FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cush

I wonder if the UAA school's offered any $ for travel to the SAA school's, with southwest, flying isn't much more than going on the dog. The whole thing is surprising though, would have thought the ncac would have jumped to 12 and taken in at least two of the UAA school's or the SAA taking all 4 if they got a travel subsidy. As for the scac leftovers, they probably need to affiliate themselves now for football. I would probably try to add 1-2 more texas school's to at least get up to 7 for other sports and keep the geography tight. Or maybe they go out and get UCSC, i like the westminster (utah) pick up if they want to go d3.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cush on December 13, 2011, 03:31:48 PM
I wonder if the UAA school's offered any $ for travel to the SAA school's, with southwest, flying isn't much more than going on the dog. The whole thing is surprising though, would have thought the ncac would have jumped to 12 and taken in at least two of the UAA school's or the SAA taking all 4 if they got a travel subsidy. As for the scac leftovers, they probably need to affiliate themselves now for football. I would probably try to add 1-2 more texas school's to at least get up to 7 for other sports and keep the geography tight. Or maybe they go out and get UCSC, i like the westminster (utah) pick up if they want to go d3.
Danville KY to St Louis MO  --  346 miles
Danville KY to San Antonio TX  -- 1128 miles

Birmingham to St Louis MO  -- 507 miles
Birmingham to Chicago IL -- 669 miles
Birmingham to Sherman TX -- 672 miles
Birmingham to San Antonio  TX  --  869 miles

This is a case of "addition by subtraction"!

Shoreman

Chicago and Wash Uare a nice academic profile fit for the SAA, which leads to better competative balance on the field. Those two schools have extremely high admission standards.

cush

Texas is a big state. If travel concerns are out the door now, i still wonder if W&L might ever join the saa and if being able to hang out with uchicago and washu now would influence such a move. Also, how long is this affiliation? With hendrix and berry adding football, this will bring the SAA up to 7 + 2 = 9 football school's, so they could still expand.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cush on December 13, 2011, 04:06:40 PM
Texas is a big state. If travel concerns are out the door now, i still wonder if W&L might ever join the saa and if being able to hang out with uchicago and washu now would influence such a move. Also, how long is this affiliation? With hendrix and berry adding football, this will bring the SAA up to 7 + 2 = 9 football school's, so they could still expand.
I really wonder if W&L would give up the comfortable parameters of the ODAC for the travel challenges of the SAA.

UChicago and Wash U have strategically positioned themselves in a fine conference to fill their schedules in October and November.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 13, 2011, 02:43:02 PM
Pity.  That was probably the one best (only?) hope for a fix to the SCAC's problem in FB.   Wonder if the SCIAC would entertain allowing the SCAC leftovers to affiliate?  Would lead to a nine-game schedule and lots of travel, and maybe the SCIAC schools wouldn't care for that any more than the SAA supposedly does.
They've traveled to Texas before.  The NWC gets another team this year.  That cuts down SCIAC/NWC games. The SCIAC plays a nine game schedule. The question is, would the remaining teams want to travel to the SCIAC
Fierce When Roused

awadelewis

The key is that  WashU and UChicago are affiliating with the SAA only for football.  So, you're not worrying about having your WLAX or volleyball teams having to fly to Chicago for conference matches.    This move raises more doubt on my part about what's happening with Hendrix's program.   Having WashU and UChicago as affiliate members makes it a lot easier to keep that auto bid if things fall through with Hendrix or Berry not being able to get their programs up and running.

cush

If the SAA wanted to copy the big league format, they could offer 3 more football only spots to Trinity, Austin and SW to get to 12. Than break off into two six team divisions with the 3 texas school's, hendrix, washu and uchicago being in a "west" division. The scac would need to expand by 1 more school for all sports to get to 7, 8 is better number so maybe expand by 2 and probably would need to look at non-football school's like westminster. If any current scac school's added football like colorado college or centenary, the SAA football league could jump to 14 members, who would play 6 division games and 2 from the other side, so travel isn't that bad. The PAC could do the same and jump to 12, maybe bring in UAA member Rochester as a football only.

Bmo

Cush,

I think that would make too much sense.  Seems like there is a bit of a "Screw Texas" undercurrent in how all of this SAA/SCAC thing played out, so that scenario most likely won't happen.

Ron Boerger

+1, BMO.  The SAA could have very easily affiliated with the remaining SCAC members in football only but said in no uncertain terms they did not want to do that.

To Cush's point, the SCAC had been working toward a divisional approach to cut down on the travel issue but then there were complaints of 'oh, we don't get to play everyone each year then.'  The SAA leadership wants to play in their own pool and to do so it's "eff the schools out west." 

cush

This is what i would like to eventually see, a 14 team football league of

east: Centre, Rhodes, Sewanee, Berry, Birmingham Southern, Milsaps, Hendrix

West: Austin, SW, Trinity, Centenary, Colorado College, Washu, Uchicago

you would play 6 division games and 2 cross over with a championship game rotated between the east and west winners campus. How to get there, the new SAA is fine at 8, just needs hendrix and berry to bring on football. The scac needs to jump to 8 full members, since they are pro travel, go with westminster and ucsc, non football school's, to round it out at 8 members. Than CC and centenary need to start/restart programs as a pair. If those two aren't willing, the 14 team league could drop down to 12 or see if the other uaa football school's would shift over some day. Or they could even jump to 16 team league if the two UAA school's were willing to leave the pac someday and play a 7-1 format, shift centenary over to the east. Travel really isn't that bad and "educational". It would be a rare sight to see one of these school's win a D3 national football title but playing in a conference championship game would have a lot of meaning and be realistic.

SUADC

Quote from: cush on December 14, 2011, 01:54:21 PM
This is what i would like to eventually see, a 14 team football league of

east: Centre, Rhodes, Sewanee, Berry, Birmingham Southern, Milsaps, Hendrix

West: Austin, SW, Trinity, Centenary, Colorado College, Washu, Uchicago

you would play 6 division games and 2 cross over with a championship game rotated between the east and west winners campus. How to get there, the new SAA is fine at 8, just needs hendrix and berry to bring on football. The scac needs to jump to 8 full members, since they are pro travel, go with westminster and ucsc, non football school's, to round it out at 8 members. Than CC and centenary need to start/restart programs as a pair. If those two aren't willing, the 14 team league could drop down to 12 or see if the other uaa football school's would shift over some day. Or they could even jump to 16 team league if the two UAA school's were willing to leave the pac someday and play a 7-1 format, shift centenary over to the east. Travel really isn't that bad and "educational". It would be a rare sight to see one of these school's win a D3 national football title but playing in a conference championship game would have a lot of meaning and be realistic.

I would love to see what you have written above. I think that would have worked out if everyone would have just had patience. Also, I could see Trinity (TX) and Austin moving to the American Southwest Conference (ASC), Austin were one of the founding members. Also, to go out on a big limb, maybe the Southern California Inter. Athletic Conference (SCIAC), this would push them to 10 teams for football.

Ron Boerger

You won't see either school affilliate with the ASC again (Trinity was part of the ASC's predecessor, the TIAA) and to be honest it would cause the ASC problems to have 11 teams ... 12 after Southwestern's program kicks off. 

awadelewis

Makes one wonder if discussions are occurring to try to poach a couple of teams out of the ASC into the SCAC.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: awadelewis on December 14, 2011, 04:10:50 PM
Makes one wonder if discussions are occurring to try to poach a couple of teams out of the ASC into the SCAC.

And which two might that be?