Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyMac

Hard to believe SLU, after that start to the season, is facing potentially missing the LL tourney for the first time since '09.  However, with 6 points from the last 2 games, they've got a shot.

Plenty of clarity will come after this weekend, and everybody will know where they stand heading into the last set of fixtures.  Should be the most drama filled final day in quite a few years!

Flying Weasel

Quote from: SandyMac on October 20, 2016, 12:21:58 PM
Hard to believe SLU, after that start to the season, is facing potentially missing the LL tourney for the first time since '09.  However, with 6 points from the last 2 games, they've got a shot.

Plenty of clarity will come after this weekend, and everybody will know where they stand heading into the last set of fixtures.  Should be the most drama filled final day in quite a few years!

But RPI demonstrated last year that missing the league playoffs doesn't have to derail a team's NCAA at-large chances.  In fact, short of wining the LL tournament (which obviously they'd want the chance to do because of AQ) the LL tournament could lower their SOS depending who they would get matched with in addition to suffering another blemish.

Part_Bart

Still thinking that only LL team that will be dancing is the AQ.

MAYBE if SLU loses in LL final they have a chance (as it would mean they have won out the season and a playoff game before a fourth loss).  Still, it would take Buff. State or Fredonia to fade (as Cortland and Oneonta are likely locks, so that is one Pool C) and Rochester likely a second Pool C.  No other team in LL has a chance for pool C.

Saint of Old

Not that I desire this, but I think if SLU wins at RIT and ties v. Clarkson they are a lock at a Pool C even if that does not get them into the League tourney.

They would sit at a very very respectable 11-3-1, with wins over 2 of the current top 5 teams in the East (Cortland/Vassar).

I also think that 15 is the magic # to get in the LL Tourney this year.
14 just wont do it. Not this year.

deutschfan

I'm actually looking for 3 bids:  SLU does an RPI; Vassar beats Rochester, and then wins out until losing away to Hobart in a shootout in the final; and Hobart gets the AQ.  You can put the white jacket on me now.   

Part_Bart

Saint of Old -- agreed -- 15 points is a lock.
SLU has to win both remaining games to get 15 points.
Hobart needs two results to lock a spot: two wins makes them first seed with 19 points.
RPI has to beat Bard to make 16 (a result leaves them at 14 points and on the edge).
Vassar needs two wins to make 16 (a result leaves them at 14 but with tie-breaker over RPI).
Skidmore needs two wins and a result from their final three LL games (@Clarkson, v. Bard, v. Union) to achieve 15 points (and they have tie-breaker over SLU).
Union needs to win all three of their final LL contests (@Hobart, @Vassar, @Skidmore) to get 16 points -- a tough row to hoe....
Clarkson would need to beat Skidmore and @SLU away (knocking both of them out) to get 13 points and join Hobart, RPI and Vassar.

Deutschfan -- like the rose-tinted glasses!
But, Vassar and SLU have weaker SOS then Cortland, Oneonta, Buff. State, Rochester and Hobart.
Pretty sure that two of the three SUNYAC teams and Rochester will get Pool C bids before any of the LL teams.
Not sure there will be a fourth Pool C team from the East....

Saint of Old

Vassar v. Rochester
Actually a very big game (albeit non conference for Vassar) could pull an RPI with  a win over a strong opponent, even if they fail to make the league tournament.
Vassar 2 Rochester 1

Skidmore v. Clarkson

Something tells me Clarkson will get something out of this game. Skidmore cannot allow that, if they do then it will spell a very tense final week of the regular season for them
1-1

Union v. Hobart
Hobart books at least a 2nd place finish in the league while closing the postseason door on Union.

2-0 Hobart

SLU v. RIT
RIT plays for pride at home and holds Saints to a tie. Saints still not scoring goals
0-0

RPI v. Bard

Must win game for RPI (believe it or not) Bard  playing its best soccer of the year and looking to climb the league table shocks the Engineers

1-0 Bard.

Mr.Right

Big Weekend in the LL.....

SLU must and will defeat RIT as they need to get a Top 4 spot or they will not be going to the NCAA's IMO. Even with 2 ranked wins there  will be others around the country with better resumes. They must get into the LL Final and then if they lose / tie they would get a bid.

I still say Skidmore wins the league. Just a disappointing loss at RPI mid-week allowing only 1 SOG and losing. They must go 3-0-0 against Bard, Clarkson and Union which is very doable.

Hobart v Union is the match of the weekend with the winner in very good shape. If Hobart wins they might win the league. Union must win out.

Vassar v UR is a huge game with Pool C ramifications. If Vassar can win(which I do not think will happen) they will be on their way to a Pool C.

I am calling a Bard upset at RPI....The team that gets RPI in the LL tourney will be a lucky one.

Saint of Old

If Bard upsets RPI.
RPI will not make it to the LL Tourney.

deutschfan

Interesting subplot in the VC v. UR game.  UR's leading scorer went to the high school right down the street from Vassar and played with one of Vassar's captains.  He may have been recruited by both schools--who knows.  Rochester tied RPI and Vassar should definitely be in this game.  Problem is that last weekend Vassar looked unsettled in both their games.  Mr. Right was right, as usual, that RIT, arguably the weakest team in the league, was controlling the second half of their game with Vassar and was unlucky not to get at least a tie.  If that Vassar shows up, and the Rochester that led Chicago after one half shows up, it will be no contest.  If the Rochester that tied RPI shows up Vassar should make it a contest.  Last time Vassar played a UAA team was in the NCAA second round in 2012 where they lost a heartbreaker to host Brandeis in the last 30 seconds of regulation.  I'm sure general UAA revenge will be on their mind even though all of the players from that team have graduated.  In general LL teams should look to schedule UAA teams, at least the ones geographically close like UR, NYU and Brandeis.  The UAA definitely has the respect of the Committee.     

Mr.Right

Quote from: deutschfan on October 21, 2016, 08:21:04 PM
Interesting subplot in the VC v. UR game.  UR's leading scorer went to the high school right down the street from Vassar and played with one of Vassar's captains.  He may have been recruited by both schools--who knows.  Rochester tied RPI and Vassar should definitely be in this game.  Problem is that last weekend Vassar looked unsettled in both their games.  Mr. Right was right, as usual, that RIT, arguably the weakest team in the league, was controlling the second half of their game with Vassar and was unlucky not to get at least a tie.  If that Vassar shows up, and the Rochester that led Chicago after one half shows up, it will be no contest.  If the Rochester that tied RPI shows up Vassar should make it a contest.  Last time Vassar played a UAA team was in the NCAA second round in 2012 where they lost a heartbreaker to host Brandeis in the last 30 seconds of regulation.  I'm sure general UAA revenge will be on their mind even though all of the players from that team have graduated.  In general LL teams should look to schedule UAA teams, at least the ones geographically close like UR, NYU and Brandeis.  The UAA definitely has the respect of the Committee.   

This I agree with. LL teams schedule Williams because of geography. RPI and Skidmore are on the schdule and in the past Williams has played Union and Hamilton(when in the LL)...UR should be playing and I believe they do play more than half of the LL...Amherst and Union refuse too play any team that is somewhat competitive...SLU and Middlebury would be a GREAT game that could be played. Midd could also play Skidmore, RPI and Union but I do not think Midd would play those teams. Maybe when Saward retires the new coach will play a tougher schedule.

Mr.Right

Skidmore up 2-0 over Clarkson at the half. If this holds an they beat Union and Bard which is likely I think they can get the #1 seed. The Hobart and Union game is BIG.

Mr.Right

RIT v SLU 1-1 15 minutes in...Did not see the goals but RIT video is very good. SLU must get this game

Mr.Right

Vassar up 1-0 with 30 minutes left in the game. If Vassar can hold on for the win it would be HUGE. Vassar would be on the bubble and most likely get a Pool C so this is a big game for them. LL might be seeing 2 NCAA tournament teams this year if the result holds which the LL deserves.

stlawus

SLU regains the lead on a nice ship shot from Augustine.  Controlling the game, but RIT did well on the equalizer.  Really good counterattack and some slick passing. 

Man, if Bard could do us a solid later in the day that would be nice  ;D.  SLU put themselves in this position though.  I vastly underestimated the impact of losing Copeland and Hunt.