BB: General West Region Discussion

Started by DIIIBASEBALLFAN, March 09, 2009, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stitches

Not to take anything away from this year, (or any year) but last year's Sr graduating class was one of the best in school's history 4 straight years of regional's, great leadership, special group.

We won't know who the starters are until we see a few games but I believe there are 4 Sr starting position players, one Sr full time starting pitcher, a pretty deep bull pen with a number of Sr's. This team will likely be a better hitting team than last years.

Small Jr class was a small recruiting class, 5-6?.  Was boxed in by two very large Sr classes above it.

The challenge for this team will be for the Sr's who are not full time starters to step up and be leaders, without being on the field as well as who develops into 3 & 4 starter and emerges from the bull pen.  They play a very tough schedule so they have the opportunity to develop against good competition.

Scannel said this in his interview on SCAC that this team is not like last year's where it was championship quality out of the gate, this one has the "potential" but will have to develop into one as the season progresses.  The interviews are pretty enlightening I like the format, even with poor audio.

http://www.scacsports.com/sports/bsb/2013-14/releases/media_days_14

They have a JV team, not sure on the # games but in the 12-15 range.

Season opens for them this weekend, UTTyler and Chapman.

108 Stitches

Just saw a tweet:

TLU - 9 , Chapman - 1 Weather was pretty miserable.
WP: Aaron Aleman

That is a bit shocking will have to go check out the Box later.

UTT and Trinity was cancelled, no mention of new date. I'm guessing travel issues with UTT due to Ice but don't really know. 

108 Stitches

Weather: Cloudy drizzle, ice....

Chapman 5 errors, 4 unearned runs....

Don't know about the weather/travel effects, but not a good first showing. Will learn a bit more this weekend, should be two good games vs TU.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 07, 2014, 06:17:30 PM
Just saw a tweet:

TLU - 9 , Chapman - 1 Weather was pretty miserable.
WP: Aaron Aleman

That is a bit shocking will have to go check out the Box later.

UTT and Trinity was cancelled, no mention of new date. I'm guessing travel issues with UTT due to Ice but don't really know.
Yes, we had sleet and snow flurries in Tyler yesterday.  First snow of the season...

108 Stitches

Saw the Chapman/TU game today. Osaki did a good job of keeping TU off balance, not overpowering but he will work into shape. Really liked the freshman Hahn, even though his results were not good and gave up the lead this kid has good velo and will develop, he could be special. Typical early season game some good some bad. Chapman will develop over the season, not like the old dominating Chapman teams but they will be competitive, all of the pieces are there. Both teams left too many men on base, and in particular TU in scoring position, but it is early in the season.

TU's line up will develop and will be tough to pitch through 1-8, in a month IMO, could be a very explosive team offensively.  Freshmen Flores came in and looked really good, one piece of the pitching puzzle for them. Bogese a little wild, but has draftable stuff, so he can get in trouble and pitch his way out of it.

Most impressed with TLU as far as the results, sounds like a solid club, I think the surprise in the West so far.

Westside

My surprise of the West Region has to be Whitman. Last season, Whitman won the most games in a season since 1975... They had an overall mark of 16-22, finishing their conference season with an 8-16 record – their second highest win total in the NWC since entering Division III.

They are 3-1 right now, and they put up 18 runs on Whittier and 15 runs on La Verne.
NWC Baseball

D O.C.

I'll go see Trinity / CU Sunday.

Chapman can build all they want but they will be spanked if they can get back to the McMinnville regionals.

Good bye LaVerne, Pacific Lutheran, Redlands.

bzzboyz

For what it's worth, TLU swept both games from UT Tyler on Sat. Should make for an interesting few weeks of rankings. They've got Concordia next week and UT Tyler again next weekend. TLU is senior heavy and experience is always a plus.

Colorado

Hanks is tentatively set to start for Chapman today. He started and won against San Marcos the other day. Smith and McGee are in the bullpen  My brief impression of Trinity is that they are a good hitting team (especially that right-left-right combo that packs the middle of the order).   For the time being, McGee and Osaki are on pitch count restrictions. The latter threw 80 pitches yesterday and came out. His arm strength is not there yet but he said afterwards that he appreciated the moment when he took the mound. It was his first regular season game since April 22, 2012 when he hurt his elbow and had TJ surgery.   My early prognostication is that the SCIAC seems to be weaker than last year or at least everybody is struggling with their pitching due to graduation losses, bad weather or early season woes. Chapman seems to fit right into that mix with a few holes (Dillon's bat is greatly needed) and question marks that need to resolve itself soon. The Oregon schools especially the defending champs look good so far in beating up on the SCIAC teams in Arizona

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Colorado on February 09, 2014, 10:26:38 AM
Hanks is tentatively set to start for Chapman today. He started and won against San Marcos the other day. Smith and McGee are in the bullpen  My brief impression of Trinity is that they are a good hitting team (especially that right-left-right combo that packs the middle of the order).   For the time being, McGee and Osaki are on pitch count restrictions. The latter threw 80 pitches yesterday and came out. His arm strength is not there yet but he said afterwards that he appreciated the moment when he took the mound. It was his first regular season game since April 22, 2012 when he hurt his elbow and had TJ surgery.  My early prognostication is that the SCIAC seems to be weaker than last year or at least everybody is struggling with their pitching due to graduation losses, bad weather or early season woes. Chapman seems to fit right into that mix with a few holes (Dillon's bat is greatly needed) and question marks that need to resolve itself soon. The Oregon schools especially the defending champs look good so far in beating up on the SCIAC teams in Arizona
As of 2/9/2014 SCIAC is 5-20. Not exactly a showing of a strong conference so far.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Ralph Turner

The SCAC looks good so far. 

Congrats to Coach Driggers for the win over Centenary.

Ralph Turner

Nice Cal Lutheran win over a good opponent, Emory.

No "early season' bias here altho' Atlanta has had some brutal winter weather.

SoCalSoxFan

Ralph,

As mentioned under the SCIAC thread; I was surprised Emory scored 41 runs in their 4 SoCal games.
Only Cal Lu's Petersen/Hebda shut them down for 2 runs.  They other three games they scored 11,11,17.

On the other hand CLU offense started out better than expected scoring 13 and 8 against Emory (who only gave up 2 each to Occi and PP).
If Cal Lu keeps hitting that way, and they can avoid 5 error games like Game 2 against Emory, then they will be competitive in SCIAC. 

Overall, a disappointing weekend by SCIAC against the other Conferences.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on February 10, 2014, 03:58:53 PM
Ralph,

As mentioned under the SCIAC thread; I was surprised Emory scored 41 runs in their 4 SoCal games.
Only Cal Lu's Petersen/Hebda shut them down for 2 runs.  They other three games they scored 11,11,17.

On the other hand CLU offense started out better than expected scoring 13 and 8 against Emory (who only gave up 2 each to Occi and PP).
If Cal Lu keeps hitting that way, and they can avoid 5 error games like Game 2 against Emory, then they will be competitive in SCIAC. 

Overall, a disappointing weekend by SCIAC against the other Conferences.
Welcome to the Boards, SoCalSoxFan.  Glad to have you on the message boards and keep contributing.  +1!

SoCalSoxFan

Thanks Ralph,

Last year I started reading about half way through the season.  This year I decided to participate.