FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashJeff68

And the same to you, Bob, and the the rest of the PAC commentators on this board.
Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

The Mole

W&J Football in the decade was 86-24 overall with 5 PAC titles/5 NCAA bids and 3 ECAC bowl victories. I know it was discussed below, but most programs would envy that type of track record. National championship caliber? Probably not, but not too shabby in the big picture.

The top 5 in the conference (CWRU, W&J, Westminster, Carnegie Mellon & Grove City) are not cakewalks week in and out. The rest of the teams need to improve, but overall its good football, similar to the Centennial with Hopkins, Muhlenberg, Susquehanna, F&M, Dickinson and Ursinus. Would like to see more OOC games amongst this group, but I know its tough with the 10 team leagues.

Happy New Year
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

ADL70

Drat! Looks like SoS killing Rochester will be the opener again for CWRU. Perhaps not in 2021 as that is still TBD on website
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bob.Gregg

Waiting to hear that these TJ studs have been reached to by W&J:

QB Shane Stump (4.0+ student, mobile and can throw, undersized but tough, would start quickly)
WR Daniel Deabner (mentioned earlier--heard an Ithaca visit is happening...would be a shame to let this kid get away)
TE James Martinis (again, undersized but tough as nails, agile, would be a great 2nd TE, slot/run blocker)
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Bob.Gregg

Quote from: The Mole on December 31, 2019, 02:55:43 PM
W&J Football in the decade was 86-24 overall with 5 PAC titles/5 NCAA bids and 3 ECAC bowl victories. I know it was discussed below, but most programs would envy that type of track record. National championship caliber? Probably not, but not too shabby in the big picture.
Mole, those numbers are what they are.  5 PAC titles in 10 years.  5 NCAA bids in 10 years.  MOST programs would envy that record.

But the question continues to be this:  Does W&J see itself as "most programs"?  That's really what it comes down to.

If the answer is no, I'll look forward to that 5-in-10 getting back to 8-in-10.
If the answer is yes, I'll be looking forward to doing/watching someone else on Saturday afternoons.

Bob.Gregg

HUGE news out of Mount Union today, with not only the departure of Vince Kehres to Toledo, and the impending retirement of Larry Kehres.

All kinds of talk about what's happening there, the triggers, etc.

Upcoming tightening of academics, administrative power struggles (which, apparently Larry Kehres won previously), fallout from less than desired student/athlete retention (a point we talked about earlier in this thread)...

Will this be simply a blip on the OAC, or will dominoes start falling all across Division III?

WashJeff68

I wonder if Mike Sirianni would be considered/interested in the job.

Bob.Gregg

Quote from: WashJeff68 on January 14, 2020, 07:05:26 AM
I wonder if Mike Sirianni would be considered/interested in the job.
At least one person on the OAC board thinks so:

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 13, 2020, 04:03:39 PM
Obviously there will be an extensive search, but since LK is in charge of it, I'm not worried honestly. There are so many guys in D3 and HS that will be ALL OVER THIS! This is one reason I don't think Dartt or Kappas left yet.
My short list:
Dartt
Kappas
Mike Sirianni
Jason Lewis
Matt Kostelnik
I'm sure some national guys will be interested too.

WashJeff68

I've always thought that the only DIII job Mike would leave for is .MU.  I'm sure he is on the VERY short list. I can see reasons he would stay, but more why he would go. Mike will make the decision he thinks is best for him, and I respect that, and the contribution he has made during his 20+ years at W&J .

If he goes, and I hope he doesn't, I think the W&J job will be an attractive one. Timing isn't the best for recruiting. DC is an emerging talent, but not ready to be HC., although Mike had about the same amount of experience when he became HC, but as OC.

Bob, what do you think?

Bob.Gregg

I will echo your first point, WJ68--I've always thought that Mount is the only D3 job that Coach Sirianni would leave W&J for.

Despite all the posts on the OAC board (and elsewhere), what we don't know for sure is what the ADMINISTRATIVE situation is at Mount.
Regime change creates all kinds of issues, as Coach Sirianni, Coach Banaszak, Coach Luckhardt all know full well.

IF Coach Sirianni leaves, the W&J job would be an attractive one.  And I don't, at this point, see the next HC on the current staff.

Would some former assistants under previous HCs be interested?
Would current HCs at other PAC schools be interested?
Is there a rising star coordinator out there who's ready for his first HC position?

Dominoes are lined up...let's see how they fall.

E.115

A couple shout outs for a recent Case Western Reserve assistant coach Jerry Schuplinski who is a rising star in NFL circuit ... plus a few quotes from Coach Debeljak. 

From the NY Post:

Daniel Jones' new Giants mentor even left Dan Marino impressed

https://nypost.com/2020/01/18/daniel-jones-new-giants-mentor-even-left-dan-marino-impressed/

WashJeff68

And Joe Philbin '84 joins his former boss as OL Coach in Dallas.

ADL70

Potentially a replacement for Cameron Brown. First Team DI All-Ohio DE Kaden Tong. Other DLs in that group include two OSU commits and the others with FBS and FCS scholarship offers. Per Scouting Ohio he had an offer from FCS-NS Valparaiso. Interestingly there seems to be frequent competition between CWRU and Valpo for recruits.

https://twitter.com/ktong_11

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7843316/Kaden-Tong
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bob.Gregg

Quote from: WashJeff68 on January 14, 2020, 09:41:23 PM
Bob, what do you think?
I listened to the D3Football podcast earlier today.

Some thoughts, vis a vis the question here:

High profile job that's been at the top of the mountain for a long time.
VK won two national championships, and was eliminated this year by the eventual national champion, and posters (on OAC board) questioned the coaching job.
Only two ways new coach can go taking this job:  maintain program at this level or go down.

Bottom line question for Coach Sirianni is this:  does he believe he can maintain the program at the very top of DIII and, if so, can he convince new administration at UMU of that?

As I said on the OAC board, if Dartt wants the job and health issues are behind him, the job is his.  He gets to answer the questioning, the challenging.

If not, does Mike Sirianni WANT the job, is he the coach to follow the legendary coaching family, and can he convince others of his ability to maintain the national championship pedigree?

WashJeff68

Bob,

If I were Mike I'd want to be convinced the "new administration" will give the next coach the same level of support the Kehres' enjoyed.  I can't imagine going into a situation where the expectations will continue at the current level but the constrains on the athletic department are increased making it even more difficult to meet those expectations.