WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundball999

Hope's Coach Morehouse was a surprise call-in guest near the end of yesterday's Hoopsville show, starting at 1:51:50.  Dave did an excellent interview and Coach Mo had some interesting comments about how the news unfolded, powerful and emotional comments about the reaction of the players and insightful views about the broader perspective.  Respect to both.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Roundball999 on March 13, 2020, 06:12:35 PM
Hope's Coach Morehouse was a surprise call-in guest near the end of yesterday's Hoopsville show, starting at 1:51:50.  Dave did an excellent interview and Coach Mo had some interesting comments about how the news unfolded, powerful and emotional comments about the reaction of the players and insightful views about the broader perspective.  Respect to both.

Yeah ... to say he was a surprised guest would be an understatement, but it bookended the show perfectly (our first guest was a bit of a surprised; threw the idea out to him only thirty minutes prior not expecting a reply so quickly). Brian contacted me during Coach Harrer's interview ... I debated if I still wanted to keep the show going (honestly, I was exhausted and even doing the show had been a challenge), but figured I don't get guys like Brian asking if I want to have them on in the middle of a show all that often ...

Incredible interview full of such great insight into all of it. I really appreciate him respecting what we do enough to ask if he could join us to talk.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Roundball999

The Hope Flying Dutch finished undefeated and ranked #1.  Maybe not national champs but I hope they put up a banner of some sort in DeVos Fieldhouse to recognize and remember this team through the years.

The Dutch will return 94% of scoring, 92% rebounding and 90% of minutes including the top 9 of their rotation.  I feel badly for seniors Arika Tolbert and Kayla Russell but the outstanding junior class should get another crack at it next season.

HOPEful

Quote from: Roundball999 on March 17, 2020, 05:59:40 AM
The Dutch will return 94% of scoring, 92% rebounding and 90% of minutes including the top 9 of their rotation.  I feel badly for seniors Arika Tolbert and Kayla Russell but the outstanding junior class should get another crack at it next season.

Agreed! They should be unanimous pre-season number 1 next season. Tufts graduates their best player in Erica DeCandido. Bowdoin graduates their best player in Maddie Hasson. Amherst loses both Hannah Fox and Madeline Eck. Baldwin Wallace graduates 4 of their 5 starters.

Let's not also forget that Hope remained undefeated and ended the season ranked number 1 dispite losing arguably their best player in Sydney Muller, who should be back next season as well.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Flying Dutch Fan

D3Hoops All-Region selections are out (link below for Great Lakes Region):

Co-Player of the Year:
Kenedy Schoonveld (Hope)

Coach of the Year:
Brian Morehouse (Hope)

1st Team All Region:
Kenedy Schoonveld (Hope)
Olivia Voskuil (Hope)

2nd Team All Region:
Rain Hinton (Albion)

3rd Team All Region:
Tara Bieniewicz (Trine)

https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2019-20/great-lakes-women

2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

TUAngola

Quote from: HOPEful on March 17, 2020, 10:43:24 AM
Quote from: Roundball999 on March 17, 2020, 05:59:40 AM

Agreed! They should be unanimous pre-season number 1 next season. Tufts graduates their best player in Erica DeCandido. Bowdoin graduates their best player in Maddie Hasson. Amherst loses both Hannah Fox and Madeline Eck. Baldwin Wallace graduates 4 of their 5 starters.

Let's not also forget that Hope remained undefeated and ended the season ranked number 1 dispite losing arguably their best player in Sydney Muller, who should be back next season as well.

Congratulations to Trine for finishing 13th in the final D3hoops poll, a jump of 10 spots from the last ranking!  Not too shabby for a team that many predicted would slide significantly after heavy graduation losses the year before.

I think we'll still be nipping at Hope's heels next season.  We only lose 1 senior, but she's a good one in Katy Steers.  Heading into next year our recruiting should focus on a couple more "bigs" and we also need to recruit a couple of playmakers at guard.  Katy set the bar high, she was a very feisty defender but also increased her scoring this year too.  If not for Olivia Voskuil at Hope, I think Katy was easily one of the best defenders in the league after her.  I am hoping that Coach Rang maybe slides Rachel Stewart into the PG slot vacated by Katy.  Rachel is also a very tough defender who was first off the bench, usually at the "2" spot.  She just needs to continue to work on her ball handling.  If not Rachel then I think either Kaylee Argyle or Makayla Ardis will get first crack to start at PG next year.

HOPEful

Quote from: TUAngola on March 17, 2020, 06:19:38 PM
Congratulations to Trine for finishing 13th in the final D3hoops poll, a jump of 10 spots from the last ranking!  Not too shabby for a team that many predicted would slide significantly after heavy graduation losses the year before.

I think we'll still be nipping at Hope's heels next season.  We only lose 1 senior, but she's a good one in Katy Steers.  Heading into next year our recruiting should focus on a couple more "bigs" and we also need to recruit a couple of playmakers at guard.  Katy set the bar high, she was a very feisty defender but also increased her scoring this year too.  If not for Olivia Voskuil at Hope, I think Katy was easily one of the best defenders in the league after her.  I am hoping that Coach Rang maybe slides Rachel Stewart into the PG slot vacated by Katy.  Rachel is also a very tough defender who was first off the bench, usually at the "2" spot.  She just needs to continue to work on her ball handling.  If not Rachel then I think either Kaylee Argyle or Makayla Ardis will get first crack to start at PG next year.

I completely agree TUAngola! Katy Steers gave Hope fits in the first and third game and really provided a spark every time Hope looked like they were about to pull away. I was really looking forward to seeing what Trine could do against Bowdoin, and am almost more disappointed for their season to end the way it did than Hope. It will be very interesting to see how much Katy's departure affects Tara's offensive production. That being said, losing Brandi and Cassidy seemed decimating loss, and the Thunder instead of having a "rebuilding" year like many predicted, played toe to toe three times with the #1 team in the country that averaged beating their opponents by a score of 75-42. So with that, I'm going to go ahead and assume Trine will be very good again next year.
Let's go Dutchmen!

Flying Dutch Fan

WBCA awards are out. 

Kenedy Schoonveld is a 1st team All-American, while Olivia Voskuil is honorable mention:

https://wbca.org/about/press-releases/player-year-maddie-hasson-bowdoin-college-headlines-2020-wbca-division-iii

Brian Morehouse also named the National Coach of the Year (an award he also won in 2006):

https://wbca.org/about/press-releases/brian-morehouse-named-2020-united-states-marine-corpswbca-ncaa-division-iii
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

AlwaysHope

Found this on MLive:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR FOR BAY CITY AREA, AND SHE'S ONLY A JUNIOR:

ABI TARRANT, JOHN GLENN

A heart-and-hustle kind of player, the John Glenn junior plays a different brand of ball than everybody else on the court. She's a point guard who thrives on rebounding, a playmaker who prefers defense and a winner who simply breaks the mold.

The high-energy, highly driven floor general elevated her game to new heights this season, averaging 19.8 points to go along with 2.8 assists and 2.8 steals per game. To illustrate her never-ending motor, she averaged 10.6 rebounds and broke the program's career rebounding record – as a 5-foot-8 point guard with another year in front of her.

The first-team all-Saginaw Valley League North performer is a three-time Dream Team honoree. She verbally committed to the Hope College basketball program.

HOPEful

Quote from: AlwaysHope on April 01, 2020, 09:53:52 PM
Found this on MLive:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR FOR BAY CITY AREA, AND SHE'S ONLY A JUNIOR:

ABI TARRANT, JOHN GLENN

A heart-and-hustle kind of player, the John Glenn junior plays a different brand of ball than everybody else on the court. She's a point guard who thrives on rebounding, a playmaker who prefers defense and a winner who simply breaks the mold.

The high-energy, highly driven floor general elevated her game to new heights this season, averaging 19.8 points to go along with 2.8 assists and 2.8 steals per game. To illustrate her never-ending motor, she averaged 10.6 rebounds and broke the program's career rebounding record – as a 5-foot-8 point guard with another year in front of her.

The first-team all-Saginaw Valley League North performer is a three-time Dream Team honoree. She verbally committed to the Hope College basketball program.

Great news when one considers the caliber of seniors graduating after next season.
Let's go Dutchmen!

TUAngola

Great interview with Trine graduating senior Katy Steers via video from Trine junior Shay Herbert.  She had a fantastic career here at Trine, 4 year starter.  Good luck in your future career Katy!

https://youtu.be/GBBxdzTXWjQ

Roundball999

Came across this wonderful blog piece by Hope assistant coach and former MIAA all-league player Courtney Kust.  What a wonderful perspective on their season, coronavirus, and approach to life in general.  Bravo, really well done and beautifully written!

https://blogs.baylor.edu/faithsports/2020/04/22/reaping-a-harvest-even-when-a-perfect-season-is-disrupted/

Roundball999

MJIAA Presidents' Council voted unanimously to postpone all conference sponsored athletic events until January 2021.  Sports affected are men's and women's basketball and swimming and diving. Wrestling and indoor track and field were not scheduled to compete in any MIAA events prior to January 2021. 

Each MIAA member school has institutional autonomy to participate in non-conference events as they deem appropriate for their student-athletes. Development of revised schedules will begin immediately.

The Presidents' Council also approved a plan for fall sports to be played in the spring semester.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TUAngola

Well, ready or not we have basketball games being played by the Trine women this week.  They have 2 back to back home exhibition games against state NAIA teams from Huntington on Thursday and Indiana Wesleyan on Friday.  They are in a very good Crossroads Conference that usually has multiple teams playing in the NAIA post season tournament every year.  It will be interesting to see how we match up against these NAIA squads.

The 2020-2021 roster is out: https://trinethunder.com/sports/wbkb/2020-21/roster  Not much turnover at all. Obviously replacing Katy Steers at PG will be the biggest challenge going into this season.  The Thunder are heavily laden with Juniors and Sophs.  4 new faces on Varsity, 3 freshmen and 1 transfer from Walsh University in Ohio.  There is going to be a ton of competition for playing time that's for sure.  I know Sr Shay Herbert is coming off surgery this past spring so she might not be available yet.  My guess at a starting 5 is Bieniewicz, Wildman, Stewart (taking over for Steers), Taylor, and Sam Underhill or Sophie Sloneker in place of Herbert if she is not ready.

I hope the games are live streamed but haven't found any confirmation that they will be.  I'm sure the arena will only be open to Trine personnel, parents and students, but haven't seen any official announcement yet.

Trine has 3 games scheduled in November so far.  Scheduling prior to conference play in 2021 will be very fluid I'm sure with additional games being added or subtracted on the fly.