FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerfanalso

just need to keep the Ad's talking. I think take four years off and put Wabash back on the schedule for another home and away. If HSC would start charging for home games the gate receipts would cover the cost. I think it cost about $75K to get the HSC squad out to Wabash last year and the gate receipts would easily cover although I think it would take an act of congress to force HSC to actually charge for admission. Thats a real sticking point for me, why leave the $$$ on the table ?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 20, 2015, 04:43:08 PM
just need to keep the Ad's talking. I think take four years off and put Wabash back on the schedule for another home and away. If HSC would start charging for home games the gate receipts would cover the cost. I think it cost about $75K to get the HSC squad out to Wabash last year and the gate receipts would easily cover although I think it would take an act of congress to force HSC to actually charge for admission. Thats a real sticking point for me, why leave the $$$ on the table ?

Lots of D3 schools give free admission to their own students (and sometimes certain others), but HSC must be among the very few that don't charge admission for anyone. :o

(Or am I again thinking IWU is 'typical' - I caught a lot of flak a few years ago for assuming attendance at basketball games in D3 was closer to CCIW standards than to zero! ;D)

tigerfanalso

Ad's have admitted finding three OOC games is becoming harder and harder each and every year. I think it makes sense for the odac to expand to eliminate the rising problem. I'm sure most disagree, however, lets act like most do agree and lets suggest a couple of schools suitable for the odac. I'll suggest Maryville and Frostburg St. 

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 21, 2015, 11:13:33 AM
Ad's have admitted finding three OOC games is becoming harder and harder each and every year. I think it makes sense for the odac to expand to eliminate the rising problem. I'm sure most disagree, however, lets act like most do agree and lets suggest a couple of schools suitable for the odac. I'll suggest Maryville and Frostburg St.

Absolutely not on Frostburg. The ODAC is private schools and it should stay that way. As for expanding, for football only or for all sports? Because there are a lot of ODAC sports that are bursting at the seams, especially women's sports. Football isn't the only sport played in the conference.

If it was me, Maryville would be ok but they've already been in and out of the ODAC and it would extend the conference further south. I'd be interested in Southern Virginia, Greensboro, or Averett from a geographic standpoint. The footprint wouldn't really get any larger. Good teams come and go, geography is permanent (on a human scale anyway) and affects costs.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: jknezek on April 21, 2015, 11:43:57 AM

Absolutely not on Frostburg. The ODAC is private schools and it should stay that way. As for expanding, for football only or for all sports? Because there are a lot of ODAC sports that are bursting at the seams, especially women's sports. Football isn't the only sport played in the conference.

If it was me, Maryville would be ok but they've already been in and out of the ODAC and it would extend the conference further south. I'd be interested in Southern Virginia, Greensboro, or Averett from a geographic standpoint. The footprint wouldn't really get any larger. Good teams come and go, geography is permanent (on a human scale anyway) and affects costs.

Those three would probably all be pretty good fits, and geographically you could maybe add Ferrum into the mix as well. Or maybe all the ODAC grads who are interested in football could make a one-time donation to Randolph with the proviso that it could only be used to start a program.   ;)
TANSTAAFL

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on April 20, 2015, 03:38:05 PM
Quote from: hasanova on April 20, 2015, 03:19:04 PM
Just saw the Guilford 2015 football schedule .... other than venues, really only one possible change with seven ODAC games and the currently unbroken streaks with intrastate rivals Greensboro and Methodist (Guilford has played both every year since they started football) ... we host Averett after a year's hiatus to play Southern Virginia.  C'mon, live a little and play a broader mix ... in my opinion, the boys deserve a home and away with another school every four year period ... much along the lines of HSC and Wabash.

Budgets my friend. It's all about budgets. Get some of those big donors to open up for athletics.
Yeah, I know what it's about ... trips to Danville and Salem are relatively cheap and do not require overnight stays.  Guilford to Averett is about 50 miles up US Hwy 29.  In my memory, GC has played Davidson, Ferrum, Maryville (TN), Chowan (now DII), Sewanee, Salisbury and Carson-Newman (DII) ... but not very often since Methodist, Greensboro, Averett and Southern Virginia started football.  Interestingly, Guilford and intrastate DIII NC Wesleyan have never played each other in football, although we have met in many other sports.

hasanova

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 20, 2015, 06:57:12 PM
Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 20, 2015, 04:43:08 PM

Lots of D3 schools give free admission to their own students (and sometimes certain others), but HSC must be among the very few that don't charge admission for anyone. :o

(Or am I again thinking IWU is 'typical' - I caught a lot of flak a few years ago for assuming attendance at basketball games in D3 was closer to CCIW standards than to zero! ;D)
While true that there was no charge for admission, I was charged $10 last year to park in the lots around Fleet, so HSC is getting some money.  A trip to SU last year cost $5 to park and $5/6 (can't remember) for the game.

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on April 21, 2015, 01:09:08 PM

Those three would probably all be pretty good fits, and geographically you could maybe add Ferrum into the mix as well. Or maybe all the ODAC grads who are interested in football could make a one-time donation to Randolph with the proviso that it could only be used to start a program.   ;)

Randolph, Lynchburg, EMU, Roanoke, or Virginia Wesleyan. Any one of those starting a program would help. But only 1. I like having 2 OOC games. It gives you a chance to have an SOS over .500 and W&L has two traditional games I don't want to lose...

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on April 21, 2015, 01:09:08 PM

I think the ODAC has the philsophical, if not geographic, mix it wants.  There are other reasons besides geography to add a school to your conference.  A more likely scenario to adding schools (for football) is to convince schools such as LC, Roanoke or even VWC to add footfall.  I think EMU abstains for other reasons and Randolph might not be ready for the number of male students and facilites required.

tigerfanalso

Jk

It looks like W&L has lost those two traditional games, at least for this year. Centre nor U of S on the schedule.
In fact W&L's ooc schedule looks pretty bad and boring but I'm afraid represents current times. I've spoken with two ODAC Ad's in the last week and they have nightmares around the ooc schedule. Three is two many, at least for most odac schools, according to them.

wally_wabash

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 21, 2015, 03:14:19 PM
Jk

It looks like W&L has lost those two traditional games, at least for this year. Centre nor U of S on the schedule.
In fact W&L's ooc schedule looks pretty bad and boring but I'm afraid represents current times. I've spoken with two ODAC Ad's in the last week and they have nightmares around the ooc schedule. Three is two many, at least for most odac schools, according to them.

It makes sense.  The USAC is there which makes for a nice geographic partner for OOC games, but after that what's left?  You don't have to get too far into the SAA before the travel gets to be a bigger deal than many schools want to do deal with.  You also don't necessarily want to do a complete, three-game crossover with the USAC.  The Centennial is there, but they're only available for one game.  Tricky position for the ODACs for sure. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 21, 2015, 03:14:19 PM
Jk

On W&L's website Sewanee is scheduled for 9/12. Centre's contract ran out again. I'm not sure who is being the sticking point on that game as it was also dropped for a few years not long ago. But losing Sewanee would be unthinkable to me. We have played them for 60 straight years. Of course we played Centre for more than 50 before that got spotty. Ridiculous.

Picking up Apprentice irritates me. To lose both F&M and Centre over the last two years... uggh. Averett and Apprentice are not who I want to see on that schedule.

Scots13

Thinking out loud here:

I wonder what kind of support there would be for a Week 12 "Bowl Game" between the 2nd place USAC and ODAC teams?

May not be feasible due to the inter-conference play OOC and by the time the regular season ends, people are ready for basketball to start. Thoughts?

I admit to not thinking this out more than "it would be cool if..."
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on April 21, 2015, 03:40:38 PM
Thinking out loud here:

I wonder what kind of support there would be for a Week 12 "Bowl Game" between the 2nd place USAC and ODAC teams?

May not be feasible due to the inter-conference play OOC and by the time the regular season ends, people are ready for basketball to start. Thoughts?

I admit to not thinking this out more than "it would be cool if..."

You'd have to find the exception the ECAC Bowls use. Not sure how to apply it because I don't know what it is. I think it would be neat, but I doubt anyone would go for it. Time out of class, the weekend before Thanksgiving, etc... Besides, that game isn't the problem. It's the OOC's that someone is saying are getting hard to fill.

@d3jason