MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommieHoops4Life

Solid win for St. Thomas in the semifinals, and it's fitting that the top 2 teams in the MIAC all year play for all the marbles on Sunday. I think it's a formality that both UST and Olaf are in the tournament regardless of what happens in the title game.

With Erik Tengwall out injured, Grant Schaeffer was phenomenal in his place. He helped control the tempo on the floor, scored 12 points and really finished well at the hoop. Most importantly, 3 assists and ZERO turnovers. I'm not sure UST can play a much better first half. Every time Bethel tried to make a run and get back in it, the Tommies had an answer.

St. Thomas took care of the ball all night with only three turnovers total, and they'll need that again to beat the Oles. Should be a good one tomorrow.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Today is the 10th time in the 14 years of the 6-team format that #1 & #2 square off for the title,.  #1 has won 8 of the first 9 meetings (the exception: GAC over UST in 2003).

It is UST's 11th trip to the title game under the 6-team format and 19th overall; it is the first time St Olaf has reached the championship game.

In all games played, UST is 12-9 under the old 4 team format and 19-5 under the 6 team format for a 31-14 record. St. Olaf was 0-3 under the 4 team set up and is 2-4 in the new setup for a 2-7 overall record.

The #1 seed has won the tourney 10 times. The exceptions were in 2003 (#2 GAC won it all), 2011 (#2 UST) and 2010 (#4 Carleton was champ)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

AO

Congratulations to the Oles on their tourney championship!  I certainly was a doubter at the beginning of the season, but they were absolutely the better team today.  They've got the talent to make their first ncaa tournament appearance a good one.   

sac

That's going to be a tough first round match-up for someone.

miacsuperfan

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 02, 2014, 11:06:05 AM
Today is the 10th time in the 14 years of the 6-team format that #1 & #2 square off for the title,.  #1 has won 8 of the first 9 meetings (the exception: GAC over UST in 2003).
It is UST’s 11th trip to the title game under the 6-team format and 19th overall; it is the first time St Olaf has reached the championship game.

In all games played, UST is 12-9 under the old 4 team format and 19-5 under the 6 team format for a 31-14 record. St. Olaf was 0-3 under the 4 team set up and is 2-4 in the new setup for a 2-7 overall record.

The #1 seed has won the tourney 10 times. The exceptions were in 2003 (#2 GAC won it all), 2011 (#2 UST) and 2010 (#4 Carleton was champ)

Well. make that eight of the first 10 meetings.  Big win for a nice St. Olaf team today in St. Paul.  Free throws were huge, and the Oles were up to the task of making them....27 in all. 
I watched only the second half, but it appeared UST was a step slow and not ready to compete until the end.  They do miss Tengwall, but these are clearly not your daddy's Tommies. 
Congratulations to both teams; obviously St. Thomas will live to play another game as an at large in the NCAAs.  Would be fun to see these teams meet for the fourth time this year at some point during the tournament.   8-)

VOJ

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on February 27, 2014, 06:26:21 PM
I would say the webcast was of average quality.  Certainly not up to Carlton standards, but not bad.  The audio was perfect.

I think the webcast is the culprit behind the low attendance.   ;)

I forgot to mention this in my last post.  Since the J's lost, this was my highlight.

VOJ thought he was off the air due to technical difficulties.  Slight pause and you can here a busy signal.  Probably calling the station to find out what was going on.  His response:  "This is fricking unbelievable."  That is the word he used.  So no Bert Blyleven type suspension.  Too bad Anthony LaPanta wasn't next to him.  He's got experience in matters such as this.

Sorry Mark, just couldn't resist.  ;D

Time to go back to the football board for me.

ROR and Drake thanks for the kind words...timing of going off the air in the Bear was awful, right when SJU was coming back...you can site the officials but in talking to the seniors after the game, the coaches and others...too many offensive rebounds for GAC.  Fantastic group of seniors leaving, they will be tough to replace, probably impossible. 

A big thank you to Bob Alpers for his great color man work on that game and a couple of others!!

Congratulations to the Oles and the MIAC's coach K, well deserved championship!!

How long is Tengwall out?  Looked high ankle when it happened.

Interesting to see D3 bracket tomorrow

aero75

Over the last three halves of BB, it is very obvious the Tommies are not the same team without Tengwall. It will be interesting to see how they do if he comes back less than 100%.

SUMMIT!!!!!

a little slow in getting online here, had a social obligation after the game. I tip my hat to the oles--- they played brilliant basketball, had a great game plan and executed it precisely.  I saw many similarities between them and the 2008-09 UST team (Viau & McCoy's senior year). Scrappy, smothering defense, nice balance on offense. Their defensive play was the key, and it was suffocating. Congrats to the Oles and Koz on a well-deserved playoff crown-- rep the MIAC well in the NCAAs, going as deep as possible.

Here's hoping UST gets a Pool C bid.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

AO

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 02, 2014, 07:55:31 PM
Here's hoping UST gets a Pool C bid.
That's a bit like hoping for winter to come.  Inevitable and scary for the rest of the field.

AO

looking at the box score from yesterday and knew that St. Olaf won the game at the line, but found they really won it at both free throw lines.  Olaf fouled St. Thomas 21 times but managed to only give up 12 points on 20 free throw attempts, whereas the 21 fouls St. Thomas committed were converted into 27 points on 34 Olaf attempts. 

If you ever put me in charge of rule changes I would tell refs to let the offense play with the advantage (if there is one) after a foul instead of blowing the whistle right away.  I'd also let teams decline foul shots and just inbound the ball.

AO

Triple Post
I'm having deja vu from 2012 with this bracket.  Whitewater St. Thomas and Northwestern again in the same 4 team pod at Whitewater.

Olaf with a favorable first round matchup with Central, but then #1 Stevens Point if they win.  The committee wasn't able to move Whitewater and Stevens Point out of the same region so our Minnesota teams will get their toughest tests prior to the final four.

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: AO on March 03, 2014, 12:43:12 PM
so our Minnesota teams will get their toughest tests prior to the final four.

Is that some sort of prediction?

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Drake Palmer

Great win for St. Olaf yesterday!  Other social activities forced me to miss the championship game yesterday.

Looks like the Coach Koz has the Oles peaking at the right time and they could be dangerous in the playoffs. During the 2012-2013 season they came within 15 seconds of beating UW-Stevens Point at home. I think they have the players to go toe to toe with Point if they can advance past the first round
match up with Central.  Winnable game.

Bad luck for the Tommies with the injury loss of PG Eric Tengwall. Hopefully he's back at 100% for the opening round against Augustana – IL.  They'll need his defensive presence & steadying influence.

Should be a couple of good ball games & tourney.

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

AO

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on March 03, 2014, 05:12:24 PM
Quote from: AO on March 03, 2014, 12:43:12 PM
so our Minnesota teams will get their toughest tests prior to the final four.

Is that some sort of prediction?
Any Given Saturday.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AO on March 03, 2014, 12:43:12 PMThe committee wasn't able to move Whitewater and Stevens Point out of the same region

Correction: The committee was able to move UWW and UWSP into different sections. It simply chose not to.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell