Schmidt, G, transfer from NJIT (Division III)
Wangchen Sherpa, M, Cedar Stars A/Little Red S House & Elisabeth Irwin HS, NY
Dieder Wagner, D, Seacoast United SC/Phillips A Exeter, NH

Tufts
Addison Bergin, D, AC Connecticut/Woodstock A, CT
Griffin Bone, D, Intercontinental FA of New England/Rivers S, MA
Ellis Denby, M, Phillips A Andover, MA
Chris Glenney, D, Pennsylvania Classics AC/State College Area HS, PA
Thomas Yanez, M, PDA/Pingry S, NJ

Wesleyan
Sam Adiutori, G, RNY FC, NY
Gabriel Gonzales Davidian, D, Met Oval A/BASIS Independent Manhattan, NY
Patrick Gallagher, M, Taft S, England/CT
Nolan Jacobi, M, Taft S, CT
John Senn-McNally, D, Boston Bolts SC/Northfield Mount Hermon S, MA
Davis Wilmot, M, RNY FC, NY

Williams
Benjamin Brown, D/F, Hotchkiss S, NY/CT
Ali Coleman, F, NEFC/Noble and Greenough S, MA
Kai Darrell, G, Deerfield A, NY/MA
Luda Ruta, F/M, Blau Weiss Gottschee/Horace Mann S, NY

REPORTED OUTGOING TRANSFERS FOR 2024

Colby
Myles Culley, M, transfer to Davidson College (Division I)

EnmoreCat

I reckon I know how the parents like the balance...

nescac1

Some Williams additions:

Alex Bethencourt, L.A. Surf
Chase Caires, Seacoast United
Lorcan Mitchell, Loomis Chaffee

If Duodo is anything like fellow Amherst Ghana import Nuhu, that will be scary for the league. 

Newenglander

Quote from: EnmoreCat on February 28, 2024, 01:22:24 PM

I reckon I know how the parents like the balance...
to be honest I may be in the minority but I wouldn't mind if they trained more - have you seen the college schedule? Plenty of downtime and some students actually thrive better in the structure......

EnmoreCat

https://blakesilverman.com/blog/amherst-williams-biggest-little-game-america/

It's not soccer, but I enjoyed this piece about the Amherst/Williams football rivalry.

Kuiper

A bit of news on an Amherst recruit:

Michael Cherico, who plays club with Pateadores ECNL and HS soccer with Mater Dei, was named California Interscholastic Federation, Southern Section Player of the Year for the Open Division.  Cherico, who scored 22 goals and had 17 assists in 25 games for Mater Dei this year, is a 6'5" striker who continues Serpone's penchant for recruiting "mammoth" guys. The Open Division is the playoff bracket that consists of the best teams from any size/division school and the Southern Section is the most populous part of California (much larger than most states). 

There are a ton of really strong players who don't play HS soccer in Southern California because of MLS Next or MLS Academies, but there are still plenty left to make this a big achievement.  A number of guys on the Open Division first team are going DI (including a Penn commit who scored 31 goals and had 12 assists and a UNC commit who had 31 goals and 6 assists), but the DIII recruit was named player of the year.