FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cush

I was kinda joking about depauw, its a good school but really 3.6+ sounds high, well, maybe not for a cornell football player...probably alot lower for an awesome hockey player though.  Of course, everybody does like to pump up their academic team profile, who knows what range a school really looks at. I guess it also depends on how good the player is, i'm thinking B/B+ core average is fine for a school in depauw's range. The guy  i knew went to depauw had a good HS GPA but just down right awful SAT scores but he had talent, which is pretty helpful.

ADAWGISADAWG4LIFE

Cush:

Very true, Talent cant do alot of things for one in life, however for some reason it doesnt seem that Kzoo is one of those places.
You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

blb

Last winter when the K-College recruiter came to our school he said that prospective student-athletes had to have a 3.8 and a 30.

Throw in the cost and low financial aid packages at 'K' and it's not hard to see why their football program isn't even competitive.

wlcalum

A 3.8 and a 30!!?
I would think you would have to be in the top ten (students not percent)of your class to have that!?
How does Kalamazoo have any students much less football players? One would think with those grades and scores an academic scholarship to DI would be in the cards.
Isn't a 3.0 and a 26 good enough to get you into college anymore?

cush

Holy Cow...a 3.8 and 30 needed to get into K-college?, think that's more of an example of some dude trying to really pump up his school's academic profile than reality. Of course, there is a difference from just getting into a school like k-college compared to getting full aid, in the latter case you probably do need a high average. In any event, a 3.8 GPA 30 ACT score student would be welcomed at a lot of places, throw in athletic ability and they get to pick, not at the kc level...Here's some , not so recent info on duke:

Earlier this month, the San Jose Mercury News, examining data from 1994-97 (the last four-year period the NCAA used for documentation of grades and test scores), found that freshmen entering Duke on basketball scholarships during that period had an average SAT score of 968. The average SAT score for Duke's freshman class as a whole is generally in the high 1300s.

LetItRain

My son was recruited by and accepted at K-College.  He had a 3.688 GPA and 24 ACT.  However, the academic scholarship they offered barely made a dent in the annual tuition/room/board, etc... (about $8K of the $34K, I believe).

We liked Coach Brooks, but the college did not offer the degree my son was interested in.
"Talent is God given.  Be humble.  Fame is man-given.  Be grateful.  Conceit is self-given.  Be careful." - John Wooden

formerd3db

wlcalum, cush,LIR, DAWG, blb, et al:

Some of this discussion has been talked about here and other boards in the past.  However, it is always interesting to revisit it every so often (especially for some of our newcomers) for updates; and it is relevant.  While most of us are aware that GPA is not the only criteria that colleges look at (putting aside SAT scores for a moment), I can tell you that I have seen a 3.0 GPA putting some prospective students "on the borderline" for admission at some places, and including at Hope.  It is becoming very competitive to gain admission to the small colleges and universities, and especially with the continuance in rising costs to attend, as well as the limited or reduced financial packages that are being offered at many places.  Even though parents might be in the middle income bracket and making enough to survive/get by, live on comfortably, etc., paying over $100 K for a 4 year degree (and obviously even more so if you have two kids in college) is a huge task and not easy, even if you have saved, and again, espescially if a financial aid package is minimal.  People have offered suggestions at looking for the variety of some of the more obscure and less-known scholarships and grants available from other outside sources, companies, etc. (not associated with any particular school) and while that has been helpful for some students, those are still fairly difficult to obtain.

Anyway, the cost of a college education is not inexpensive.  All of us do what we have to do to help our kid(s) get one.

BTW, I'll post my picks for tomorrow's game in a separate post.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

My picks for tomorrow:

Adrain @ Albion:  Albion  Even though Adrian rebounded last week, I'll go with Albion because they are at home and will be primed to get a win.

Wis Luth @ Tri-State:  Tri-State  After seeing Tri-State play last week, they are too strong for WLC and will pound them at home.

Olivet @ Hope:  Hope   Hope is on a "roll" and it is at home.  Also, once again, I can't pick against my alma mater ;D

Kazoo @ Alma:  Alma  Alma just too strong for Kazoo, plus Alma is at home.

Once again, I wish all of you safe travels to the games and best of luck to your teams.  I hope the weather is nice tomorrow (reports say it is supposed to be) although dress warm since it will be cold.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Oops!  I hit the color yellow instead of purple for Albion in my predictions! :P ::) :-[

formerd3db

Here are some attendance statistics that perhaps some of you might find interesting.  It is good to see that attendance is up a bit this year for both home and away games, at least for Hope; although we did have a bit of a decrease last week against Tri-State, which I would attribute to the poor weather.  Here are the stats:

Home games:
3150 Wis RF  (opener)
5820 Central IA (Community Day)
4893 Alma (Homecoming)
1850 Tri-State

Total is 15,713 for an avg. of 3928

Away games:
3751 Wheaton
2637 Albion (disappointing for Albion since it was their Homecoming)
2350 Kazoo (not bad for Kazoo, although it was their Homecoming)
2790 Adrian

Total is 11,528 for an avg. of 2892

Overall, not too bad and it is nice to see some increased crowds.  I have not checked the other schools to see how their figures compare.  Anyway, just thought some of you might be interested in seeing these figures and/or the trend.

D306

Couple of tough games to call this week.
MIAA championship implications for the Hope and Olivet game.

Albion Vs Adrain: Close game and 1 of the 2 tough games to pick.
I will go with Albion at Home, offense is coming on lately and defense has matured and changed a few things up. Adrian defense is tough but I just think Albion will puy enough points up in this close game.

WLC Vs Tri-State:  Tri-State is playing well and with confidence convincing win.

Olivet Vs Hope: Wish Olivet could have pulled the win last week for the simple reason it would be for the Championship outright Saturday.
Hope at home will continue to score as they have on everyone. Olivet defense was exposed last week. I still believe Olivet has the best D in the Conference but what was up last week. Shows Alma's offense always year in year out produces points. Close game and the 2nd of the 2 tough games to call this week, I just do not see Olivet scoring enough to hang with Hope's powerful offense.

Kazoo Vs. Alma: This could get ugly Alma at home with the way the offense is jelling!!!

Great football weather this weekend a little nip in the air but should be no rain.

HS playoffs in full swing in Michigan. Some great games friday night, I will be visiting a few.

DBQ1965

Hey D306 ...

I will be at the Lowell - Caledonia game.  Where will you be?
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

hope1

yes it is supposed to be 52 saturday  i hope the crowd is big for the last home game this year for hope
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

miaafbfan

Picks for Saturday, November 3:

Adrian at Albion:  Albion  As mentioned, this is a tough on to call.  I'll go along with the home team.
Kalamazoo at Alma:  Alma  Not so tough to call.  Alma is way too much for the Hornets to handle.
Olivet at Hope:  Hope  As much as I'd love to call this one the other way, I can't do it.  Hope clinches.
Wisconsin Lutheran at Tri-State:  Tri-State  The Thunder will play tough at home.  This will be a long day for the Warriors.

And might as well throw in Michigan over MSU.

Safe travels and great games to everybody this weekend.

hope1

my picks for nov 3

adrian over albion    by a lot of points
alma  over kzoo    by a lot  of points
tri state over  lutherean
hope over olivet by a  toutchdown i think 
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch